Specifications:
Model: Sunpentown IM-150US
Color: Black w/ Stainless Steel Door
Production Rate: 12 lbs. Of Ice Per Day
Ice Cube Size: .75"H x .5"W x 2.5"L
Operating Temp: 30°F ~ 80°F
Electrical: 115V/60Hz ~ 3.7 Amps
Power Consumption: 112 Watts
Unit Dimensions: 25"H x 15"W x 18"D - 54 Lbs.
Sunpentown Stainless Steel Undercounter Ice Maker
Edited by Totem

the supentown is also, available at amazon...

:)

so yes I am aware of them but what I have at home and believed to be one is not. I do like that supentown though only 112 watts as opposed to 160. and 12 lbs ice per day capable... where as i guarantee the igloo wont make that much.

OK, I stand corrected.....apparently they do exist.  I ran a search with "icemaker" as one word which is I guess why I didn't see it.  however, 112 watts/hour = better than 9 amps @12v, or a total of 2.68 KW or 228 amp-hours/day....still a lot of juice compared to the more efficient compressor fridges/freezers.  here are the specs on an AC/DC sportfridge:

The 15-liter, 20-liter, 35-liter, 45-liter and 60-liter models draw between 2.3 and 3.8 amps when the compressor is cycled on. The 100-liter model draws between 4.6 and 7.6-amps. All SportFridge models are so well insulated that the compressor is running only about 10 to 15 minutes per hour on average to maintain internal temperature. Depending on ambient temperature and thermostat setting, the SportFridge refrigerator/ freezer can draw as little as 17 amp hours over a 24-hour period (see chart below).

Chart
Chart2

so on the coldest (everything inside frozen solid) setting in 115 degree weather, the 60 liter uses under 1/4 of the juice of that Supentown icemaker.  while it costs a small fortune (medical grade fridge, normally used tor hauling vaccines and organs for transplant), JD's igloo seems to use even less and costs about the same as that Supentown.  I understand that your idea is to make ice while the sun shines (or the motor is running) and then put it in the cooler for later....just not sure the math works out.

the tricks the mind plays on you....I was SURE you'd suggested that and read back, to find that i'd been the one who tossed out that (somewhat lame now that I think about it) idea.  :rolleyes:   be glad y'all don't have an idiot and a flake sharing your cranium like I do.......

I did the math on that 2688 watts a day to run the thing, and it would require 448 watts of panels @ 6 hours./day to run it.  over and above your fridge.  no problem if you have grid plug-in where you camp, but maybe not feasible for boondocking unless you cover the entire roof in PV panels or run the generator a lot? 

hmmm you must really like to drink. you run it only when you want ice production.

comparing it to a freezer is like banana to orange. they both peel but thats about it.

you could run it for a few hours to get enough ice for the chest then make like a baby and head out.

Edited by Totem

if you'd been the fool who bought this way-tired POS Bandit, you'd drink heavily too....  ;)   (just kidding, I increasingly love it altho I have yet to drive it except home from AZ.  drove to Albuquerque recently in a 40-45mph crosswind/dust storm and watched the bigger RVs and the semis getting tossed around like toys, and thought how much i'll like having an RV that pulls its hat down over its eyes.......)

getting back to the thread, Mustmrk makes some good points.  JD, I don't think his #s are necessarily off if it's an older tech freezer/fridge than yours.  The availability of Danfoss-clone compressors has greatly increased in last 5 years.  my archaic built-in uses a hell of a lot more than that.  his real-world, over a long period, results have me thinking I need to ditch this built-in pretty quick...... 

Edited by payaso del mar

There is a fun video comparing fridge/freezers for off grid living in an RV on youtube. It is a fun channel to subscribe too as they are usually filming down around Quartzite and show people living in all kinds of vehicles, lots of vans but also things like a Prius and other small cars too.

But for chest type fridge/freezer larger capacity at a reasonable cost and power consumption the Whynter brand of units seem to be the favorite unit among these full timers. They usually add extra insulation around the outside since they are in the desert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZzBdj67gb0

On 4/25/2016 at 4:14 PM, payaso del mar said:

OK, I stand corrected.....apparently they do exist.  I ran a search with "icemaker" as one word which is I guess why I didn't see it.  however, 112 watts/hour = better than 9 amps @12v, or a total of 2.68 KW or 228 amp-hours/day....still a lot of juice compared to the more efficient compressor fridges/freezers.  here are the specs on an AC/DC sportfridge:

The 15-liter, 20-liter, 35-liter, 45-liter and 60-liter models draw between 2.3 and 3.8 amps when the compressor is cycled on. The 100-liter model draws between 4.6 and 7.6-amps. All SportFridge models are so well insulated that the compressor is running only about 10 to 15 minutes per hour on average to maintain internal temperature. Depending on ambient temperature and thermostat setting, the SportFridge refrigerator/ freezer can draw as little as 17 amp hours over a 24-hour period (see chart below).

Chart
Chart2

so on the coldest (everything inside frozen solid) setting in 115 degree weather, the 60 liter uses under 1/4 of the juice of that Supentown icemaker.  while it costs a small fortune (medical grade fridge, normally used tor hauling vaccines and organs for transplant), JD's igloo seems to use even less and costs about the same as that Supentown.  I understand that your idea is to make ice while the sun shines (or the motor is running) and then put it in the cooler for later....just not sure the math works out.

My 3.5 cubic foot (99 liter) chest refrigerator (converted Igloo) uses half the energy that the SportsFridge uses.

and costs 1/10 as much.  and probably weighs a lot less.  unquestionably a far better buy.

the only real advantage of the SF is durability....you could kick it, hard, and you'd mostly end up with a sore toe.  try that with the Igloo and I suspect you'd be buying a new one.  not that I plan to kick my fridge, but stuff takes knocks on washboarded dirt roads and crawling goat trails to get to remote campsites.  not an issue for the folks with big enough toyhomes that they're not going to be crawling dirt trails anyway, though.  and although I have no way to test it, I suspect a real Danfoss  compressor lasts longer than a reverse-engineered knockoff. 

let's compare notes again in 2 or 3 years.

I had an el-cheapo Samsung AC refrigerator in my 4WD off-road Chevy Blazer RV.   I used it for years in some very off-road rugged terrain and it never skipped a beat.  I cannot say the same for the Dometic 3-way in my 1988 Toyota Minicruiser that fell apart last year when I drove a few miles on a washboarded road.  I'm lucky it did not catch fire.  The whole chimney-burner assembly fell apart and it is only held together by a dinky lock-ring (that is no longer available from Dometic). 

sounds like a rehash of our Chinese vs Real-Japanese parts discussion.  you say "good enough for foreseeable applications" and you're mostly right.  I say "overkill cuz of where I like to camp, rural Mexico <150 miles from the nearest MallWart and 50 miles from pavement on washboard" and i'm not entirely wrong, but I know I have to spend a lot more. 

I love Samsung stuff....durable as hell.  I had a Samsung flip phone that still worked for many months after my ex drove the Cherokee over it and I duct taped it together in the open position with a popsicle stick splint.....