Hello,

We are in the middle of an extended trip; 2000 miles down, 8000 to go,  and I have noticed a green streak forming from the head gasket right by the exhaust manifold on our 85 Sunrader with a 22RE.  I am pretty sure that it is coolant, although I have not lost more than 4 or 5 ounces of coolant over in over 2000 miles of driving. I do not want to do the head gasket mid trip in some unfamiliar city or town, but and want to continue the trip uninterrupted.  I am thinking of going the Bar's leak ( or some similar substance) route.  Any suggestions? Thanks

Its already broke, so to speak.  So go for it, Bars is about the best.

You will need to flush the radiator when you redo the head

No personal experience but after reading about cooling system problems related to stop leak type products I would never consider the use of one.  Nor would I buy a used vehicle that I suspected it was used in.    Jim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVDCTXL7MVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76GpMD4LIwY

Edited by jjrbus

Yes most people keep pouring in the stop leak instead of fixing it, later they get to replace the radiator and the heater core along with the head gasket.

If you are going to use Bars Leak to get you back home, be sure to use the dry pellets & not the Bars Leak in a bottle of liquid..

The liquid with the pellets in it will leave a residue in your cooling system that will look like you have oil in your radiator & add confusion to anyone who you select to repair your problem. If you are stuck many miles from home & feel helpless, I would not be afraid to use this method to get home.

Just BE SURE to watch your system very closely for coolant loss & overheating. Your radiator & heater core can be flushed when your tech makes the needed repair.. Donnie

SORRY, I glazed over the 8,000 mile figure.. Thought you were near home.........  Donnie

• 1 month later...

I purchased a small Nissan pick up truck.  At some time in its past it had a leak in the heater coil, they thought they could repair the leak by pouring some type of "stop leak" into the coolant system.  Long story short, the stop leak stuff completely clogged the trucks radiator.  I flushed the coolant system out and had the radiator taken apart and professionally cleaned by a radiator shop, the radiator was functioning at about 30% with the rest clogged by "stop leak".  Stay away from that stuff.  Get the head gasket taken care of and have the head surface refinished as it is likely warped and now is the time to fix it if you want a proper fix that won't eventually blow another gasket.  When I did the head gasket in my Toyota, I had the head as well as the block refinished to have a true surface on both.  

Edited by I<3myEscaper

OK, here's another thought. IF there's no coolant leaking into the oil, and IF your engine seems to be running OK (ie, no indication of head gasket leaking compression), you can just keep an eye on the coolant level and nurse the motor.  I had to do this for sevl months once with an old BMW 2002, which uses a motor that is very similar to a 22R.  I also gave a slight pull (maybe 10 degrees) on each head bolt.  it kept weeping coolant but never overheated or got much worse til I was able to pull the head and do it properly.  ideal?  no, but might be a way to get it home.

Edited by payaso del mar