Drapes be gone, curtin crushers

Unhappy with curtains but clueless as what do do until Derek posted a link!   So this is all his fault. I am waiting for some polyurethane to dry so instead of finishing another project I started a new one!

Other than collecting solar energy, I consider the front window useless so will that will be a fixed cover.

I did not care for gluing the fabric to foam sheets, not actually to foam but to a thin plastic membrane coating the foam, so using a wood frame and staples.  I also did not want to lose the use of little windows, but have no use for the big one across the front, so that panel will be fixed.

Missed a bit in my planning, I could have easily installed magnetic catches during construction, but now have to change to self closing hinges and figure out a way to prop them open when I want the ventilation?

A few 1X4 cut up $10, a sheet of foam $12, some glue and screws, I am using a friction fit to hold the foam in the frame with some caulk, closeout cloth from Joann's fabric at $3.50 yd.  My wife and I found a material that we both liked and then realized we were looking at the back, so the back it is!  I will have to add a couple $$ worth of self closing hinges, oh well.

Now on to those pesky side windows.                                             Jim

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0615.JPG

IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_0620.JPG

you really do beautiful work, and git-r-done as well.  looks nice!  and gives me ideas for what to do with the for-now-bare reflectix covers on the giant side windows on El Bandito.

Thanks for the response, greatly appreciated.  I am toying with an idea for the side windows.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Conservation/ThermalShades/ReflectexShade.htm

I am in Florida so every little bit helps!  

One picture has me confused as it looks like there is a pin welded into the conduit?   But no mention of it in the article.    Jim

toy.PNG

you mean welded in lengthwise, as an axis for it to rotate on?  you could use a hole saw to cut a plug of about the right diameter to fit into your EMT*, stick a bolt through the hole and tighten nut, turn it to exact right diameter by spinning it in a drill press or even hand drill against 100 grit alox paper, then JBWeld into place in the conduit

*oak works well, and I bet you have a scrap or 2 from those cabinets.  I also use the TREX faux-wood decking for this when water absorption might be an issue.

On 4/19/2016 at 1:34 PM, payaso del mar said:

you mean welded in lengthwise, as an axis for it to rotate on?  you could use a hole saw to cut a plug of about the right diameter to fit into your EMT*, stick a bolt through the hole and tighten nut, turn it to exact right diameter by spinning it in a drill press or even hand drill against 100 grit alox paper, then JBWeld into place in the conduit

*oak works well, and I bet you have a scrap or 2 from those cabinets.  I also use the TREX faux-wood decking for this when water absorption might be an issue.

Good idea, I will toy with it when I get a chance.  Jim

Almost done, need to figure out what kind of fasteners to use across the front and have to change the wall light plan, the lights  will need to be much smaller now.

IMG_0629.JPG