New Member 1988 Toyota Dolphin

oooPIVYooo

Hello all!  I bought a Dolphin about 6 months ago, and have been trolling this site since then looking for advice on how to fix it up.  It's been very helpful.  Hope I can add to the discussion.  So far I have done the following, if anyone wants some tips, let me know:

1. Added a tachometer; 2. Put in a overdrive altitude bypass (just for going downhill); 3. Re-upholstered the interior and added new curtains; 4. Added a bathroom fan; 5. Carpeted the "living room" area; 6. Added an entertainment center; 7. Rigged up an inverter generator to run either inside or outside generator box; 8. Fixed sagging roof with a method used by one of the members on here; 9. Put in new dometic AC unit and rigged up a hard start capacitor so that it can run off the generator; 10. Reinforced the bumper to haul my moped; 11. Shelved the closet; 12 Replaced the toilet with a foot-flush model; 13. Added a little wall between the bed and kitchen; 14. Completely rebuilt the fridge (new heating unit and thermostat) and wired in an interior circulation fan and exterior fan for the heating unit; 15. Replaced all the hinges and pulls for the cabinets; 16. Rigged in an AC/DC inverter to fuse box when operating off grid; 17. Replaced the upper bunk with a bed and memory foam mattress.

So far I'm enjoying this little RV.  I'm thinking of ways to add a secondary fuel tank in the future so that I don't have to fill-up so much.

The last picture is of what the interior looked like when I first bought it. 

20160206_071531.thumb.jpeg.d1b181ed263b6

20160206_071703.thumb.jpeg.3caa6f420ee7020160313_191141.thumb.jpeg.e8ab295dad42120160313_191200.thumb.jpeg.a69e42c6b88c220160313_191149.thumb.jpeg.b344d4e40bc1920160313_191316.thumb.jpeg.ccb657b409c9620160313_191325.thumb.jpeg.bff31a0a8a9ff20160313_191358.thumb.jpeg.563289962952d20160313_191335.thumb.jpeg.1befc45d4f07c20160313_191405.thumb.jpeg.efb347c28fac620160129_191938.thumb.jpeg.c8c99039a2f0820151108_104333.thumb.jpeg.ec4660c37302020151022_193547.thumb.jpeg.c9e157b41205d20160313_193436.thumb.jpeg.d8ce3c650026020160313_193550.thumb.jpeg.a2b60ad668fce20160313_193625.thumb.jpeg.fafd0d7144e3e20151002_173038.thumb.jpeg.7b35cdb328677

20151022_193547.jpeg

Looks good!...I have the same fan in mine. You may want to install a fan speed control to be able to slow it down cause it moves a LOT of air. I put one of these in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-6-90V-15A-DC-Motor-Speed-Controller-Pulse-Width-PWM-Speed-Regulator-Switch-/401047272148?hash=item5d6047bad4:g:jtMAAOSwJcZWgIwz

3 hours ago, RVdaytrader said:

Looks good!...I have the same fan in mine. You may want to install a fan speed control to be able to slow it down cause it moves a LOT of air. I put one of these in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-6-90V-15A-DC-Motor-Speed-Controller-Pulse-Width-PWM-Speed-Regulator-Switch-/401047272148?hash=item5d6047bad4:g:jtMAAOSwJcZWgIwz

Good idea!  I was thinking it moved too much air as well, and at one point I stuck something similar to that in there, but it burned out.

2 hours ago, RVdaytrader said:

What size and what brand bike is that on back??...and what does it weigh??...I am looking to get a light motorbike for mine.

It's a Tomos moped.  It weighs about 120 lbs. 

13,500.  I had a killawatt monitor hooked up to it for testing, and after the hard-start capacitor was hooked up I believe it was peaking at something like 1400-1600 watts at startup.  Running used significantly less watts.  Not sure if the generator would work on the old original AC unit though.

Did the RV come with the built in dog or did you have to add that yourself?

Nice job.  I am also a Ryobi fan. That being said - if I was to buy a new inverter generator - it would likely be a Hyundai that can make 2000 watts continuous - unlike a Honda 2000 that only makes 1600 watts.

If you can find a way to mount your spare tire on the rear - the former spare location underneath is an ideal location for a 2nd fuel tank.   I assume you have electronic fuel injection so teeing in a new tank would been having a 2nd fuel pump in that tanks - or -     Another way is to use the 2nd tank to refill your 1st primary tank.  A MUCH simpler setup.

Nice job, too much work for 6 months though.  Vehicle does appear to be in nice condition. 

I am also a Ryobi fan, I do not have one of their generators yet. 

My little Honda 2000 would not start my Duo therm 11K BTU AC. I added a hard start capacitor and it will start and run it in cool weather, it will not start it in hot humid weather.  Also I am almost at sea level.

I don't know if it would work for you, my 94 Sea Breeze has the spare mounted on the back wall. It is simply 3 bolts through the wall.      Jim

21 hours ago, oooPIVYooo said:

Good idea!  I was thinking it moved too much air as well, and at one point I stuck something similar to that in there, but it burned out.

Heads up with PWM controllers some can make horrible noises in your FM radios. I have one on my solar panel that makes my FM sound like a motor boat I fixed it with satellite radio had similar issues with PWN power supplies in LED lighting pulled all the supplies out and built a 10 volt voltage regulator for the lights.

Pulse-width-modulation knocks out AM radio to.  All depends on the device.  My Panasonic Inverter microwave uses PWM and destroys AM.  Same with any of my inverters that I believe use some sort of PWM tech for part of the "inversion." 

PWM frequencies  are all over the place their frequencies are generally right in the 455 kc IF frequency of AM radios. The ones I have tested came in at 460 kc they cause mixing and desensing  in the FM bands they are broad banded and in many cases no attempt to suppress RF noise is made. The LED lights I have with PWM supplies completely wiped out my FM reception on any thing other than a strong station I removed all of the PWM regulators and replaced them with 10 volt home built regulators. The one on my solar panel sounds like an out board engine when the radio is on but I generally only listen to the the radio when it's dark any way.

• 2 months later...
On March 14, 2016 at 1:50 PM, jdemaris said:

Nice job.  I am also a Ryobi fan. That being said - if I was to buy a new inverter generator - it would likely be a Hyundai that can make 2000 watts continuous - unlike a Honda 2000 that only makes 1600 watts.

If you can find a way to mount your spare tire on the rear - the former spare location underneath is an ideal location for a 2nd fuel tank.   I assume you have electronic fuel injection so teeing in a new tank would been having a 2nd fuel pump in that tanks - or -     Another way is to use the 2nd tank to refill your 1st primary tank.  A MUCH simpler setup.

Did you put a secondary fuel tank in? If so, what kind? I am off to Alaska and concerned about distances between fuel stations. The options are gas cans in rear or secondary fuel tank. 

Hi, Super awesome job. I have a Honda 2000 and am thinking i will copy your system instead of pulling it out every time i use it. quick question. Do you run it with the cover down or do you have to pull it out. Did you buy that slide out bracket?

Also, let me know what you design for the tank. I am planning a second tank too right behind the storage box , but have not figured out how the fuel would move between the tanks...

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2016 at 3:12 PM, davidtan said:

Hi, Super awesome job. I have a Honda 2000 and am thinking i will copy your system instead of pulling it out every time i use it. quick question. Do you run it with the cover down or do you have to pull it out. Did you buy that slide out bracket?

Also, let me know what you design for the tank. I am planning a second tank too right behind the storage box , but have not figured out how the fuel would move between the tanks...

I run it with the cover down when it's not too loaded down. When it's at a high idle I open up the side and roll it out. The tray was just something I welded together with a little $80 flux welder.

Looks great,  can you tell me where I can find the info on fixing a sagging roof? I'm just beginning a complete remodel myself and you've given me inspiration.

Hey JD. How about some details on how you integrated the secondary fuel tank into the system. We just had a leaky, poorly conceived and executed secondary tank removed from our Dolphin. We may want to add on back in later.

The dual-tank setup is in my 1978 Chinook with a carburetor .  It has an in-tank electric fuel pump OEM.  To avoid the complications of having a 2nd electric fuel-pump for the aux to switch over electrically at the same time as the actual fuel-line routing - I used the "fill one tank with the other" setup. Crude but good enough for what I wanted. I have a small electric fuel pump with a switch on the dash.  Fuel line from the 2nd tank is plumbed into the filler neck of the original tank.  When the original tank is near empty, I just flip the switch on and it transfers fuel into it. I have a fuel level gauge on my dash for the 2nd tank and can tell well enough what is going on.  In theory, there is the chance of flipping the switch on when the original tank still has a lot of fuel in it -and over-filling it. Never happened yet - but I DO have a good working OEM fuel level gauge for the original and a good aftermarket gauge for the 2nd tank.    If I was to put a 2nd tank on my 1988 Toyota, I'd likely do it the same way.  1988 is even more complicated since it uses a higher-pressure electronic fuel injection system.  If the "transfer" method was not used - you'd need a latch-relay operated fuel diversion valve, along with an EFI compatible electric fuel pump on the 2nd tank. It could be done - but I choose to keep things simpler.

• 11 months later...

Hey, new owner of a 1992 Dolphin. I love what you've done with yours, it looks great!

I recently rebuilt my 2.8 KW Onan that came with the Dolphin. It's running great right now but isn't able to start the Roof A/C unit (11000 BTU duo-therm Briskair). I was looking for hard start capacitors for the model but I can't find one with the model number. 

Any ideas on which model will work for this unit? I can't imagine the Onan would have any trouble running the A/C, but it was pulling an initial ~30 A on startup and shutting the generator off immediately. Even before it had a chance to trip the 20 A breaker for the A/C.

Duotherm I have is:

model: 57912.303

product #: 991731311

Thanks for the assistance! 

It sounds like the problem is in the genset. Onan should be able to start the A/C especially if its the only appliance drawing power.

Try starting the A/C in fan only. Once the generator stabilizes then turn on the compressor.

How does the A/C operate when on shore power?

Edited by fred heath

Hi gg & Welcome! I have the Dometic Duo-therm Pelican 11k AC unit. I use a Honda 2000i to run my roof AC while driving as my cab AC is toast. My Honda is mounted on my rear platform.  I also added a Dometic brand hard start capacitor. More expensive than the cheap Supco unit. Don't know if that makes a difference but it runs my roof AC flawlessly in 90 degree humid weather here in Ohio. I'm around sea level. The Onan should run your air fine. The Honda only puts out 1600 watts continuous. I agree with Fred about your current gen set. The Onan puts out much more watts than the Honda.