please forgive me if this topic is not in the correct category.................but here goes

My 1986 Sunrader, originally A/C equipped, doesn't have a compressor, the mount, the filter drier and hoses from the compressor to the evaporator. 

It appears the compressor has a single v-belt electric clutch pulley, and is driven from the second groove of the crankshaft pulley.

Does anyone have pictures of the motor with the A/C compressor, mounted and properly secured?

IF you have this equipment and would sell it send my your price, w/ shipping to 48184, thanx

Does anyone know who was supplier of the aftermarket kit?

thanx red

Edited by red-ryder
clarity

I have a oem system on my 1987 c&c. I think that we have the same base vehicle, didn't they make changes in 1985?

Can't take pictures right now but I will try to get some tomorrow.  You have the same problem that I have in WI in that all of these old trucks have been scrapped out but the salvage yards.  Maybe you can get parts from a mail order salvage yard.

9 hours ago, red-ryder said:

please forgive me if this topic is not in the correct category.................but here goes

My 1986 Sunrader, originally A/C equipped, doesn't have a compressor, the mount, the filter drier and hoses from the compressor to the evaporator. 

It appears the compressor has a single v-belt electric clutch pulley, and is driven from the second groove of the crankshaft pulley.

Does anyone have pictures of the motor with the A/C compressor, mounted and properly secured?

Here is a close-up of the compressor and adjuster/idler pulley on top. This on my 1988 22RE.

DSCF5525.JPG

There were different suppliers of AC units on the 4 cylinders they are not Toyota's they all were installed in the states. Some had idler pullys some the compressor moved to adjust the belt. Resurrecting an old system that has been open for years and finding parts is going to be quite expensive. A quick search turned up a compressor kit and a hand full of parts like expansion valves and driers for $300 but no mounts etc.

re: maineah---- i figger $500 to get my A/C functioning, unless the 'planets align'                                                                                                                                                            jdemaris---- thanx for the picture!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                bob c---- salvage yards seem pretty scare                                                                                                                                             

does anyone have the part number for the A/C compressor? 

i have dealt with several aftermarket A/C systems---thru the years---i prefer the solid mounted compressor with a dedicated idler. gaining belt tension by moving the compressor can be a real 'challenge'!

from a purely business perspective it makes sense that there were various/numerous A/C suppliers.  my research shows there were manufacturers of aftermarket A/C components in central Texas, some re-located to the elkhart indiana area to supply the RV market.  however when the RV market tanked several years ago many RV suppliers closed-up-shop.

i plan a trip---soon--- to elkhart to do-a-L@@K-see for who and what is still there.  i have been to elkhart to search --- the surplus businesses ---for odd RV parts several times. it makes for an interesting trip.there are several RV manufacturers just north of elkhart in three rivers, white pigeon sturgis, michigan

for we, who travel with SWMBO's---(She Who Must Be Obeyed)---- plan a trip when Shipshewana Auction & Flea Market,  tuesdays and wednesdays, may thru october, to allow varied 'searches'.......

plus........search out RV manufacturers offering factory tours......................

i will continue my quest for A/C components

thanx red

don't give up on building it back out; nice AC often is a life saver while crusing. the bigger question is was its system converted when it did exist? if not tack that cost on also.

I would tell you the same cash would be better spent on a rooftop coleman polar cub (make USRE to get the mini low power draw rooftop unit) and a Honda eu2000i or HF predator 2500 inverter generator - that's because a converted AC system in these barely gets cold enough to cool the cab alone and you must drape a curtain down.

It certainly will not cool the rig in the back. You will need rooftop AC no matter what; we run our generator with the rooftop while driving and don't even barely use the cab AC as it puts drag on the motor and noticeably slows the toy down even more.

Despite appearances the Coleman Cub is not the best low current usage roof top AC.  The most energy efficient title goes to the Coleman Mach 1 power saver.

Also the small 2000 watt generators will not dependably run a RV roof top air except the old 7 & 8000 btu ones.  And yes I can go out today, and run my 11,000 btu roof air with my Honda 2000. Today 80 degrees and 50% humidity, plus I am slightly above sea level.  Take the temp up to 90° and 80% humidity and it will not start the AC!  Yes I have a hard start capacitor installed.

There is a new player in the rooftop ac, can't remember the name??   Claim is it will run on a 2000 watt, genset, the Honda is not a 2000 watt continuous gen set, it is 1600 watt! Not enough feed back on the new one for me to consider them.  

meh, 9000 btu older polar cub will always start on a 2000. the 11,000 btu power saver while on paper looking sexy wont work in real life.

Hence why I suggested a cub which was discontinued. Its what I am hunting for now.

Edited by Totem

the Bandit uses a 5800 btu "ChillAir" unit built into the wall.  7.8 amps on DC., IIRC.  when it dies i'll likely replace with the guts from a 5-6000 btu window unit.  one guy claims be have been able to run a 5000btu Haier (common cheap window unit brand) on a 1000 watt Honda gen.....

sorry, I seem to have gotten away from your initial Q there.  the compressor bracketry would be pretty easy for any welder to make up, although if you found someone parting a truck or 4skinner, you could probably just buy it pretty cheap.  Sanden compressors and idler pulleys/swing arms are pretty generic. 

here's a good site with info on planning the system and a source for small components (altho I suspect you could get stuff cheaper at your local auto A/C shop).....haven't dealt with em but they seem to have a good rep with the hot rodder crowd:  http://vintageair.com/

7 hours ago, red-ryder said:

Bdre: maineah---- i figger $500 to get my A/C functioning, unless the 'planets align'                                                                                                                                                            jdemaris---- thanx for the picture!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                bob c---- salvage yards seem pretty scare                                                                                                                                             

does anyone have the part number for the A/C compressor? 

thanx red

My 1988 with a 22RE has a  Diesel-Kiki compressor - model DKS-15BH, spec # 509618-5704.  I junked a 1987 also with 22RE that had the same AC Diesel-Kiki compressor (kept it for a spare). A 22R with a carb usually has a Nippo Denso model 10P13C. Both my 1978s with 20R engines have Toyoda Denso model 6P134 spec # 047200-038

If you are starting from scratch it really does not matter what you hang on it they all work exactly the same.

6 hours ago, Totem said:

meh, 9000 btu older polar cub will always start on a 2000. the 11,000 btu power saver while on paper looking sexy wont work in real life.

Hence why I suggested a cub which was discontinued. Its what I am hunting for now.

Coleman made a mini mach 7100, then went to a Cub 8200, they would work on a Honda 2000.   Good luck finding one I looked for months.   The power saver looks better on paper because it is better, higher BTU's with lower current draw! New Cub, 9200 btu ARI standard conditions LRA, 45.6, Power Saver ARI standard contions LRA  41.5. The new 9200 BTU cub delivers 200 cfm of air and the Power save delivers 325 CFM.  The cub has a slight advantage at 1000 running watts vs the PS at 1025, but at a cost of 125 CFM,   

we shall see... I just ordered a power saver Mach 1 11,000 which I found an awesome deal on just now.

Was able to snag one at www.ervparts.com for $581.

My old Mach 3 13500 will be coming down and going on fleabay/craigs.

Like you I simply couldn't find an original polar cub 9201 Alpha model. the second model they released (newest one when produced) as you stated has worse stats than the power saver mach 1. So I took the plunge before prices ramp up in July.

Edited by Totem

Hey, Red:

I have a 1986 Sunland Express with the aftermarket A/C compressor installed - looks identical to the picture. It was dead - it's a single wire compressor and it wouldn't kick over even with 12 volts present, so I ordered the Volvo kit off of eBay from here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-740-760-780-940-DKS15BH-A-C-COMPRESSOR-NEW-KIT-/121076323776?hash=item1c30b615c0

I still haven't installed it yet (haven't had the time, tools or know-how) although all the components look identical. Let me know if you have any luck with it...

-Rob 

Edited by RiggerRob

8 hours ago, Totem said:

we shall see... I just ordered a power saver Mach 1 11,000 which I found an awesome deal on just now.

Was able to snag one at www.ervparts.com for $581.

My old Mach 3 13500 will be coming down and going on fleabay/craigs.

Like you I simply couldn't find an original polar cub 9201 Alpha model. the second model they released (newest one when produced) as you stated has worse stats than the power saver mach 1. So I took the plunge before prices ramp up in July.

Did you look into Atwood, they are getting some good reviews.  What concerns me is the claim by the company that they will start on a 2000 watt genset but the only LRA listing I can find is 63 LRA and not sure if that is a misprint or from the company or somehow overcome with a capacitor?   They have a dual fans so are supposedly much quieter.

I'm married to coleman as I already own the controller/blower; however I did check the low energy competition... it seems JJRbus has found the gem in the Mach1 power saver.. I cannot find anything that beats its performance and low energy need and yet still is on a roof. I did eventually find a used 9201 cub, but the guy wants 1200$??? yeah no thanks.

That's an alternative if A you have a built in generator and B if you don't mind the fuel usage of two engines running.

• 4 months later...
On 4/14/2016 at 3:29 PM, RiggerRob said:

Hey, Red:

I have a 1986 Sunland Express with the aftermarket A/C compressor installed - looks identical to the picture. It was dead - it's a single wire compressor and it wouldn't kick over even with 12 volts present, so I ordered the Volvo kit off of eBay from here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-740-760-780-940-DKS15BH-A-C-COMPRESSOR-NEW-KIT-/121076323776?hash=item1c30b615c0

I still haven't installed it yet (haven't had the time, tools or know-how) although all the components look identical. Let me know if you have any luck with it...

-Rob 

Hey RiggerRob how did the install of this go? Any issues? I have a DKS-15BH and it's toast looking at buying one of these for a replacement. Thanks

Same as in my quote - still haven't done it yet, seems pretty straight forward but I don't have the right stuff to draw down a vacuum or evacuate the lines properly. Also, if you don't properly lubricate the compressor (it comes with the right type of oil) you can easily wreck the compressor. Might do it when I have "extra" cash, heh heh.

Edited by RiggerRob

Instead of 132a refrigerant or because you can't get R-12 any more, go to youtube how to videos. People are charging R-12 units with propane, it cool the same as

R12 but is almost free, I know it sounds dangerous but just watch the vids. You don't use that much and I believe that refrigerant is also explosive.

R-12 is getting cheap on e-bay. Fix the A/C and use the right stuff.

R12 is usually $20 a can or more (12 oz).  134A often $3-4 a can.  No high-priced vacuum pump needed to do an evacuation IF you have an air-compressor.  You can buy a venturi-operated vacuum pump for $20 that works off of compressed air.  Works fine as long as you don't live way above sea-level.  One thing to keep in mind.  Old rubber AC hoses are not made for 134A and it will leak slowly out of them. Its molecular structure is smaller then R12.  When systems changed to 134A, "barrier hoses" became the norm.   Now all rubber AC hoses have a special inner liner to hold 134A in.  Also note that I suspect 134A will soon disappear and become as pricey as R12.  Buy it while it's cheap.

vacuumpump.jpg

12 hours ago, sonny sunrader said:

Instead of 132a refrigerant or because you can't get R-12 any more, go to youtube how to videos. People are charging R-12 units with propane, it cool the same as

R12 but is almost free, I know it sounds dangerous but just watch the vids. You don't use that much and I believe that refrigerant is also explosive.

Very common trick during the switch over to 134 it trashed many reclaim systems not to mention having a small bomb under the hood. Ri34 ing temp is just shy of 1,400* a little hard to light and it does not explode.

Edited by Maineah

I'm not promoting this idea, just saying that I saw it, It's an option if all else fails. "User beware of what could happen"

There is gasoline under the hood also, which is highly explosive.

Edited by sonny sunrader
added content