Tools to carry?

jjrbus

I have been kicking this around, we are limited on weight and space, so a large collection of tools is not gonna work.  What do you carry for long trips?      Jim

Jim...I always have my toolbox with me...socket set, wrenches, plier assortment, hammer, nuts and bolts and screws, meter, etc. Weighs about 30 pounds and keep it under dinette seat. Any major repair and I would have to be towed somewhere.

Carry what you know how to use. Today they make so many "multifunction" tools and sockets, a large tool box isn't necessary.

At the very least, carry extra fan belts, gas cap and radiator cap.

It is part of Murphy's law no matter how much you carry to fix some thing it will not contain the tool you really need. Simple stuff is fine for minor issues it's far better to go over every thing before you leave.

I carry about the same as RVdaytrader.  I add a 12 volt air compressor, a cordless drill, tape measure, electrical tape, duct tape.  I also carry my Good Sam Roadside Assistance card in case I need a tow.  

I will not leave home without

• breaker bar, with extension for the lugs on the rear
  • full set of metric deep wells, and their wrench
  • 2 pairs vice grips
  • electrical tape 1 roll
  • voltmeter
  • drill (cordless) and couple cordless accessories, fan, work/camp light
  • small drill bit set, and driver bits

10 minutes ago, jjrbus said:

Jack, any carry a jack and what kind, also which 12V compressor?   

Bottle jack is probably the only thing with enough lift force to raise the rear axle.

Get a low profile at least 12 ton rating. It has to be able to fit between the rear axle and the ground.

12 volt compressors are really pretty useless. Low tires can be filled at most garages. If the tire hits a nail, it has to be plugged before adding air. Not something your going to be doing on the side of the road.

I always carry a jack, jack stands, breaker bar with extensions for duallies, couple screw drivers, socket set, heavy duty wire cutters. I had to change a starter in an autozone parking lot once and it was easy with all the tools I had on hand. Ever since, I won't leave home without them.

Edit: Also a harbor freight 12v compressor with a cigarette lighter extension cord (from home depot) for the air bags and tires.

Edited by Dunce
Added items

^disagree 100% on not carrying compressor fred

12 volt compressor gets used on my rig all the time, but I didn't consider it a toolbox item I went with the one that slime sells alongside a bottle of slime and I don't use it on the tires usually.. I use it on airbags. you don't want to ride on airbags after they leak out or you will ruin them, not even a short ride to the garage/gas place. Slime also seals them up nice... even my brand new bags leaked a bit.

Also a butyl tire plug kit because its going to be way easier to put one in than a spare tire swap out if you have spare cranked up underside like me. So I guess that's in my kit too.

(I also have the stock bottle jack and lug wrench set but they will NOT get off stiff rear lugs hence the breaker bar.).

my vice grips have the wire cutters in them, but agree with dunce.. gotta have tools.

Edited by Totem

If I told you all the extra stuff I carried in my RV - you'd think I was nuts. I will say, it has paid off for me many times. I do the same in any vehicle I drive long distances and/or in remote areas.  Both my Toyotas have on board, a gasket set, water pump, fuel pump, ignition module/ignitor, belts, and a starter motor.  I also carry a small tool-box with most tools needed when doing common repairs.  That being said - I just screwed myself two-times over on the trip I just came home from. I just drove 2000 miles pulling a trailer with my diesel truck.  #1 - my extra parts box always had a new starter BUT I left it home this time.  #2 - my toolbox had gotten pretty heavy and I "cleaned it out" to just the bare essentials.  So, guess what?  I was just starting the trip, 300 miles from home and the starter stopped working.  I then found out none of the many auto-parts stores I tried stocked one.  So I ordered one in NY (while in Ohio) that was my destination place a day later.  When I got there - on a Sunday with all local stores closed - I discovered I could not get my starter off because on bolt required a 3/8" drive, 1/2" universal swivel socket and I had recently removed the set from my toolbox.  So, NEVER again. I left my truck running for four days straight and made it home.

First trip I actually took I brought every tool I ever used to work on the dolphin, probably totaled 250 pounds, all put in the shower and man did it steer like hell. Definitely remember that any extra weight should go in front of the rear wheels.

I'm with JD. I carry a complete tool kit. Sockets, ratchets, breaker bars etc. I also carry complete extra ignition system. Short of a major component failure, I can fix anything that breaks while on the road.

The point I made to Jim, and maybe I wasn't clear, that you carry the tools you know how to use. If for example, you've never changed a starter, carrying tools to do that job is a waste.

As far as the 12v compressor goes, I don't have air bags so I never considered it. My experience with 12v compressors is it takes them forever to do even a simple job. If your air bags are leaking, better to fix them then to depend on adding air on a regular basis.

I do have a dewalt slim tank compressor. It runs on 120v off the genset. I use it for work as well as tire issues if they occur.

With the addition of my gm axle, I also carry an OTC 1929 specialty socket in the event I have to change out a rear axle shaft.

I carry all these things because I know how to use them. Otherwise its just extra weight.

I carry a CHEAP, $45, set of HF tools that come in a plastic carry case, a volt meter, spool of bailing wire, rolls of duct tape and selfusing tape, a good stand up portable light., mech gloves, 2qts of oil, tire changing tools and a proper jack .

No anti freeze, got a whole RV full of water for emergency's.  Also practice changing a rear tire at home, not for the first time on the shoulder of a hwy

4 minutes ago, WME said:

I carry a CHEAP, $45, set of HF tools that come in a plastic carry case, a volt meter, spool of bailing wire, rolls of duct tape and selfusing tape, a good stand up portable light., mech gloves, 2qts of oil, tire changing tools and a proper jack .

No anti freeze, got a whole RV full of water for emergency's.  Also practice changing a rear tire at home, not for the first time on the shoulder of a hwy

I agree. But your also comfortable doing that work yourself. You know how to use the tools you have. Some people are not.

think in terms of what usually strands people and plan for it.  usually rubber bits....tires, hoses, belts.  cooling system woes.  charging or starting system woes.  rarely brakes or suspension.

here's a good discussion on various 12v compressors, from guys who are always having to air their 33" tires down and back up 4 at a time:  http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=81425     seems to be some consensus on the Northern Tool red one, but one guy suggests some mods to it.  Viair or Puma is great if you have lots of $/room.  I also have the Slime compressor, and it's sloooow for truck tires.

did anyone mention a tow strap or jumper cables?  cross type lug wrench (dual leverage will bust loose lugs that breaker bar would strain on).  have you loosened and re-tightened each lug in your driveway, or were they last put on by knuckle dragging guy with impact wrench to the tune of 250 ft-pounds?  takes 10 minutes.  guess which is more fun to undo by the side of the road......

x2 on the tubeless tire patch kit!  spare keys, distributed among party.  multimeter in padded case.  new wiper blades.  FUSES (dirt cheap from Rock auto) and bulbs. 

all purpose, repair-all, metric and standard tool.....the VISA card.  ;)

I tend to carry a pretty full toolkit along with a bunch of spares.  if you do preventive maintenance, save the old bit (assuming you're doing it before the old bit was completely toast....) to carry for an emergency limp-back-to-civilization spare.  hoses, belts, stat, water pumps, distrib cap n rotor, plugs, one plug wire,  etc etc.

a lot of stuff can and should be checked in driveway before you leave.  wiggle the tips of fan blades to check for water pump wear.  test alternator output.  when was the last time you checked the pressure in your spare?  even if you have compressor, better to have the spare ready to rock.

if you have a manual trans, no need for extra starter..........

wobble extensions.  tube of (gasp!) RTV.  self-amalgamating electrical tape (the kind that fuses to itself when stretched, also fixes hoses.)  fuel filter (another item where you can carry your old one if you replaced it before it was clogged).  extra hose clamps.  baling wire and/or coathangers.  penetrating oil.  brake cleaner spray.  hand cleaner.  Reflectix mat in case you have to lie on cold or hot ground (your windshield shade doubles as this if you make one from Reflectix).  extra paper towels and rags.

Good example of the new technology available in hand tools. Pricy, but looks like a handy item to have.

http://m.sears.com/istone-16-in-1-multi-gear-wrench/p-SPM7758988628

my limited experience with multitools like that is that they commonly won't fit in where you need to get.  give me a regular set of wrenches......and remember, for the Toy portion, you don't need all of them.  8, 10, 12, 14, `17, 19 mm will do 97% of the bolts on the Toy.

my 500watt 30 AH battery powered ebike will be the go getter for anything else I am missing.  if I cannot carry it back on that bike i got a tow truck commin anyway. 30 AH is 54 mile range. not bad, if you cant get a part and back in 54 miles you are either in the UP or the dakotas. rest should be good.

Edited by Totem

Agreed. I simply used that tool as an example.

I would still want a set of regular wrenches in case you have to hold onto a nut while turning the bolt or visa versa.

The tool is appealing because it #1 is dropped forged. It will take a lot of torque without breaking or splitting like the cheap metal Chinese sets. #2 it is multifit, which means it should work well with slightly rounded nuts and bolts. #3 it has a pass through design which does away with needing a deep wall socket. #4 it ratchets and can be angled if needed.

As far as the SAE side. Not every bolt in the coach may be,metric.

Again, I'm not suggesting this tool is for everyone. Just a neat concept.

My tool box is all Snap-on and craftsman. I would have no use for this tool. But it's still cool.

you are either in the UP or the Dakotas    or WEstex, NM, AZ, WY, MT, ID, MX, etc etc.     but your point is a good one.

i always pack the MacGyver hat........I once had to make a heater valve gasket for my MG from cardboard notebook and sillycone, and then replace a fried wire in the distrib with a section wire cut from extension cord.

also:  emery boards and 240-grit SiC paper and wirebrushes, to clean electrical contacts.  electrical crimper/.multitool and a bunch of crimp on terminals. 

Don't forget to carry some short sections of heater hose. (both 5/8 and 7/8), along with some 1/2" and 3/4" copper plumbing pipe sections.

Great for those emergency roadside repairs. ?

good point. 

does everyone know that you can bypass around your heater if you blow one of those molded heater hoses?  just route a hose from the outlet on the block or head to the inlet on the block or head (sorry, not sure where they take the heater water from on 22r.....usually the head on most engines).  you won't have a heater til you get home but you'll get home. 

along those same lines, if you carry any water in gallon jugs for drinking, take one jug of distilled.  drinks just like the regular stuff but you can use it in radiator and batteries.

I have to admit that I have a serious addiction to tools.  Good thing the wife is tolerant.  A few years ago I purchased one of those two drawer, flip top tool carts as it would be easier to move around the garage and driveway than the big chests.  The idea was to come up with a system for having the most used tools at hand.  Over time, what I used most, ended up in the cart.  I extended and shrank this concept for general maint around the house using an electricians tool bag.  Things like a utility knife and power screwdriver and such.

The point I'd like to bring out is that among the many sets of wrenches and sockets and so fourth, there are those sets that have proven to be more useful and that I just lean on.  Even socket sets.  I prefer the 6 point deep and shallow impact sets I have to the others.  When I travel I pack a tool bag out with those tools that I'd most want if stuck on the side of the road rather than a set that I'd make due with.  In the worst of cases, I want the best I have for tools.  I also carry that electricians bag too.  The RV already has the basics including a set of jumper cables, jack and so forth. We also do a lot of fishing at night and use a portable power unit that has an inverter and air compressor built in that will also jump start an engine.  I also carry a couple of the double sided multi-compartment tackle/parts boxes.  In them I have fuses, crimp connectors, screws and such.

Basics are wrenches, sockets with favorite ratchet along with short, medium extensions and a universal. 11 in 1 Klien multi-screwdriver and a small cordless drill and bits.  Automotive basics including stuff like a test light and battery post tool.  Assortment of pliers like needle nose and vice grips.  What you bring depends a lot on what it is you are comfortable with working on but on top of everything, don't forget to pack a good pair of mechanics gloves.

28 minutes ago, Back East Don said:

In the worst of cases, I want the best I have for tools.

man after my own heart.  when i'm stuck by side of road in the middle of the Vizcaino desert, I don't want to be battling the HF tools as well as the dead vehicle and the heat......they have their place:  on the boat, so I don't have to cringe as I watch good tools inexorably rust away from salt exposure

good point on the gloves.  I also carry a set of nitrile ones for dirty but not dangerous jobs.  no drill yet, but I have an old 12V Crapsman that is going to get a lamp cord and alligator clips to run off truck battery.

17 hours ago, payaso del mar said:

my limited experience with multitools like that is that they commonly won't fit in where you need to get.  give me a regular set of wrenches......and remember, for the Toy portion, you don't need all of them.  8, 10, 12, 14, `17, 19 mm will do 97% of the bolts on the Toy.

When I was a kid and bought my first set of metric wrenches to work on a Lancia - they not only came in all the full sizes, but also many half-sizes, like 12.5, 13.5, etc.  Now?  I find that many "sets" leave out many of the whole sizes.  I am living away from my main workshop and have been trying to equip my "remote" place with tools on an ad hoc basis. I just got done taking the engine apart in my Suzuki.  Even though I had bought several socket and wrench "sets" - I wound up making many trips to the city to buy more tools.  Like 16 mm, 18 mm, and 20 mm wrenches and sockets (needed them all and none in my new sets).  Tap and die sets have gone the same route.

35 minutes ago, Totem said:

yikes you diss HF tools and run a 12 volt crapsman drill? heheheh couldnt resist. go ryobi. you wont look back.

I've only gotten one bad "tool" from Ryobi.  Their 18 volt powered air-compressor is a piece of junk. Has a real hard time making 80 PSI that my truck calls for. As far as HF goes - I have never had a problem as long as I stuck with their yellow power tools and stayed away from the blue.  I still have many drills and grinders I got from Harbor Freight in the late 70s and they still work great.

Thanks for all the responses, how come when I ask for money no one answers:D

Last motor home I carried lots of mechanical and electric tools. Plus a portable table saw, 4" jointer, router/shaper table, mig welder, acetylene outfit and a 12 ton air over hydraulic jack with a 2 HP compressor.  Should have seen the look on the guys face with a broken trailer tongue on a Sunday afternoon in the rest area on the interstate when I pulled my welder out. Was he happy!

I'm thinking I really need to downsize for the Toy. I was thinking some multi type tools, but you guy's are right, they seldom fit where you need them. I would like to have a small compressor and looked at a couple of the cheap ones and they will not do. The harbor freight one has an odd connection that would not work for me.  I want to be able to use my dual air chuck with whatever I buy.  Anyone got a recommendation on a small light weight 12V compressor? 

well, not sure Ryobi makes hand tools yet.......  Totem, point well taken.  I bought that 20 yrs ago when I was young stupid and poor.  pretty much stuck (and happy) with Dewalts now since have a batch of tools and batteries.  bet it will work for emergencies tho.

I use a lot of HF stuff, but more often their power tools.  after I smoked the HF angle grinder, replaced it with a dewalt and was amazed at how much less vibration and consequent hand fatigue I was getting.

I use HF tools, some are great some are so so.  But if I am going to use a tool once there is not sense in looking for a Snap On.  I have some sets of HF tools where the most often used one is worn out, say a set of taps and dies,  most of the set I am not going to use, but the ones I do use say #8 #10 and 1/4" I buy good ones when they wear out.  I have a HF sliding chop saw,  for junk use.  So loud, scares me every time I pull the trigger. Does not like to stay in alignment well either.

I saw a contractor at the VA using HF power tools and asked him about it.   He said he buys them by the case, if someone drops one off the roof, he gets another out of the case, if one gets stolen, he gets another from the case,  makes sense to me.

I used to use DeWalt, but got sick of buying expensive battery's so went to Ryobi and have been happy with them. Although the chucks do not grip as well. I need to pick up a small power screw driver, at times the 18V is just waaaaay too much.   If I was doing this for a living, different story maybe?   Jim

on the first page changing rear tires mentioned....................my recent purchased Sunrader has high-tread rear tires, access to the outer tire-valve stem is reasonable, BUT

on my bucket-list is pulling the rear tire-set......AND installing extension hoses from the inner valve stems. anyone know how long these extensions need to be?

Ebay has 'extensions' starting at 7 inches long, some rubber, some stainless steel, again how-bout your hard-earned experience stories? the big-rigs i've driven have had them, but i have not seen extensions mentioned as i've read thru this site.

thanx red