POLL What is your OEM Rigs Mileage;

Totem

This thread is just for people to post their current mileage on their motors.

I am curious to see how far these 4 and 6 cylinder original factory motors are making it.

I am currently running at 92,000 ish and burning a quart every 1500 miles or so.

If you are on a reman motor feel free to share what it is and how many miles it has under its belt also.

if you had to do major overhaul note the mileage also; mostly interested in how far the stock motor makes it in these before major work needs done.

Edited by Totem

My 1988 Escaper (1987 chassis) is just about broken in with 46,000 miles on it.  Bought it 4 years ago with on 30,000 miles.  I get 13 to 14.5 mpg travelling at 55 mph.  No oil loss between changes.

About 10mpg but I failed emissions horribly for CO and slightly on HC, I found my oxygen sensor to be fouled (it was original, 62k), replaced with a denso unit.  I just need to get it retested, hopefully it passes...

My oxygen sensor is reading normally now though, it was stuck on the lean side with the old one which would cause it to run very rich trying to compensate.

Doesn't really consume any oil as of yet, i've only owned it for ~2500 miles and it hasn't lost any.

Timing belt has been replaced, I pulled the upper cover back and could see it's an aftermarket gates belt, I may change it again though since I'm not sure how old it is, would put a Toyota/Mitsuboshi on it.

Edited by Jaunt

My 1988 Minicruiser with a 22RE supposedly has 140K original miles on it ( I got it from the guy who bought it new).  But . . I had the head off last year and found the wrong pistons in the wrong holes.  THAT makes me think it had been apart before I had it, and after it left the Toyota factory.  Cylinder bores looked perfect when the head was off.  So did the valves but redid them anyway.  Eats 1 quart of oil every  6-8 tanks of gas.   I also had a 1985 bare pickup with a 22R. I got it with 70K and got rid of it with 200K.  At a quart of oil every few tanks of gas the entire time I owned it. Never got worse or better.   I also bought a 2000 Chevy Prizm for my daughter with 70K and it had a Toyota 1.8 that ate a quart of oil every tank of gas. So far the only Toyota four-cylinder I've owned that did not eat oil is my 1978 Chinook with the 20R. Odometer reads 120K but I have no way to verify actual mileage.

the 1ZZ in the Mr2 burns some oil, but not the 3.3 in the Sienna or the 3RZ in the Taco.

i'm pretty sure my Bandit isn't original mileage....I have a hard time seeing how everything under the vehicle could get THAT wasted in a mere 104K.  Remember that swapping out the instrument cluster on these, with odometer, is about a 20 minute job.  The previous owner claimed it had a JAp take-out engine but his credibility has not been stellar on other issues and it don't look that fresh.  haven't run compression or leakdown test yet.

remember that you can extend the longevity of a hard working truck motor.  start with adding a huge remote filter (or 2) and an oil cooler with thermostat (this will also add 1-2 qts oil capacity to the system), use good synth oil and short change intervals

Edited by payaso del mar

My 87 Itasca just went over 63k. Had somewhere in the mid 50k range when we bought it. Engine running good with no appreciable oil consumption between changes.  I change the oil twice a year, early spring and 6 months later.  We don't take long trips and keep within about a 2 1/2 hour range from home. 

There will always be things you can spend money on with an old vehicle but I fall into the, do what I have to, to keep it going.  Last year it was tires, exhaust, batteries and the tailpiece bushing and seal in the transmission.  I've had plenty of old vehicles that used oil and if they ran fine, I just kept plenty of oil with me and checked often.  If I was looking at an engine rebuild on mine, I'd probably scrap it as the work would approximately equal what it is worth.

Ive got 62K..Engine seems in good shape and not noticed any oil burning. I will probably switch over to full synthetic Mobil 1 soon. Is there nobody out there with over 200k on their toyohome?

So no one with big miles on bigger rigs? - it would seem what the machinist from Colorado says is true.. the 22re gets eaten by the extra heat and stress from a 6000 + pound motorhome and is lucky to make 100,000 on the odo.

I know several 4runners, trucks or vehicles outside of the motorhome chassis routinely make 300,000 on an oem motor , but when the motor is put into the torture chamber environment of the motor home is the curiosity ... will it still go that far? he said it definitely would not. was hoping to see Linda chime in here on the average miles on rigs shes seen. Where is she?

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 7:57 PM, payaso del mar said:

Totem, what kind of compression and oil pressure figures are you seeing on your motor currently? 

I am getting a compression meter today; I am also curious. I burn about a quart every 1000-1500 miles regardless of tanks of gas.

I didn't burn any oil at all until about 10k ago at near 80,000 on the odo.

from 40,000 - 80,000 she was AOK.

Edited by Totem

I sold my 84 dolphin a few years ago with 138,000 miles on it. Had the 22r engine, ran beautifully and used 1/3 to 1/2 quart of oil for 3,000 mile oil changes. I still see it running around the neighbor hood. I know it was the original engine and I put 59,000 of those miles on it.

Now I do not believe my 94 warrior will last that long but maybe, it runs very well. Now has 67,000 miles and I put on 31,000 of those miles on it. It does use 1/2 quart of oil between oil changes but that's because of a valve cover oil leak.

IMG_0380.JPG

paulina lake 7-2009 017.JPG

Love towing that boat In the hills I bet. awesome that you got that kind of mileage while also periodically towing. definitely seems to disprove the theory from Colorado guy.

It was not terribly bad especially if you are accustomed to going slow up the hills. Still cruised at 50mph on the flat. Will be hooking up the same boat to the Warrior in a few weeks. We'll see.

was the 84 a stick shift? the guy kept telling me to get mine converted to stick to get the best speed out of a 22r/22re. he said the auto  trannny is junk wastes HP.

YES!!!  he's absolutely right.  especially with the 70s-tech oh-so-magic trans they put in these.  current automatics almooost go up hills and get mpg as good as a manual, but the ones from the 80s didn't.  the rule of thumb back when was that 15-20% of your go-power got lost in the slush.  as a practical matter, most of your highway running will be in top gear anyway unless there are more and bigger hills in MI than I'm visualizing.  the biggest issue for many would be how the significant other felt about using a clutch........

I guess I didn't realize you had an automatic.  this change alone would make a big difference in how your rig goes and will nicely complement any engine work you do.

Edited by payaso del mar

except for I am the guy with a wife that refuses to touch a stick; (unfortunately for me). And she sometimes drives so ; we are stuck with auto. hmmm. maybe there is a better transmission I could substitute?

yeah, that's the deal killer right there on the manual.  i'm fortunate to have a wife who prefers a stick. 

probably is compatible automatic, if it's compatible with the 22RE crankshaft.  might require some fabrication of mounts and some driveshaft shortening.  improvement probably wouldn't be worth the cost/effort, though.  not least, most of the high tech automatics are linked into the ECM or another computer and you'd have to get all the wiring and sensors to make it work right.  would almost be easier to just swap in entire 3.4 drivetrain, complete with all sensors, from wrecked vehicle.

Edited by payaso del mar

1991 Winnie Warrior with slightly over 240 K miles. Believe the engine to be OEM with some work during the head gasket recall by the previous owner. No blue smoke but a moist underside, possibly oil pan gasket. She gets about 15 mpg at 55 mph but it all depends on relative wind, 18 mpg with a tailwind or 12 mpg with a head wind.

My 96 4Runner is over 380K miles now and going strong. My 85 4runner was going strong at 235K when I sold it. I've also previously owned a Corolla and Camry to about 175K on each. Over 30 years, no Toyota that I've owned has ever needed a new engine or transmission.

Not long ago I looked at an 84 Sunrader with the 22R and manual that had over 260K. The fellow wanted $2K but it needs a new interior. He seems shy about selling and I'm not needing a project at this time.

1979 Galavan. 148K now. 97K when purchased.

I am the 3rd owner with all documentation starting with the original owner.

20R engine. L43 4 speed trans. 16mpg around town, 20-22mpg highway. Run Mobil 1 in everything.

As a side note my 86 4Runner (22RE) just hit 263k, original bottom end.  I replaced the cylinder head (cracked) and did the timing chain/waterpump, etc 10k miles ago.

My Warrior had the head gaskets replaced under recall in 99... Engine is still bone dry on the outside, only 3.0 I've ever seen like that *knock on wood*