Dolphin in the snow.. thing is a tank

mtdave2

We got some snow in Denver, after i dug out i decided to fire up the dolphin and see if would back out to the street in the snow. Thing is a beast! I drove around a bit and tried to get stuck. I finally succeeded but it took burying it almost up to the hood lol. too much fun. 

Man,

You got guts. I would be terrified to drive that thing in that much snow. I tried just playing with my 4wd truck in 2 inches of snow the other day and I tried seeing how long it would take to brake. I gave my self maybe 100' of cushion to play with and I shot past the stop sign by maybe 50' and ended up in a spin out. You Denver guys must be snow driving experts. We suck out here in CA .. LOL looks awesome though ..

I suspect it's the weight, not four wheels that give the good traction.  Four wheels instead of two just means less  pressure on the ground for traction.   I feel sorry for that poor Dolphin if they've been dumping salt on the roads and it's getting driven in it.  Toyota steel turns to rust pretty fast when exposed to road-salt.

We got around the same amount of snow here in northern MI as my son got in Westminster, Colorado.  So much for an early Spring.

20 hours ago, davidtan said:

Man,

You got guts. I would be terrified to drive that thing in that much snow. I tried just playing with my 4wd truck in 2 inches of snow the other day and I tried seeing how long it would take to brake. I gave my self maybe 100' of cushion to play with and I shot past the stop sign by maybe 50' and ended up in a spin out. You Denver guys must be snow driving experts. We suck out here in CA .. LOL looks awesome though ..

nothing to be scared of really, it is back streets at low speeds. not that i am the worlds best driver but when you grow up driving in the snow you do get good at it. I took my drivers test at 15, driving an old rwd station wagon, in a blizzard!  it is really not hard, just a few things you must learn that is all. 

Grew up and learned to drive in Buffalo NY!  The tricky thing to learn about driving in snow and ice is just cause you can get going and clip along at regular speeds does not mean you can stop normally!  So driving is not much of an issue, stopping is the important part..

Back when the 4 wheel drive and AWD were becoming the hot thing on the market was very entertaining.  People would go out and drive like they were King of the road and end up in ditches and rear ending others  4/AWD slides just as good on ice as 2 wheel drive or FWD:rolleyes:

Like a tank?         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THeaXnM6Npg

Now that looks like fun!      Jim

On 3/25/2016 at 8:56 PM, linda s said:

Yeah 4 wheels in the back make for pretty good traction. Stopping is the problem. Snow banks are so useful

Linda S

yup!

19 hours ago, jdemaris said:

I suspect it's the weight, not four wheels that give the good traction.  Four wheels instead of two just means less  pressure on the ground for traction.   I feel sorry for that poor Dolphin if they've been dumping salt on the roads and it's getting driven in it.  Toyota steel turns to rust pretty fast when exposed to road-salt.

We got around the same amount of snow here in northern MI as my son got in Westminster, Colorado.  So much for an early Spring.

I am with you, it is the weight mostly, and good tires. Don't worry about salt, non here in golden. that is really a thing from your area. even Montana doesn't use salt! 

19 hours ago, jdemaris said:

Luckily we don't have many rust issues here in Colorado, contrary to what you would think.  Completely different than the midwest/NE, which I am thankful for.

1 hour ago, Jaunt said:

Luckily we don't have many rust issues here in Colorado, contrary to what you would think.  Completely different than the midwest/NE, which I am thankful for.

I have two sons living in Colorado (Longmont and Westminster). I went over there and bought a 1994 truck there are few years ago and it looks like new. Zero rust anywhere.  If it had been from my area of NY - it would of been scrapped years ago.  Not only does NY use tons of salt in the winter - they salt many roads in the summer too.  Same thing here in northern Michigan.  Saltwater truck comes by every few weeks, all summer long.  You'd think Michigan would learn a lesson after this called water "crisis" in Flint that was likely caused be years of using salt on the roads that polluted the Flint River.

That must be a v6. When I parked my 87 (22re) before a snow storm up here, I came back and had to "rock it" out of the snow drift I was in. It never slipped at all, just didn't have any umph to get going.

7 hours ago, Dunce said:

That must be a v6. When I parked my 87 (22re) before a snow storm up here, I came back and had to "rock it" out of the snow drift I was in. It never slipped at all, just didn't have any umph to get going.

lol! yeah I guess it is really not fair. This dolphin has a lexus v8 in it. 

14 hours ago, mtdave2 said:

lol! yeah I guess it is really not fair. This dolphin has a lexus v8 in it. 

Gotdam., I would kill for something like that. I will say when I was driving back from Denver to Taos in a snow storm, I never had an issue (other than needing a change of underwear) driving all through the mountain passes. Once it got going it stuck to the ground.