Dish TV temporary?

2 hours ago, Berticus said:

Here is a link with some sound advice...

http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/mobile-internet

The link to PdaNet+ was worth the look.

I still don't get it. That article is two years old, and in today's world, that might as well be 100 years.  I have Verizon wireless in two separate accounts. One is our home phone. NOT a cell-phone. It is a wireless homephone and we take it with us anywhere we go.  That is voice only and around $50 per month for unlimited calls anywhere in the USA and Canada.  We had to put up a roof-top antenna to make it work where we live in the summer.   Our Internet account is also Verizon, but started out as Millenicom.  Millenicom sold out to Verizon.   Data for Internet, home computers and portable devices, and cell phones.  At home this also requires a roof-top antenna.  On the road, a smaller antenna and sometimes our Wilson 4GLTE amp.  This is $80 per month and capped at 15 GB which is not much with three people using it. No way can we stream any TV and I've stopped at the Verizon sales office many times in hopes of finding an unlimited plan. So far, it has not  been available.  Maybe in other parts of the country - but not here.  As I said earlier, I could of gotten my first MiFi hotspot with Sprint and they DID offer unlimited.  Problem is, Sprint has no coverage where I live and is therefor kind of useless.

Image3.jpg

I don't think Verizon does new unlimited plans anymore. I've considered renting one of the Verizon unlimited plans you can get on eBay, but haven't pulled the trigger.

Some pretty comprehensive info here: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/resources/network-management-aka-throttling-practices-for-cellular-data-carriers/

Edited by Kale

Yeah ... unlimited doesn't mean unlimited... LOL I am still searching, but I agree, I think realistically I am going to pay $80-$100 bucks... which isn't a problem as the goal is decent internet/wifi/tethered hotspots in the machine.

1 hour ago, Berticus said:

Yeah ... unlimited doesn't mean unlimited... LOL I am still searching, but I agree, I think realistically I am going to pay $80-$100 bucks... which isn't a problem as the goal is decent internet/wifi/tethered hotspots in the machine.

Seems getting something that tends to work in areas you go is the key.  That is why I have Verizon.  In central NY and here in northern MI, Verizon has the best tower-coverage.  I find the Verizon wireless home-phone to be amazing and has worked in many places my MiFi (also Verizon) will not.  The wireless homephone is on a different frequency than the MiFi when in 4GLTE mode.  If I lived somewhere like Florida, I'd likely be using Sprint/Virgin Mobile.  I WILL say I am getting sick of buying signal amps and then having them become obsolete when the frequencies change. I am on my third amp now, for use with Verizon 4GLTE.
My new one is the Wilson WeBoost Drive 4G-M. Turns one bar into 3-4 bars.  We use it in the house and in the RV.

40 minutes ago, jdemaris said:

I WILL say I am getting sick of buying signal amps and then having them become obsolete when the frequencies change. I am on my third amp now, for use with Verizon 4GLTE.
My new one is the Wilson WeBoost Drive 4G-M. Turns one bar into 3-4 bars.  We use it in the house and in the RV.

Yup... I understand that is the case... but I have ta do what I do... I have read the Wilson's are a good purchase .
B

just get a signal strength booster device. they come in all frequency flavors and some boost all of them. as to unlimited plans I am sure one of the city 3rd party (not att or verizon, such as boost) may still have plans of unlimited.

Boost is essentially reselling Sprint, always good to check the fine print:

Unlimited Use Plans. Unlimited does not mean unreasonable. If you subscribe to rate plans, services or features that are described as “unlimited”, you should be aware that such unlimited plans are subject to the Prohibited Network Uses detailed below.  

Examples of Prohibited Data uses:  Boost data services are intended to be used for web surfing, sending and receiving email, photographs and other similar messaging activities, and the non-continuous streaming of videos, downloading of files or on line gaming.

Quality of Service Practices (QoS):  To help protect against the possibility that customers may occupy an unfair share of network resources, unlimited data plan customers who use more than 23GB of data during a payment cycle will be prioritized below other customers for the remainder of their payment cycle, in times and locations where the availability of network resources is constrained.

It might work for your uses, for me it doesn't hold up to my expectation of unlimited.

"non continuous" in this case means dont leave it on crackle where crackle just runs movies non stop back to back. Watching a movie should be fine. if you are watching 8 hours of movies, you are missing out on your campground and area anyway.

3 hours ago, Totem said:

First of all , what the heck is "even satisfy JDE" mean?  Kind of an absurd comment.  Are there other people here who are satisfied with a plan that results in no connection? I don't think so.    As far as your link to Boost Mobile. I've been reading through their Website and so far have found nothing for any unlimited plan for Internet access.  Phone, music, and text, yes.  Also, do you know for sure they even have coverage in northern MI, top of the lower peninsula and the upper peninsula?  Sprint/Virgin Mobil does not.  What towers is Boost using?  You make sound as though it is simple and I suspect it is not.

It IS possible that you see a different Webpage then I do.  They are sometimes custom tailored to whatever region you are in.

3 hours ago, Totem said:

Boost's "unlimited" plan is capped at 8 GIG for wireless Internet, except for voice, text, and music streaming. Every extra GIG per month is $5. So to get 15 GIG like I have now, with Boost it costs $95 per month.  I am paying less now at $80.  Where is this unlimited wireless Internet with Boost that you found so "easy" at the price you mentioned?  Not on any of their Website that I can see.

By the way,  I am deep in the woods of the UP right now testing out my new Wilson 4GLTE amp.

46 minutes ago, Kale said:

It just depends on your requirements. I'm a software developer, my usage is atypical.

If you're ok with Sprint and can qualify as a business Unlimitedville's business plan is worth considering too: http://www.unlimitedville.com/plans

Sprint has no coverage at all in the places I use the most.

5 minutes ago, jdemaris said:

First of all , what the heck is "even satisfy JDE" mean?  Kind of an absurd comment.  Are there other people here who are satisfied with a plan that results in no connection? I don't think so.    As far as your link to Boost Mobile. I've been reading through their Website and so far have found nothing for any unlimited plan for Internet access.  Phone, music, and text, yes.  Also, do you know for sure they even have coverage in northern MI, top of the lower peninsula and the upper peninsula?  Sprint/Virgin Mobil does not.  What towers is Boost using?  You make sound as though it is simple and I suspect it is not.

It IS possible that you see a different Webpage then I do.  They are sometimes custom tailored to whatever region you are in.

well I am capable enough to look at their coverage map.. were you? Looked like it covered all of Michigan when i viewed it. ...also 4G LTE protocol rides on the same frequencies as the big dogs do. No voodoo or magic there jde; and if you get verizon I am assuming boost roaming has you covered on 4GLTE. Maybe of course, it does not but then the coverage map would seem pretty disingenuous.

But hey; if you are not satisfied or feel its "atypical" as Kale does thats fine. People struggle these days with the providers as much as the providers do with people. The reality is that cellular data is not meant to replace cable; but if you dont abuse it they should be ok with you streaming movies to a device; that's the entire point of the device. Now should you be streaming not stop all day every day ? no. but if thats what you are after then yeah PBS is probably a better solution.

3 hours ago, Totem said:

"Boom"???  Isn't it on ?\

1 minute ago, Totem said:

well I am capable enough to look at their coverage map.. were you? Looked like it covered all of Michigan when i viewed it. ...also 4G LTE protocol rides on the same frequencies as the big dogs do. No voodoo or magic there jde; and if you get verizon I am assuming boost roaming has you covered on 4GLTE. Maybe of course, it does not but then the coverage map would seem pretty disingenuous.

But hey; if you are not satisfied or feel its "atypical" as Kale does thats fine. People struggle these days with the providers as much as the providers do with people. The reality is that cellular data is not meant to replace cable; but if you dont abuse it they should be ok with you streaming movies to a device; that's the entire point of the device. Now should you be streaming not stop all day every day ? no. but if thats what you are after then yeah PBS is probably a better solution.

I don't know what the heck you are talking about.  I have tried to use Sprint for Net access at my main house and where we go in the UP. It does NOT work. Is there some aspect of that you fail to understand?  It does work fine in the city of Alpena where my in-laws live. Once I drive 40 miles to where I live - nothing with Sprint.  Verizon - yes.  Same here in the UP.

I referred to Boost mobile. I think you are mixing up Kales comments with mine. The only thing about Sprint I would recommend is that their name is what you should DO when they try to sell you their service.

Edited by Totem

26 minutes ago, jdemaris said:

not sure what you see either.. for me i get some kind of bannner showing me "unlimited voice text and data for $95 per month...

13 minutes ago, Totem said:

I referred to Boost mobile. I think you are mixing up Kales comments with mine. The only thing about Sprint I would recommend is that their name is what you should DO when they try to sell you their service.

I did point out that Boost runs on Sprint's network. https://www.boostmobile.com/#!/about/

Boost Mobile offers the best phones and no long-term contract plans on the nationwide Sprint 4G LTE network

heres an important link also:

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

not that in low mode ("camping mode") .3 GB per hour is the stream rate. With most movies averaging 2 hours per..thats .6GB per movie or every 2 hours.

assuming you watched 2 hours straight per day every day thats 18 GB per month.  not too bad but a far cry from watching pbs all day every day in HD.

to me the cellular connection should be a treat when away from cable modem/wireless access point of a campground or other free provider.

6 minutes ago, Kale said:

I did point out that Boost runs on Sprint's network. https://www.boostmobile.com/#!/about/

Interesting.. alas boost is a sprint company. I'm not a fan, just pointed it out as an option.

personally I use AT&T. I have never had any trouble using low def netflix while on the road. it is NOT my main source of internet at home however as my context was for camping; not running my household in the UP.

Frequency has nothing to do with coverage. If Verizon puts up a tower, it does not share with anyone else unless they get paid for that use.   But since you mentioned it - the frequencies certainly DO differ.  Verizon uses 1700 and 2100 MHZ for 4G where I am.  Sprint - their nearest tower that is 10 miles from my place is 800 and 1900 MHZ.   Boost is 12 miles and uses 800 and 1900 MHZ.

11 minutes ago, Totem said:

Interesting.. alas boost is a sprint company. I'm not a fan, just pointed it out as an option.

personally I use AT&T. I have never had any trouble using low def netflix while on the road. it is NOT my main source of internet at home however as my context was for camping; not running my household in the UP.

We used AT&T for years.  It worked anywhere Verizon has worked and uses the same frequencies and often the same towers are Verizon.  We switched because when we moved to northern MI, neither AT&T nor Verizon has a 15 GB wireless plan. We had Millenicom, but then Verizon took over Millenicom so here we are with Verizon MiFi.

7 minutes ago, jdemaris said:

Frequency has nothing to do with coverage. If Verizon puts up a tower, it does not share with anyone else unless they get paid for that use.   But since you mentioned it - the frequencies certainly DO differ.  Verizon uses 1700 and 2100 MHZ for 4G where I am.  Sprint - their nearest tower that is 10 miles from my place is 800 and 1900 MHZ.   Boost is 12 miles and uses 800 and 1900 MHZ.

Most providers will sell roaming 4GLTE if they are under capacity.

this is the entire concept of roaming and dual and tri band phones such as the Iphone of any flavor.

On 5/31/2016 at 1:27 PM, Totem said:

We don't have any dedicated Internet for any of the houses we live at.  We tend to live three places during the year.  None have any good hard-wire Internet available with anything we could ever stream movies or TV on.  We have a home phone that is wireless.  Same phone # I've had for 30 years.  Land line at first and then transistioned into the  wireless Verizon Home Phone Connect.  NOT a  cell phone. Just a repeater box we plug our regular home phone into. Much cheaper then the former land-line was and we take it everywhere.  So far - anywhere we live or camp - our  home phone has worked.  Needs a roof-top antenna at one place and none at another. Voice only - JUST a phone but it has been amazing. Note it is on a different frequency then Verizon or AT&T data lines and also seems to have more coverage then cell-phone repeaters. Many times our wireless home phone works but our cell phones will not.

Internet is again - just one source for us regardless if in any one of our homes, on the road, or camping. Verizon MiFi. Serves two cell phones, three desktop computers, three lap-tops, and two devices.  I'd love to have the Net available at our main home with some local hard-wired source but there IS none.  In the city of Alpena where we live in the winter - there is a service my in-laws use. It is FrontierNet.  It is phone-line DSL and unlimited Internet and it is absolutely horrible.  I go to their place to download big files now and then.  Like my DVD decryption software I get an update on every week from China.  80 MB.  At my in-laws "unlimited" DSL, it often takes 20 minutes to download it.  If I do it with my Verizon MiFi, it takes about 1-2 minutes.  HUGE difference.

The other neat thing with our Verizon MiFi setup is that our little Android cell-phones can be used as hot-spot repeaters instead of the MiFi box. So when we leave our main house we don't have to take the MiFi box with us that is hooked to a roof-top antenna.  We just use one of our little Android cell-phones to give us Internet service for any of the computers or devices we want to use.   So far - I've had five computers/devices working off of my Android and all worked fine.

As stated earlier - so far - any service that uses Sprint towers or repeaters will not work for most places we go.  Sprint works fine in the city of Alpena and totally dead at our home 40 miles away or at our place in the UP.  Verizon, in turn, works great at all.

I'm not sure I really care about streaming any movies or TV anyway .  Can you copy what you stream to a DVD and save and put into your personal archives?  Not a rhetorical question; I really don't know how that works.  We pay Netflix $13 a month for DVDs by ground mail and for that price - we get around 10-12 DVDs per month that we copy and save our own copies. This way we can watch when we want and over and over if also desired. Last count we have gotten over 3000 DVDs from them - a pretty good deal. I think when we started it was $9 per month and went up a little. Still a fantastic deal as I see it.

i know the most fun ones to make legal "archival copies" of <cough cough> are the Disney ones. i had 3 programs that could convert them to large avi or mpegs of which we kept on a jailbroken wii gaming console. The wii once jail broken is pretty powerful, can play most dvds, copy them and theres a nifty inhaler program that will inhale any game you place in it into the hard drive (which i added externally through usb) and places the games in the menu; hence no more discs ever being needed again, they just reside in the hard disk which is solid state. Its not hi def mind you but then again neither is the older dell monitor we use as a "tv". basically re-purposed some older gear to be fun on a rainy day when camping. i also have netflix, crackle amazon etc on the wii console and have wifi which usually most non state or fed campgrounds have. when we dont have internet we just run cached movies off of the drive; best part no skipping.

copying files from streaming services can be done but requires OLD technology and will only yield non HD results via svideo cable and the copying device which traps it from the cable but the up side is that the files have small footprints.

Edited by Totem

The only DVD decryption that I know of that is updated every week and works is DVDFAB from China.  Their USA website was taken down by the federal government so now they have their URL in China.  Great service. I'm not sure if a new person who lives in the USA can buy from them anymore.  When the Feds took down their USA Website - I had a lifetime subscription and was "grandfathered" in.  Every week I expect to hear they cannot do it anymore for US citizens - but so far, so good.   Blue Ray is a different story.  I have a lifetime subscription to ANYDVDHD and it is not from China. Russia maybe? It too is constantly updated but I avoid Blue Rays now.  No gain, just problems as I see it.  Cost me twice as much to copy, and twice as long. I can watch a DVD alongside a Blue Ray and cannot see any difference - so what is the point?  I feared at one time that DVDs would get phased out and Blue Rays would take over - so I geared up for it.   It costs me 20 cents to copy a DVD and often a buck to copy a Blue Ray.

2 hours ago, jdemaris said:

The only DVD decryption that I know of that is updated every week and works is DVDFAB from China.  Their USA website was taken down by the federal government so now they have their URL in China.  Great service. I'm not sure if a new person who lives in the USA can buy from them anymore.  When the Feds took down their USA Website - I had a lifetime subscription and was "grandfathered" in.  Every week I expect to hear they cannot do it anymore for US citizens - but so far, so good.  

I don't see any restrictions mentioned here, assuming this is the same thing:-

http://download.cnet.com/DVDFab-SE/3000-7970_4-75812400.html

I have no idea what DVDFAB SE is, that you linked to. It is probably a light-duty and outdated version offered free as a promo.  I see it is version 9202 which is pretty old.  My version right now is 9228.

DVD Fab used to be a www.dvdfab.com   Then the Feds forced them out of US digital space and they are now www.dvdfab.cn     When the Feds first got rid of them, there were no updates at all for US citizens,  But then they resumed and it's been kind of "touch and go" ever since.  I just looked and they are indeed selling to US citizens again.  DVD Fab Copy is what is needed to decrypt DVDs and then burn them onto your own blank single-layer or dual-layer DVD.   Right now - new membership is $47 for one year, $57 for two years, $70 for four years, or $75 for a lifetime subscription like I have. I started 9-10 years ago and never thought the service would last this long.  Absolutely the best service I have ever gotten from any software company. In fact, if I get a new release movie and cannot break the encryption, I just send an email to China and tell them.  Then it seems they work night-and-day on it until they crack it. I usually get a patch from them within 24 hours to solve any new movie problems.  Their work-ethic is so good it is kind of scary.

http://www.dvdfab.cn/order.htm?pid=dvd-copy

Man am I glad I have no real use for TV! We watch maybe 5 hours of TV a week! Local news and weather and sometime the evening news. My phone is a flip phone it really doesn't do much more than a old dial phone did except I can carry it around. We have a Fire Stick for things we like to watch, Amazon Prime and reasonably fast DSL. I have a high gain TV antenna on a 50' tower but if there are only 3 providers within range it really does not make much difference how good the antenna is.