There is a fully funded kickstarter project for a new window unit AC that would be an interesting alternative for Toyhomes. If they are on schedule for the release of the product it will happen sometime in the summer or fall of 2017.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kurt/noria-cool-redefined?ref=category

What is different about this new concept for a window unit is that it not very tall, just under 6" and only about 1/3 of the depth, about 5" projects to the outside. 5,000 BTU and 4 amps. Hopefully a good candidate to run on a small generator if they get it set up for a low power start feature.  I could see it fitting just under the rear window on the back wall in one of the rear dinette units. For the ones with a bench seat all the way across the back you would not have a middle back rest cushion.  Since it blows the air upwards it would not freeze you as you were sleeping. It is remote controlled so you could put a short plenum on the air outlet and have the air come out through a slot in the table or even a countertop.

Interesting concept, 5K is fairly small for a Toyota.

I have experimented with an 8K window AC and a Honda 2000, the Honda appears to be able to run it in hot humid Florida weather with little effort.  Jim

19 hours ago, jjrbus said:

5K is fairly small for a Toyota.

maybe depends what's bolted on the back.  my Bandit came with a 5800 btu unit from factory and I bet this would be enough for a Chinook or small Sunrader too.

I used a 5000 btu stuck in the right front door window on a table made to fit in the window. in my 18 feet 78 minimax was on full hookup in pasco wa st very hot country. maybe a little lite in daytime . not bad though 75 inside  95 plus outside. stuck a small fan on the floor between the front seats to help . was very comfortable to sleep. cost of ac 100 bucks. make window plug out of lexan Velcro on out side of door. my son bought a brand new 17 foot jayco 3 years ago came with a factory mounted 5000 btu wall unit.

Most of my life I lived without AC. In NY I built a new house and did not add AC.  I believe I only had the AC on a car fixed once or twice in NY. Just something that was not important.

Now I live in FL and seldom have the AC turned off, now if the AC in a car went it would be fixed as quickly as a flat tire. The idea that a 5000 btu AC would be sufficient just does not compute :rolleyes:  Not saying it will not work.  I also know an AC can be too large particularly in humid area's.   Jim

Edited by jjrbus

A 20 degree drop in temp and dryer air will seem pure luxury when the temp and humidity are both 95. A small table fan Adds to your comfort.

Major down side of only 5000 btus is the cool down time

1 hour ago, WME said:

Major down side of only 5000 btus is the cool down time

In my quest for a low BTU AC I thought of using the cab air to boost cool down time.  Knowing that the cab air is insufficient, but together might speed things up considerably? 

I am not sure on this only guessing,      Jim 

Don't bother hacking holes for window units... the Mach 1 powersaver is the holy grail. I am running it right now and its pulling VERY little electric draw.

it ranges on start from 970 watts and then settles to the 600 watt range; 7 amp.

I think a honda 1000 might even run it if on its own circuit.

I have it at home and can post pics of the killawatt monitor with everything running including my stock converter.  tried posting pics saturday but this site kept erroring.

For all of those who assume a roof top air conditioner is the way to go that is true for some people in some circumstances but not all people in all circumstances.

For my needs a roof top AC is not a great option.  I own one of the Sunraders that predates the era where they added in roof beams to keep the roof from sagging under the weight of a roof top air conditioner. I don't want to add beams to the ceiling.

For someone with a pop top Toyhome a roof top AC is not a good option.

I like having another (potential) option.;) As to hacking holes well I probably can get away without doing that. But then again I filled up 3 holes, 2 large and one small when I got rid of the propane fridge and furnace. So in the long run if I add in another small one I am still way ahead of where I started from.

Edited by snail powered

1 hour ago, snail powered said:

For all of those who assume a roof top air conditioner is the way to go that is true for some people in some circumstances but not all people in all circumstances.

For my needs a roof top AC is not a great option.  I own one of the Sunraders that predates the era where they added in roof beams to keep the roof from sagging under the weight of a roof top air conditioner. I don't want to add beams to the ceiling.

For someone with a pop top Toyhome a roof top AC is not a good option.

I like having another (potential) option.;) As to hacking holes well I probably can get away without doing that. But then again I filled up 3 holes, 2 large and one small when I got rid of the propane fridge and furnace. So in the long run if I add in another small one I am still way ahead of where I started from.

I do believe this unit would fit into the drop down space at the rear of the Sunrader roof. Wouldn't extend beyond the back of the camper. I love it. I don't need AC often but if it fits the way I think it will, it would look like it was made that way. Seamless. Wonder how much it's going to cost

Linda S

the kickstarter site quotes $400 retail. 

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 10:13 AM, WME said:

A 20 degree drop in temp and dryer air will seem pure luxury when the temp and humidity are both 95.

how true.  a lot of times, I only really "need" A/C to sleep....during the day, I just suffer with the ambient temp rather than go from the freezer to the furnace and back unless i'm taking a siesta.

10 hours ago, linda s said:

I do believe this unit would fit into the drop down space at the rear of the Sunrader roof. Wouldn't extend beyond the back of the camper. I love it. I don't need AC often but if it fits the way I think it will, it would look like it was made that way. Seamless. Wonder how much it's going to cost

Linda S

Physically it would fit that space but unfortunately the air exits at the upper surface of the inside which would impeded its intended air circulation pattern and it would end up with a lot of resistance of air flow. If you look at the kickstarter program illustrations it explains their theory of how they designed the airflow direction for greater efficiency as a window unit.