Help. Where can I get curtain rods for top bunk?

Hello all,

I'm brand new here.  This weekend I'm going to add curtains to the top bunk of my 1986 Mini-Cruuser.  Where can I get the rods and the hardware to go with?   I assume I'll want rods both top and bottom for each window?  I have the material already.  I can't stand any light when I sleep up there.  What did you do?   Pics?  thank you. 

I went to Menard's and bought mine.  They are standard household rods and holders.  I did put in a top and bottom rod.  I later got rid of the rods and curtains and cut some corrigated plastic panels that fit into the window frames.  We have not removed the panels in over 3 years.  I sleep next to the front window and did not like the curtains & rods.  I kept rolling over and getting poked by the rods and hangers.

Welcome to the insanity.  

I cannot fathom why that window is there?? Other than a great way to add solar heat to the unit it has no practical purpose.  I have been bouncing this around for a bit and have no desire to add a curtain  but plan on something solid, light blocking and well attached.  Not sure what yet.  The outside is even an option.    Jim

one trip laying up there while the wife is driving through the mountain's, a big city, huge bridge or other scenic area and you can see why the windows are fun; mostly for the kids though.

4 hours ago, Derek up North said:

That is nice but I don't have a ceiling vent so I'll need to allow the side windows to open. 

11 hours ago, Bob C said:

I went to Menard's and bought mine.  They are standard household rods and holders.  I did put in a top and bottom rod.  I later got rid of the rods and curtains and cut some corrigated plastic panels that fit into the window frames.  We have not removed the panels in over 3 years.  I sleep next to the front window and did not like the curtains & rods.  I kept rolling over and getting poked by the rods and hangers.

What's Menard's?  We don't have Menard's on the West Coast.  We have HD, Lowes, and Ace. 

12 hours ago, Bob C said:

Pardon me.  We do have Menard's

I like Andy's foam panel closures but it's good to get some light in the daytime. Why don't you make the panels exactly the same size as the window frame and attach some magnets around the edge like these. Easy sew on

http://www.walmart.com/ip/21989713?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227016077974&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40942509512&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78880507472&veh=sem

Then at night just pop them in place and they will stick to the metal window frame. Much easier than screwing curtain rods into the walls.

Linda S

8 hours ago, snail powered said:

I often look out the front over-cab windows when I am sitting in the back (while parked).

They really expand the space inside making it feel more bright and larger.

Hmmm I did not think of that.   My Sea Breeze has a large window on each side of the living area, wonder if that will be enough?   Another thing to think about.   Jim

I am looking into doing the foam board with material and have some questions which I am not finding answers to on the internet. The commonly available foam boards in pink have a thin plastic film on them, the shiny ones have what looks like aluminum foil, but may be a plastic film?

I do not think that hot melt glue would be a good adhesive for either material?  I found a burlap material which would look good in my Toy, but no idea which adhesive to use?

Any thoughts on adhesives for this project?    Thanks Jim

There is a special spray adhesive for foam. I've used it to attach foam to the ceiling of a trailer. Got mine from Menards

I have a couple different cans of spray adhesive, one I am sure is for foam. But the surface of the foam sheets that are widely available are not foam faced they have a film on them.  I am almost positive that hot melt glue would not stick to them long term?

Dusty?  Hmmm another downside, I was going to go to a fabric store I suspect it is also porous so that what is behind it would show??

Thanks for the responses.     Jim

My (late) 2 cents here.... I did a considerable amount of film-surfaced foam to upholstery gluing in my restoration and tried the foam caulking-gun adhesives and hot-melt glue. Neither worked worth a darn for me. IF the foam has a plastic film, there is a spray-on product I was told about made by 3M called High Strength 90 Contact Adhesive. It's heat and moisture resistant and quite strong when done right. Comes in an aerosol can with an adjustable High, Medium and Low spray head. It isn't cheap @ $13.00 a can at Home Depot, but after going through a can of this stuff,  I tried the same work with a cheaper product of theirs called Super 77, (saved a whole $2 a can, I think) and found out just like the upholstery guy said: "use the good stuff, the other stuff will fail in the heat". I keep learning, for process-intensive work, buy the best and only cry once. One disclaimer here however, this stuff is solvent-based and If you try to use the stuff on a foam without a film on it, it'll likely melt the foam.

Anyway,..it worked for me and it's been over a year now and still looks good. Whatever you go with, good luck.

BR,

TG

Edited by ToyoGuy

On 3/3/2016 at 8:42 PM, linda s said:

I like Andy's foam panel closures but it's good to get some light in the daytime. Why don't you make the panels exactly the same size as the window frame and attach some magnets around the edge like these. Easy sew on

http://www.walmart.com/ip/21989713?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227016077974&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40942509512&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78880507472&veh=sem

Then at night just pop them in place and they will stick to the metal window frame. Much easier than screwing curtain rods into the walls.

Linda S

How many magnets come in each set?  2 or 4?