Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello all, 

I just bought a 1986 Mini-Cruiser and the water heater is shot.  It leaks like a sieve and is rotted out.  I found several on Ebay and price looks right.  Qustion is, will they fit and are they the right size?  What's the best one and or should I buy from a reputable dealer and spend the extra money?  On ebay they are $234 with free shipping.    Here is the link.  Pic is below.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suburban-SW6P-6-Gallon-LP-Gas-RV-Hot-Water-Heater-Pilot-Light-Motorhome-Camper-/141914357539?hash=item210ac13f23:g:Zt0AAOSwG-1W0LpA&vxp=mtr

Thanks!

IMG_20160304_105354854_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160304_110119104.jpg

water heater.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Guys.  I want to get the suburban but will it work for my rig?   As you can see in the pictures, my water heater connects with 12 phillips screws from the outside.  The Suburban model doesn't have any of that mounting???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the installation file

http://www.dyersonline.com/downloadfile/download/aitfile/aitfile_id/1979/

If you want to retro fit it so the installation looks the same you need one of these

http://www.dyersonline.com/suburban-radius-corner-door-install-kit-for-v-model-to-sw6-water-heater.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&gclid=CICA67aTqMsCFYZefgodpf0PBg

or you can buy a flush mount door kit

http://www.dyersonline.com/suburban-polar-white-sw-series-flush-mount-4-6-gallon-door.html

Things change. You just need to adjust for it but it will work. I would retrofit. Might find the parts cheaper on ebay too

Linda S

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, linda s said:

Here's the installation file

http://www.dyersonline.com/downloadfile/download/aitfile/aitfile_id/1979/

If you want to retro fit it so the installation looks the same you need one of these

http://www.dyersonline.com/suburban-radius-corner-door-install-kit-for-v-model-to-sw6-water-heater.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&gclid=CICA67aTqMsCFYZefgodpf0PBg

or you can buy a flush mount door kit

http://www.dyersonline.com/suburban-polar-white-sw-series-flush-mount-4-6-gallon-door.html

Things change. You just need to adjust for it but it will work. I would retrofit. Might find the parts cheaper on ebay too

Linda S

 

If I buy the retro fit kit do I have to buy the door too?  My door fixes to the flange and its' from a different company.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Says in the retro fit description it's for people who want to use their original door. It is the same company just many years apart and new name. I had to buy a new door at one point and the Suburban door fit with some minor adjustments. Lots of big RV places in southern Cal. Maybe you should go look at some parts and get an idea of how they go together first.

Linda S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We put a Suburban water heater in our Dolphin and it's been working just fine. If you are up for the wiring project I highly recommend you get the kind with the electronic ignition and the remote switch for inside the cab. It's such a pleasure to be able to just flip a switch inside and the water heater lights itself. Likewise, once the water is hot you can turn it off without going outside. Plus, no pilot light using up your propane when the water heater isn't actually heating water. We find that once the water is hot it will stay that way for a good part of the day in case you need a little hot water for washing hands or whatever. Then we turn it back on after dinner to bring the water up to full heat again for washing dishes.

Also, be prepared in cooler weather for the water heater to overflow a bit out the overflow valve when you are heating up the water from a cold start. Expansion causes it to do this. It's normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it is all about measurements - of the "hole" where you want it to go.

 

I might be inclined to search places like PPL Motorhomes and Dyer as well as local dealers - places where you have might good options to return a misfit.  If you buy it on ebay I would message the store and make sure the return policy very clear.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the auto start model I purchased on eBay. Been sitting on my shelf all winter, now that weather is good I'll be installing! I too will need a retro fit door. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found a nice big crack in my tank. Need to replace it, anyone know the model number for the Atwood with electric switch? In a 1990 Sea Breeze. I hear patching won't work... for long anyways:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Atwood is the only company that I know of that supplies replacement tanks. Take yours out first and compare

http://www.adventurerv.net/atwood-replacement-inner-tank-91641-p-27665.html?gclid=CNSx5O7R9M8CFUtNfgodbioMTQ&utm_campaign=partsfeed_ppc&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Froogle

Saves you about 100 bucks if it will work. Maybe more on EBay

Linda S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2016 at 5:56 PM, linda s said:

Atwood is the only company that I know of that supplies replacement tanks. Take yours out first and compare

http://www.adventurerv.net/atwood-replacement-inner-tank-91641-p-27665.html?gclid=CNSx5O7R9M8CFUtNfgodbioMTQ&utm_campaign=partsfeed_ppc&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Froogle

Saves you about 100 bucks if it will work. Maybe more on EBay

Linda S

Thanks Linda! Better deal than the one I was looking at. Rv shop quoted me at 800$! What robbery, heard it's about a few hour job probably one for them. For now I am bypassing the tank with a plastic nipple and two 90's so we can have water still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the pilot light on my heater when I get up in the morning the water is just as hot if not hotter with just the little flame from the pilot no waiting for hot water. You can replace just the tank but your will need a tool or make one to drive on the ring that holds the tank to the backing plate. The price difference really is not that great between a tank and the unit, check before buying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2016 at 3:59 PM, Maineah said:

I like the pilot light on my heater when I get up in the morning the water is just as hot if not hotter with just the little flame from the pilot no waiting for hot water. You can replace just the tank but your will need a tool or make one to drive on the ring that holds the tank to the backing plate. The price difference really is not that great between a tank and the unit, check before buying.

Good advice! Looking at new models (found my model number inside the outer door). Found one for $318 on ebay, going for $425 plus on some sites! Would love to do a tankless conversion but just cant justify the price. Some cheaper models out there that say they are for RV's/ boats (around $200), but not sure how to go about doing the conversion. Anyone know of someone doing a cheaper model tankless swap in a toyota rv?

Probably going to play it safe and buy the replacement. Fairly easy to swap I'm assuming? Experience with that anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DirtyPatches said:

Good advice! Looking at new models (found my model number inside the outer door). Found one for $318 on ebay, going for $425 plus on some sites! Would love to do a tankless conversion but just cant justify the price. Some cheaper models out there that say they are for RV's/ boats (around $200), but not sure how to go about doing the conversion. Anyone know of someone doing a cheaper model tankless swap in a toyota rv?

Probably going to play it safe and buy the replacement. Fairly easy to swap I'm assuming? Experience with that anyone?

My thoughts on tank less heaters, very expensive, needs a vent, needs re-plumbing, new propane lines, and what's the sense of endless hot water when the fresh tank only holds so much water?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cheap ones I've seen people talking about installing are sold as 'portable' and are meant for outdoor use. The last one I bothered to look at the specs called for 36" overhead clearance, yet I saw people talking about installing them inside their cabinet in the place their old water heater was! All I can say is "Good Luck!". :) 

" This unit requires a 2 in. clearance from a wall, 1 ft. side to side from anything flammable, 3 ft. from a window as well from an overhang and 18 in. from the ground. "

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eccotemp-1-5-GPM-Portable-Gas-Tankless-Water-Heater-L5/205574393?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-VF-PLA-D26P-WaterHeaters|&gclid=CjwKEAiAmJvBBRDKpP724LigwngSJAAYRJXBXIAga2AxLZ0u-zRMEnxgxELhW4pTBv5oHmP8wgvTORoCKMDw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or this FB 'genius' (who obviously doesn't read instructions):-

14993405_1424662657558158_20550049862313

" For OUTDOOR use only. Do NOT
use in a building, garage or any
other enclosed area."

 

"Do not operate appliance under
ANY overhead construction.
Keep a minimum clearance of 3
feet (1 m) from the sides, front
and back of appliance to ANY
construction. "

http://www.campchef.com/media/manuals/HWD5_Manual.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This type of electric heater is used extensively in Asia.  Not recommending it, showing an option.    Jim

Toyaaaaa.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jjrbus said:

This type of electric heater is used extensively in Asia.  Not recommending it, showing an option.    Jim

Toyaaaaa.PNG

Most likely 240 volt. Even if it was 120 the wiring in a Toy home would not be sufficient. Europe and Asia have had tank-less heaters for decades the ones that work the best are propane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maineah said:

Most likely 240 volt. Even if it was 120 the wiring in a Toy home would not be sufficient. Europe and Asia have had tank-less heaters for decades the ones that work the best are propane.

110 volt!  Requires #10 wire and 30 amp breaker.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Derek up North said:

I think North America is the only place 'decadent' enough to keep 40-60 gallon containers of hot water ready at all times. :)

And I might add hot enough to cook with.   Some areas require scald proof fixtures so people who are common sense challenged don't cook themselves in the shower.  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jjrbus said:

110 volt!  Requires #10 wire and 30 amp breaker.   

Yes and you had better not turn any thing else on when it's running! Your campground neighbors won't like you when you trip the main.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the advice everyone! Good point about the tankless, very true probably only take a 10 minute shower to fill the grey. Way too much work as little as we need hot water. Went with a brand new replacement for $318 on eBay. 6 gallon with electric start. 

Can't wait to rip out the old one!

 

IMG_20161121_133439273.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case anyone wants to see what a tankless setup looks like, the previous owner of my RV added this.  

IMG_3445small.thumb.jpg.b7e133f0e82215e8357a4122b0c0ab5c.jpg

IMG_3446.thumb.jpg.e467ac42a3b70275e320221903e3a898.jpg

 

When I was told it was "professionally installed" I couldn't help but LOL.  It is brand new and works if you only want to rinse off your lower body, but it's getting ripped back out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×