LPG or electric Water Heater?

Hello all, 

Thanks for the info re new water heater.  Should I get a combo Electric/LPG or just LPG?   One user suggested that his pilot light kept the water heater warm for a long time.  I don't plan on staying in many trailer parks but might.  The difference in price is around $100.  Does it use that much?  

They do make 120 volt kits for most 6 gallon water heaters as an add on here is one of many http://www.amazon.com/Camco-11673-Water-Hybrid-Heat/dp/B0024ECCJW. Yes the pilot light will keep the water hot over night I light mine have a shower then the next morning it is as hot if not hotter with just the pilot light.

2 hours ago, Maineah said:

They do make 120 volt kits for most 6 gallon water heaters as an add on here is one of many http://www.amazon.com/Camco-11673-Water-Hybrid-Heat/dp/B0024ECCJW. Yes the pilot light will keep the water hot over night I light mine have a shower then the next morning it is as hot if not hotter with just the pilot light.

Do you have LPG only or combo?

for myself I would not pay 100 more propane only works fine for me . but that is me .I can make 2 week long trips and some more days with out running out .LPG onlyLPG only

Edited by 5Toyota
to add text

The newer heaters don't use a pilot light but have DSI.

OK, learned something new today.

In that case the pilot light will give you some warm water in the morning.

I stayed lots of places where there was electric so I went for a lp/electric water heater. Plus I got it out of a wrecked RV for cheap!   I would guess over a 10 year period I saved $100 in LP, that was living full time in the unit. Worth an extra $100,,, unlikely?      Jim

On 3/5/2016 at 10:21 PM, gringostar said:

Do you have LPG only or combo?

Nope just gas. I don't use 20# in an entire season with a lot of off grid that even includes using the gas fridge and some heat in the middle of winter in Maine I don't camp in the snow but do often work inside the RV in the winter.

Edited by Maineah

same here just gas . and my son bought a bran new 17 foot jayco pull trailer and came with a pilot light type water heater.

• 2 months later...

I have the older pilot light version. yes the pilot light keeps the water hot.   I do not have the newer DSI ignition so I have to use the BBQ lighter to light the pilot light.  

I also do not have any electrical items (circuit boards etc) that can go bad.    Also no electrical draw on the house battery.

Having the ability to generate heat with 120AC could be nice.