86 sunrader ceiling renovation questions.....

red-ryder

i will confess at the outset---i have NOT used the search function, for the following questions, it would take too long, i am easily distracted.....

my recently purchased 1986 toyota sunrader 21 foot.... -(my sunrader was assembled by monterey leisure/ elkhart indiana.)-

my ceiling is in need of serious attention, renovation or replacement .the lauan finished surface has separated from the corrugated cellulose material that was bonded to the fiberglass roof structure. is this material available?

not wanting to attempt re-inventing the wheel, has anyone overcome this challenge?

ALSO.....from my research some sunraders have fiberglas overhead cabinets. mine has 'stick-built' cabinets common to most RV's. are the fiberglas units common to sunraders assembled by gardner-pacific?  which leads me to ask were the fiberglas bathroom modules common to G-P products?, my bath, also needs renovation/replacement, is there a source for a fiberglas bath module, either new or used/re-purpose?

your comments would be appreciated....

thanx RED

Edited by red-ryder
clarity

I replaced the ceiling panels in my Itasca with panels I fabricated using 1/8" luan and textured wall covering I got at Lowes.  First attempt was to use the soak and apply method usually used with wall covering but the luan had adhesion problems going that route.  It works better with latex carpet adhesive as it is designed more for wood surfaces.  If I had to do it again I would special order unpasted textured white wallpaper instead.  What I used was prepasted and was sort of like a thin foam sheet material with a pebble surface.  It looks nice enough but the prepasted stuff in this application was tougher to deal with than I hoped.

I found out in a round about way that "luan" is made from assorted woods, some of which can be oily!   Which is what causes adhesion problems. Now when I use any plywood for anything I always use a coat of shellac based primer such as Bin or Kilz! 

They sell something called Tecply, likely at flooring stores that is oil free.  Too much effort for me to find it and likely expensive?  

When doing wallpaper, Romans 935 primer is the key to sucess!      Over the shellac based primer on plywood.      HTH  Jim

The wood name Lauan is a loose term that applies to a number of wood species coming from southeast Asia. Another common name for this wood is Meranti: while the name Lauan is commonly used when referring to plywood made of this type of wood.

The bathroom modules in the RVs were not made by the companies who made the Sunraders. They were a stock item that they purchased from companies that specialized in RV bath fittings. A lot of times those bath fitting, molding, companies were also located in Indiana. If you take measurements and go online you very likely can find replacement fittings that will work for you. Just do some keyword searches such as RV bathtub or RV shower pan to find those companies selling those molded parts. I don't have the link but I remember a couple of years ago being very surprised when I realized I could still  purchased the identical shower pan with toilet riser that was used in my 1980 Sunrader.

red-ryder sez thanx for your responses.....

in my on-going research i found this great website, detailing a build-up...................DEEPREDMOTORHOME.COM.           the links at the bottom of the page i found to helpful, maybe other members of toyotamotorhome.org will gain knowledge of this fellers efforts.

thanx----again----RED

On 3/14/2016 at 6:49 AM, red-ryder said:

red-ryder sez thanx for your responses.....

in my on-going research i found this great website, detailing a build-up...................DEEPREDMOTORHOME.COM.           the links at the bottom of the page i found to helpful, maybe other members of toyotamotorhome.org will gain knowledge of this fellers efforts.

thanx----again----RED

Well some of what that person is doing indicates he does not understand how reflectix insulation works. For instance he installed it using contact cement. When you put an adhesive onto the surface of a reflective material you have destroyed its ability to reflect the heat because it is then no longer reflective. This is very typical of the DIY crowd who do things because they see other people doing them instead of actually doing research and learning how and why a material works and what the proper way to install it is.

I have an advantage over many DIY people in that I learned early on with some of these things as I was an aircraft mechanic who also did interiors of all kinds of components including putting in reflective faced insulation blankets. They were never put in with glue. Instead a plastic pin that had a wide base on it was glued to the skin, then the blanket was placed onto the surface with the pin protruding through the blanket and then a plastic washer was put onto the pin to  secure the insulation. Therefore there was no interference with the reflective surface's ability to reflect heat and if the insulation ever needed replacing it could be done in a matter of minutes.

Edited by snail powered