83 Sunrader First Time Furnace Use and Issue Identification

Hey! I am traying to start up my furnace in my 1983 Sunrader for the first time ( My first time its the original suburban furnace )

Ive checked all my propane lines for leaks and have two full propane tanks.

What I have done to try to start the furnace is obviously open propane tank, put the thermostat up to a higher temperature and flipped the little off switch to on position.

What happens is i get a hum from the furnace... thats it. I do not feel any blowing air, hot or cold coming through the vents.

Is there a problem or am I not using it right? Does the furnace need to be manually lit? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

If it is a forced-air furnace with electronic ignition - the blower needs to turn on before it can light. If all you hear is humm - its sounds like your blower-motor is stuck. Post the model # of your furnace. I'm wondering if it is an NT12.  If it is not electronic and uses a quartz Piezo lighter - you have to manually light it. Still needs the blower working though unless you have a non-forced-air, gravity furnace. That would not be original in an 83 Toyota RV though.

16 minutes ago, jdemaris said:

If it is a forced-air furnace with electronic ignition - the blower needs to turn on before it can light. If all you hear is humm - its sounds like your blower-motor is stuck. Post the model # of your furnace. I'm wondering if it is an NT12.  If it is not electronic and uses a quartz Piezo lighter - you have to manually light it. Still needs the blower working though unless you have a non-forced-air, gravity furnace. That would not be original in an 83 Toyota RV though.

Can't seem to find a model number. Uploaded some pics if that helps... If not where should I look?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

No need. .That appears to be a Suburban NT12.   Has electronic ignition for sure.  .The way it is supposed to work it this.  As soon as you turn it on - a blow runs and  has to make enough "wind" out the chimney to activate the "sail switch."  If all you hear is a humm, the blower is not working and it cannot light.

58 minutes ago, jdemaris said:

No need. .That appears to be a Suburban NT12.   Has electronic ignition for sure.  .The way it is supposed to work it this.  As soon as you turn it on - a blow runs and  has to make enough "wind" out the chimney to activate the "sail switch."  If all you hear is a humm, the blower is not working and it cannot light.

Ahh I see ok when you say "chimney" you do mean the vent on the side of the vehicle right? There is nothing on the roof that could be blocked right?

Also you mentioned the blower could be stuck.. This has not been used for over 5 years.. Is there a way I could try unsticking it before repairing it?

Here is a rusted-stuck blower I had to fix from a 1983 Sunrader with a NT12 furnace.   Seems to be in a spot that gets moisture from the Chinmney and can get rusted stuck.

100_0815.jpg

100_0818.jpg

The motor for the blower uses bronze "oillite" bushings that dry out. Very likely you can take it apart, spin the fan by hand, break it loose and make it work again. Once spinning on its own, it might lube itself and be OK. "Oillite" bushings are a special design that hold their own 30W motor oil that retracts into the wall of the bushing and gets release when the motor runs and they warm up.  Here is a link to some guy's video. I have no idea if it is of any use I do NOT watch videos ever from Utube so have not seen it myself.

Image1.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg