A few months ago my alternator belt broke while driving. I pulled over with the engine running to investigate the sound. Because the engine was being kept cool by the wind while I was driving, it didnt start to overheat until I pulled over with the engine still running. So I replaced the belt and due to the overheating, I put about a gallon of water in the radiator. I never bothered to flush it and replace with antifreeze because I was in Southern California. I'm about to head into the colder climates of northern Utah and southern Idaho and remembered that maybe I need to drain the current coolant mixture and put in a new 50/50 mix because of that gallon of water I added months back. Can I just drain the radiator and poor in a 50/50 antifreeze? Or do I need to completely flush from the block and run hose water through the radiator first? 

Yes, no and maybe!!!!

It depends on what brand of antifreeze was in it. Red, green, orange????  If you don't know then a flush is in order. If you do flush refill with the Toyota red antifreeze.

There has been a lot of arguments about antifreeze for Toy's and in IMHO the Toy factory red stuff is some of the best for aluminum/iron combo engines.

Look in the photo section, members section, there are some photos of red and green antifreeze Not mixing. Caused a new owner endless grief and lots of $$ spent.

Edited by WME

29 minutes ago, WME said:

Yes, no and maybe!!!!

It depends on what brand of antifreeze was in it. Red, green, orange????  If you don't know then a flush is in order. If you do flush refill with the Toyota red antifreeze.

There has been a lot of arguments about antifreeze for Toy's and in IMHO the Toy factory red stuff is some of the best for aluminum/iron combo engines.

Look in the photo section, members section, there are some photos of red and green antifreeze Not mixing. Caused a new owner endless grief and lots of $$ spent.

It's a bright green. Leads me to think I don't need to bother draining it and replacing. But I'm not sure. 

IMG_1698.JPG

Go to Wmart and buy a cheap anti freeze tester and see how good yours is.

If you do not know what type of coolant it is, then likely not knowing how long it has been in there? So maybe too many unknowns and a flush and fill is in order?

There have been endless dissertations written on what kind of coolant to use. 

The only article I read that made any sense was use the coolant it came from the factory with,  as near as I can tell Toyota red was not invented when your machine was built! The book for my 94 says use ethyl glycol coolant and does not specify a brand or color.

In any case the pre mix is not going to work at this point unless you completely drain your system and put all new in. I believe you have a 9 qt system (I could be wrong, I don't have that engine) only talking a gallon of coolant so no big deal.

HTH  Jim

Edited by jjrbus

Hmmm, if you lost  and had to add 1 gallon of water and you have a 9 quart system. You must have had pure coolant in your system? 

I'll second the not knowing age it is time to renew coolant, not because of temperature, but because additives may be too old.  Jim

• 2 weeks later...

agreed I have seen aluminum heads totally eaten  up from never changing coolant  

yes, absolutely.  you don't want tap water anywhere near batteries or cooling systems.  the water in our area leaves scale on a new faucet in 4 months!  if you can't find distilled in an emergency situation, I think reverse osmosis purified water would be your best alternative.

Edited by payaso del mar