So I bought this Toyota Odyssey that had been sitting in front of a neighbor's house for 9 years.  Yeah, I knew it would need some serious work.  I pulled the tank, cleaned it, replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter.  Replaced the injectors and plugs and wires.  Replaced the distributor cap and rotor.  Replaced the coil.  And it still runs rough!?  I'm not sure what I should do next.  Any advice?

4 cylinder or 6?

1.  BRAKES!!!!!   brake fluid turns to black sludge as it absorbs water, and the slurry then rusts rustable bits inside the system..  flushing and bleeding brakes to see if any more work is needed (probably will be, i'd budget to rebuild the entire brake system, but you can get all the rubber bits at Rock auto for <$100) is one of the first things I do when resurrecting a dormant vehicle.  ditto for the clutch hydraulics.

2.  fuel should all be drained and burned in something else, a little at a time.  old fuel can cause all kinds of symptoms that will make you think you have other engine issues.

3.  wash and give it a rubbing compound job. this improves that ever important tool for resurrecting dead vehicles, enthusiasm.  it can get pretty discouraging trying to debug all the niggles.  even more so if you have a skeptical Significant Other, or Neighbors. 

something else I thought of last night while helping a friend do similar job on car that had been dormant for a mere 8 mos.  switches.  you can count on many of them seeming wonky or even toasted due to dust n crud buildup and non-use. 

don't order new ones until after you pull em out, bang em on something to loosen the crud, blow em out with compressed air, and if this doesn't get it, carefully squirt some contact cleaner into the internals.....I say "carefully" because some plastics don't stand up to the stuff.  I once dropped my cellphone into a cup of coffee and had the bright idea to flush it out with contact cleaner.....not pretty, it was like watching the last scene of the vampire movie where the sun comes up and the vampires cracks into dust.....the bakelite or whatever the switch casing is made of should be OK but I wouldn't try to spray any of em in place. 

also, the window regulator (crank) assembly will likely be really crusty.  these just require pulling the door panel, blowing out the dust, getting the old grease n crud out of tracks and linkage pivot points, and re-greasing as appropriate.

Edited by payaso del mar

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess I was lucky. I parked my 1979 Datsun 280ZX for 10 years in my barn.  I added Stabil to the gas tank when I first put it in there.  So?  Put a battery in it last Spring and it fired right up without me touching anything.  I sold it to a local guy and heard from him a few months later. He had plates on it and was driving it all over and never did a thing to it. 

About your Toyota - did it supposedly run good 9 years ago when parked or was it already running bad then?  Also, what sort of "rough."  Does it have pronounced skips/mis-fires?  Have you checked fuel pressure to make sure the regulator is working correctly?