I just got done running tests on a 3.5 cubic foot Igloo chest freeze I readjusted to make it run like a refrigerator.  I am super impressed and am anxious to replace my 3-way Dometic with it.
After running for 30 hours the single battery was still at 70% of a full charge.  On average, the refrigerator uses 1/2 amp per hour @ 12 volts.

Tested with inverter and type 29 DC Walmart battery - no-load voltages

12.9 volts - 12.05PM 

12.65 volts - 2:45 PM

12.59 volts - 10:30 PM 

12.51 volts - 7:30 AM   .13 KWH - 19.32 hours

12.42 PM - 3:30 PM  .17 KWH - 27.24 hours

12:40 volts - 6:30 PM .18 KWH - 30.23 hours

12.36 volts - 10:15 PM   .2 KWH - 34.07 hours

So after 34.07 hours - battery was still at 70% of full charge

comes to .48 amp per hour @ 12 volts

Thanks for posting the info, I was going to ask one of these days.  I have my 2 way Dometic 2410 fridge sitting in the garage and am undecided about replacing it.  It was not cooling good so I turned it upside down overnight and now it is frigid! I do want a bigger fridge.

Reading about this a bit it seems that good airflow around the fridge is mandatory for economical performance. With several manufacturers saying it is not to be built in or for use in a garage.  Not built in makes sense considering how they cool, but not in a garage does not compute.

aaa.PNG

The "garage" warning is because some electronics don't work reliably in severe cold weather and also - with some - the oil is too thick in the compressor to be left outdoors where it might be 20 below 0 F.  If you live somewhere that never gets colder then 20 F - it is a non issue.

that's really impressive.  compare with this $1100, 4.3 cu ft, Novakool super dooper high efficiency model marketed to off grid types: 

As supplied the R4500 uses 480 watt hours / day, but with added insulation, just 240 watt hours a day on a 70 degree day. - See more at: http://www.backwoodssolar.com/novakool-dc-refrigerator-model-4500#sthash.K6yPZE8J.dpuf

if you're using .48 amps (just shy of 6 watts) per hour, that works out to just under 144 watt-hours a day.  and I assume you haven't added any insulation.

No. No added insulation. No mods at all other then turning the screw in the thermostat to raise the temp so it works like a refrigerator instead of a freezer.

I am trying to muddle my way through this and the compressor oil, is not true for all mini fridge's. Seems many of them do not have a compressor but use Peltier cooling which does not have the highest ratings,  worst actually. 

I thought it would be easy to look up mini fridges that use compressors, but it is barely mentioned.   

I am going to try a couple of the consumer magazines at the library. 

Most of the "dorm" refrigerators use compressors.  The compressor units have oil mixed with the Freon. That oil when cold can stall a compressor and burn up the winding's sooner or later.

Peltiers are used in coolers because of their limited amount of cooling they can do. Typically around a 35-40 degree shift

The Peltiers are power hogs and not real efficient at making things cool however you can reverse polarity and make heat! Modern RV 12 volt fridges are pretty good but it still requires battery power to run it I will stick with propane I can store far more energy in a 20# cylinder than any 10 batteries with a lot less weight. I generally use less than 20# all season unless it's cold.

Depends on your usage.  I had a motor home for 10 years with a regular house fridge and it never inconvenienced me. I'm looking at this 2 way fridge and thinking it is way too small.  But I am not going to spend $$$$ for a larger RV fridge. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was trying to find the initial thread you posted on this thing, where you mentioned the model # and where you got it, but no luck.  is this the FRF434?  I will say that after reading the Amazon reviews, i'm buying it locally if I get one.....30+ people reported damage on arrival!  the apparent fragility would be worrisome for "camping" use but for a built-in in a toyhome, should be OK.