Corvair 95 Camper in BC on Craigslist

Allan

Neat looking rig. I assume made from a Corvan?  I just junked two Corvairs this spring.  Kind of a shame. Both were rusty but ran well.  I thought somebody would at least want them for the engines or transmissions. Nope.  Wound up scrapping them both.  A 1961 Greenbriar wagon and a 1963 Spyder. I wonder if that camper has a four-speed or just the Powerglide two-speed automatic.

55 minutes ago, linda s said:

Love it. Well worth the price even not running. I wonder if you can import non running vehicles.

Linda S

Due to it's age it should not be a big issue because it does not have to conform to EPA and DOT regulations but be sure you have every bit of paper work you can find from Canada.

I wonder what Ralph Nader would think of it?   I pity anybody that has to drive something like that in cold weather. Virtually no heat and no windshield defroster unless there is an optional gasoline heater installed. If so, the heater uses near as much fuel as the engine does.

This looks like the same rig.

Big drop in price. Was $3500.00

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-y9o_UoqR_5A/VOEiIeSNfXI/AAAAAAAAzvs/fU5GpHNqTaQ/s1600/1961-corvair-rv.jpg

Edited by fred heath
misprint

There is an Ultravan sitting in behind a farmer's barn near me. Been thinking, off an on about buying it.  HUGE project though.  Hasn't run in 20 years. Been crashed in back. Still has the Corvair engine though and it's the small one. Later ones got a bigger Corvair engine, and then even later - they got Chevy V8s.  Corvairs were a lot of fun as in small cars in warm-weather.  Not fun at all in cold weather.  Not sure I'd want to deal with Corvair power and leaks - in a motorhome.  Especially with a two-speed auto transmission.  I suspect the number of Corvair enthusiests is dwindling at time goes on.  I advertised the two I had, for free, and still could not get anyone to take them.  The 1961 ran great but was a rust-bucket.

This one appears to be a 4 speed manual. I brought in a 65 Monza rag top 17 years ago with no problems. Didn't have to pay duty as it was for personal use. Washington State DOT required it be inspected before I could get plates which could be problematic for a non running vehicle but probably not a huge obstacle.Viton seals help with the oil leaks but the stock heaters can still be stinky if everything isn't ship shape. I have been told the optional gasoline/petrol heaters use fuel at a rate comparable to our LP heaters with the advantage of providing instant heat; no need to warm the engine first.

Corvairs and air-cooled Volkswagens used similar gasoline heaters.  They used a LOT of gasoline.  Roughly equivalent to 7 miles per gallon when run at the max just for heat or to get the windshield defrosted.  I drove a 1973 VW type 3 station-wagon for many winters. When I turned the gasoline heater on - you could almost watch the gas-gauge drop.  ,But yes, it was instant heat.  I always felt like it was a potential bomb under the hood, just waiting to go off. Especially when its spark-plug fouled, it flooded, and then started to fire again.   No where near as efficient as propane heat.  A typical RV propane furnace is 75% efficient and can make 16K BTU of heat for 5 hours on one gallon of propane.

That all said, there are much more efficient gasoline and diesel heaters available now if somebody wanted to install one.

Thanks for the heads up.  I was considering getting a gas heater for my next early model Corvair. Perhaps it's time to look at other options.

On 2/16/2016 at 9:06 AM, Derek up North said:

Such as?

I would feel a little better if he at least shut the door! Maybe it's a steam powered Volvo and they are just stoking the fire.