Toyota RV's motor can't handle weight

Savedslave

I have been looking at RV's on Craigslist the past couple months and still cant decide between a Toyota or a larger Class C RV. I have heard that the weight of Toyota RV's put too much strain on the engine and transmission. Is there much truth to this? I am planning on living in this because I just moved down to SoCal and its way to expensive down here to rent. I will be driving it a few times a week but not planning on going on many trips. I might buy a motorcycle to tow as well  

I would also gladly accept any advice and tips on buying or living in a Toyota RV 

Edited by Savedslave

They are amazingly tough engines and will last 150K before you need to do much too them with a little care. That's no easy task for a little engine hauling around 6000#. Personally I would like some thing a bit bigger to live in but would not be afraid of the Toy Home.

1 hour ago, Savedslave said:

I have been looking at RV's on Craigslist the past couple months and still cant decide between a Toyota or a larger Class C RV. I have heard that the weight of Toyota RV's put too much strain on the engine and transmission. Is there much truth to this? I am planning on living in this because I just moved down to SoCal and its way to expensive down here to rent. I will be driving it a few times a week but not planning on going on many trips. I might buy a motorcycle to tow as well  

I would also gladly accept any advice and tips on buying or living in a Toyota RV 

My 2.4 liter four-cylinder engine in my 1988 Toyota Minicruiser does not work any harder then my 5.2 liter  V8 engine did in my 1973 Dodge Class A. It is just a matter of gearing and how fast you have to drive - along with how many long hills you have to go up.  If you feel the need to cruise at 70 MPH everywhere - including long hills - then yes - you need something with over 400 cubic inches of engine or a turbo-diesel.  Note that NO 20-21 foot Toyota motorhomes are rated for any towing.  Can't say you can't but OEM it was not allowed.  The smaller Toyota Chinooks are rated to tow up to 1000 lbs. as I recall.

Welcome!!    My Toyota with a V6 and automatic transmission with almost 100,000 miles has the original motor and tranny.  When going through classifieds's there are always Toy's with 100,000 plus miles for sale, so I will call that myth busted.

Living in a Toyota, I could not do it unless forced to, too small.  But everyone is different and you may enjoy it, I am spoiled! If I had a big barn that I could pull into and keep my stuff in, then I could do it.

Lots of time reading through the posts on this forum and look at what people are fixing is a good way to find what to look for when searching for a Toy.  They are old and most will need some repair.

Good luck    Jim

mine has 96,000 original miles of which I put on over 42,000 personally. My engine is the 4 cylinder on a 21 foot sunrader; so if theres one that's "overworked" its mine.

It runs fine but is burning oil slightly now. I am overhauling it though but even if I didn't I'm sure it would make it past 100,000. 

Most of the Toys have a MAX weight of between 5800-6000lbs. They have an empty weight of 5000-5800lbs. On the newer Winnebago's you had to chose between a spare tire and microwave. Both would put you over weight.

So yes the Toy will get you there at the speed of smell. They are very rugged, but have limited cargo capacity.   Long term that may be a problem.  There are several folks on this site who full time/extended trips in Toys, maybe one of them will drop in.

the very fact that you asked the Q, the fact that you're thinking about living in it (esp in SoCal), and the fact that you're thinking about towing a motorcycle (are we talking a CRF230 or a Gold Wing?  makes a difference...), suggest to me that you might be happier with something bigger, with more engine, and a little newer.  The age of these things affects not only the reliability and other issues , but also their perceived "respectability"............trying to live in one in SoCal is likely to be exciting at best, as I understand the "volunteer code-enforcement officers" are pretty active and watching for people living in their MHs.

I have put 15,000 miles on my Escaper so far.  This summer I will be crossing every mountain range in the western US at least twice.  Our route takes us over the Rockies 6 times.  I just downshift and let the engine spin.  We will be putting over 7000 miles on in 4 weeks.  I am not worried about the engine or tranny because they are properly maintained.  The tranny has a large cooler on it.  The engine was just tuned up including valve adjustment.  Just let the engine spin up, don't lug that engine no matter what you do.  

I have a 1988 Damon Escaper with a 22Re engine and automatic tranny.  I do not use the overdrive because I have not changed the gearing, yet.

Enjoy your trip, I am going to enjoy mine.

Edited by Bob C