AC/Heat Blower in the cab stopped working

candace

1984 Huntsman - Worked perfectly fine yesterday. Today, the blower doesn't work at all. Could this be a fuse? Anyone know the amps and location of the fuse I'd be looking for? I assume it's in the fuse panel on the lower left driver side by my left leg.

I am guessing that it will be the fuse since it worked yesterday.  When I bought my Escaper, the woman said that the fan worked last fall but would not work in the spring.  I checked the fuse (good) and took the fan motor assembly out when I bought it.  It turned out to be a massive mouse house built in the heater assembly.  I cleaned it out and it worked great.  

Here's my blower fan aka mouse house. i checked the two fuses left of the glovebox marked "AC 10" and "Heater 20". They look fine. The relay below the fuses makes a noise when I move the Ac/Heater fan switch. I only hear it click when I move it from on to off, not the other way around. Are there any other fuses or relays I am not seeing?

IMG_1213.JPG

IMG_1215.JPG

You could also see if the A/C compressor is turning on under the hood when you switch the air conditioning on.  This will further confirm your bad blower fuse but ensure the rest of the system is normal.  

Have you tried the blower on  the highest  speed?   Blowers have a resister that fails over time.  The highest speed usually never fails - as the resistor portion craps out, the lower speeds "go away".

On March 20, 2016 at 7:04 AM, DanAatTheCape said:

Have you tried the blower on  the highest  speed?   Blowers have a resister that fails over time.  The highest speed usually never fails - as the resistor portion craps out, the lower speeds "go away".

Blower doesn't work at all. I used a multi meter to check voltage on the relay (i think the relay is the piece with piece above the AC and heater fuses) and got a 12 volt reading. But I had no voltage when I put the needle where the AC and heater fuses are located. Does this mean there's a short in the wiring?

33 minutes ago, candace said:

Blower doesn't work at all. I used a multi meter to check voltage on the relay (i think the relay is the piece with piece above the AC and heater fuses) and got a 12 volt reading. But I had no voltage when I put the needle where the AC and heater fuses are located. Does this mean there's a short in the wiring?

The heater relay powers the AC compressor and the blower motor.  The AC pump work?  Power TO the heater relay also powers the windshield wipers.  Do they work?

A 7 1/2 amp IGN fuse is what powers the heater relay (to turn on or off).  That wire where it connects to the relay is yellow.   The power that the relay sends to the heater blower is protected by a 20 amp fuse and that wire is red.  If you are checking for voltage at the 20 amp heater fuse and get nothing (no positive reading with other lead grounded) - then there is no POS coming from the relay.  Subsequently - you have one of two possible issues.   #1 the relay is not energizing (closing), or #2 it IS closing but there is no power for the feed circuit.   The two wires AT the relay for making it close are  Yellow (POS from the IGN fuse) and Yellow-Red (NEG from the heater blower switch).  The two wires that have the actual power flow to the heater blower are POS from the 20 amp HEATER fuse, and NEG from the blower-switch OR blower-resistor depending on the speed setting.

2 hours ago, jdemaris said:

The heater relay powers the AC compressor and the blower motor.  The AC pump work?  Power TO the heater relay also powers the windshield wipers.  Do they work?

A 7 1/2 amp IGN fuse is what powers the heater relay (to turn on or off).  That wire where it connects to the relay is yellow.   The power that the relay sends to the heater blower is protected by a 20 amp fuse and that wire is red.  If you are checking for voltage at the 20 amp heater fuse and get nothing (no positive reading with other lead grounded) - then there is no POS coming from the relay.  Subsequently - you have one of two possible issues.   #1 the relay is not energizing (closing), or #2 it IS closing but there is no power for the feed circuit.   The two wires AT the relay for making it close are  Yellow (POS from the IGN fuse) and Yellow-Red (NEG from the heater blower switch).  The two wires that have the actual power flow to the heater blower are POS from the 20 amp HEATER fuse, and NEG from the blower-switch OR blower-resistor depending on the speed setting.

AC compressor works as do the wipers. I get positive voltage reading when I put the lead on the relay as pictured but not from the 20 amp heater fuse or 10 amp AC fuse. So replace the relay?

image.jpeg

How can there be no power at the AC fuse if the AC compressor turns?  Makes no sense to me.   The heater-relay supplies power to the AC compressor electric clutch.  You say it works, so seems there has to be power at the AC fuse.  What am I missing here?  

I put the blower back in and it's working. However, on the lowest setting it makes a noise like the sound of a playing card in the spokes a bicycle wheel and I smell burning. On the medium and on the highest setting it works fine. ?