BAJA CALIFORNIA

Stijn

Hi Everyone!

I'm Stijn and a fresh new member to this forum. I'm a Belgian national living in California and since a week or so a very proud owner of a 85' Toyota Sunrader Shorty, bought from a very nice man by the name of Keith. This first post of mine has two purposes. First of all my introduction! :) Glad to see such a busy forum about these great campers and an incredible source of information. Secondly this will be my first trip report of a trip down to Baja starting in San Francisco. I will be spending 2 weeks out there with my wife, mostly boondocking, camping and planning to do some whale trips. I'll post a route and list of things we are going to see/do over the next few weeks. We are leaving on the 8th of April. This leaves me some time to prep the Sunrader for it's first real test. 

Took the Sunrader out on a trip along the coast to Point Reyes last weekend, so here are some pictures! Going down to Santa Cruz, so more pictures will follow.

I'm planning on doing a lot trips, probably a lot down south so I'm also going to do a lot of work to the Sunrader and thus relying on this forum. :D

First things on my list:

- Fixing the transmission leak

- Solar panels

- Outdoor PVC pipe shower

- And making the Sunrader our little home on the road

Nice to meet you all!

Stijn

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

so if you got close enough to that old abandoned shrimper hull to see, is there a Calif. Proposition 65 warning label that it may contain chemicals known to the state of CA to Be Bad?  ;- )

nice rig, and welcome. 

any particular destination in Baja?  if you aren't on BAjaNomad.com board, check that out...lots of good folks and useful info altho there's zero moderation and thus lots of personal pissing contests.

Hi Payaso,

Looking into Bajanomad.com! Seems like a very good resource.

I've been to Baja before when I was doing a motorcycle trip in 2006. Young and reckless on a KLR650, which was a lot of fun!. I wanna go back to Bahia De Los Angeles, because it holds great memories. I did a part of the Baja 1000 from there, which was the highlight of the whole trip. I'm also planning to go to San Ignacio lagoon to see the grey whales, and I hope to swim with the whale sharks in Bahia De Los Angeles. Mulege is also on my list. If you have good tips... let me know!

Cheers,

Stijn

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Stijin, 

I too want to do a trip to Baja.  I did a trip in 1999 to Cabo San Lucas in 1976 Chinook with no AC in the summer and nearly died.  Now I have AC and am ready to go.   If you stop in Orange County let me know.   Would love to meet you, your wife, and your rig.  I'll probably go to Baja in the summer at least 1x.  I may do some weekend trips to Ensenada. . 

IMG_20160225_073928244_HDR (1).jpg