Hello All,

I'm brand new.  Just bought a 1986 Mini-Camper yesterday.  The darn thing does not have a spare tire rack.  The previous owner just put the spare tire on a 3' by 5' flat cargo rack that hooks up to the bumper hitch.  But I don't want to drive around all day with a huge flat cargo  rack protruding from my rear bumper.  I'd like a proper spare tire rack.  What are my choices?  What do yours look like?

Thank you!!

IMG_20160225_073902177.jpg

IMG_20160225_073852953.jpg

not sure on that model but on my 21 foot sunrader it has a crank chain that raises the spare underneath the back off the camper.

I have seen people in Dolphins on this site make ones that bolt through the bathroom wall hanging it on the rear of the rig and some opted to mount one on the front bumper.

Still others just ratchet it down on the roof.

Toyota trucks came with an undermount carrier that winches down with the extension on your spare tire tool kit. Looks kind of like this

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/drm/924-502/image/3/

This place isn't far from you. They have hundreds of Toyota trucks on the lot. I'm sure they will have one

http://www.calminitruck.com/

Linda S

And/or the spare sits there for 5 years and then when you really need it - that little chain winch is rusted stuck and will not budge. I've had several get stuck like that on Toyota trucks and also on my Dodge GrandCaravan.  Even worse on Chevy Astrovans.  They use a cable instead of chain. On many - the cable rusts, breaks, and the spare falls out somewhere.  I know of several that did not even know the spare was missing until they needed it.   I'd never use that spot on my Toyota.  No room anyway on my Minicruiser.  My Chinook DID originally use that spot and I had to cut off the winch-chain with a torch it was so stuck.

I had a major blowout a few months ago after hitting metal in the road. 2 tires destroyed and I ended up driving home with one tire in the back and used the spare on the front. I don't believe the spare had ever been down. It was original tire. Yes I drove home on a 30 year old tire but I made it and the spare came down with no problem at all. I am in California so rust isn't such a big issue but I have been on the beach more than I should have so there is some rust down there.

Linda S

I've scrapped three Toytota Chinooks in the past few years.  All from New York; two 1978s and one 1977.  None had a spare-tire winch that would turn.  Same for the 1987 Toyota box truck I scrapped.   I'm sure if they'd come from the southwest - they'd still work.  I assume many don't drive their RVs in the winter.  My 1988 Minicruiser has been in northern Michigan since it was new and has no rust.  Never driven in the winter I assume, so the main hazzard it the many dirt roads around here that get salted all summer long.

Nice thing about the Toyota tire winch is it uses a real chain and not a braided cable (like Astrovans and GrandCaravans use).

This is my rear setup.

You could maybe weld a vertical upright to your rear bumper and attach the spare tire to it.

001.JPG