Couch bed and new flip sofa

well, i came into some time and money and even some freebies and have some new projects to share.

Got sick of the 4 inch cushions crushing to 0 when sleeping and the general lack of comfort of the pleather covers...

so i figured i'd share the solution.. in my case anyway the sunrader has a 6 foot couchbed that turns into a twin size bed ish when extended. This is achieved by slide extending a balsa wood plyboard out that has 2 legs on it and pulling the sofa cushions flat like a bed. I mistakingly thought this bed was a full size matress so i ordered a new visco-elastic memory foam mattress on ebay ( temperpedic knockoff) for $100 delivered. The seller mislisted the item which was a twin bed incorrectly listed as a full and refunded my money and told me i could keep the bed when it arrived in advance... when does that ever happen??? bed showed up was brand new in the package vacuum sealed.

When i opened it up it was exact match almost to the cushions from my couch laid out in bed mode. its also 7 inches thick; a nice improvement from the 4 inch crush prone ones.

Now i noticed i would have to cut them so i traced off the proper cut line and got out the electric bread knife. worked great. Next I ordered a futon cover for size full.... this is so that i have extra material to stitch in to sub-divide the seat and backrest cushions - thats on the way.

from another one of my favorite ebay sellers; a hubby and wife team that run a reclaimed rv parts shop in S.E. michigan i bought a very beautiful flip sofa that came out of a 2014 toy hauler for a couple hundred bucks. Its a nice leather unit with a flip down cup holder table built into the middle seat. I have decided to put that on the other side of the RV across from the original couch. I highly advise these flip sofas for our rigs; they are great and have a hinge that flips the whole backrest cushion over the top and extend it on the end making a bed; when in sofa mode they have storage behind the backrest for bedding which is awesome. they also can fold flat to the wall ; this is because toy haulers need the space for the toy (4 wheeler or other red neck fun device like a snowmobile ).. but in our toys they are great too.

So now the rig will have 2 huge couches that fold into beds along with the rooftop bed above the cab. not bad.

I plan on installation this weekend and some pics.

-Totem

Link to the ebay site couple you bought the flip sofa from would be good. I have gone nuts in the past trying to find these for people. Even if they only have them once and a while it would be good to be able to check once and a while

Linda S

http://www.ebay.com/usr/tristatesurplusllc?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

- seems you are right; all of their flips are sold out now... just down to the jacknife sofas. they have a lot of couch seats for dinettes also and replacement foam, cushions all kinds of stuff. they are half hour from my house so i walked their warehouse when i picked up the flip sofa was awesome!

I'd love to find a used jack-knife couch/bed like was used OEM in Minicruisers.  I'm trying to find a better and lighter setup to put into my 1978 Chinook.  I went to the Website of the place you mentioned (Hudson, Michigan).   Looks like they hardly have anything for sale - at least according to their Web-database.

http://www.tristatesurplusllc.com/

yeah jde, they don't post the sofas on the website. they post them on Ebay. they had jackknifes at the time I posted this thread but not sure if they still there... will check

Thanks. I guess I am using the wrong term though, for the type of bed I'm looking for.  Maybe they don't have a standard name.  Minicruisers have a couch that converts to a bed by pulling down the backrest. It kind of loops around to the front and becomes the outer part of the bed. I've never seen this sort of RV bed before having Minicruisers but I assume they exist in others.  Michigan seems to have a very high number of Minicruisers so I suspect there are some of these beds around.

I just found one. WAY too much money but  this is what I'm looking for.  Seller is calling it a "roll-over" couch.   I don't usually search places like Ebay for large items because the stuff is usually on the wrong side of the country and too expensive to ship.    If I could find one in Michigan it would be great.  NOT for $900 though. I could buy a whole Toyota motorhome for that much money.

Image5.jpg

1 hour ago, jdemaris said:

Thanks. I guess I am using the wrong term though, for the type of bed I'm looking for.  Maybe they don't have a standard name.  Minicruisers have a couch that converts to a bed by pulling down the backrest. It kind of loops around to the front and becomes the outer part of the bed. I've never seen this sort of RV bed before having Minicruisers but I assume they exist in others.  Michigan seems to have a very high number of Minicruisers so I suspect there are some of these beds around.

jde...I had one of those flip sofas in my sea breeze and couldn't get rid of it fast enough!...It was uncomfortable as a sofa and too narrow to sit or lay down sideways. When flipped to make a bed, it took up so much space I could not get passed it to use bathroom.

what you have shown here is what I referred to as a flip sofa; and that's what I bought; though I got a far nicer one for much less.

Its a flip sofa because the backrest literally flips 1 full time as it travels down to go into bed mode. When I left the store after picking up my flip they had just gotten in two more that were even nicer than the one I got and the one I got is awesome.  I have attached pics of it below. Love the cup holders

s-l1602.jpg

s-l1603.jpg

s-l1601.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

its gonna look oh so nice in my toy...and I have already passed out on it after a few beers... its NOT uncomfortable at all; in fact its probably one of the nicest couches I have had the pleasure of sitting on. $299 I paid. leather. This of course will just be the one side; the side that doesn't have tank pump battery and inverter on it etc..

On the other side I am putting the temperpedic style mattress cut into a couch in a futon cover that wife and I are sewing this weekend.

looks like this: bunch of license plates...I figured it fits the motif. (futon not included, just for demonstration purposes

s-l500.jpg

Yes - that is exactly what I'm looking for.  Love the one in our 88 Minicruiser.  My 84 Minicruiser had the same. I find it to be pretty ingenious.   The Winnebago Lesharo I scrapped had something similar but it was ungodly heavy.  

it was also amazingly light weight. I carried it out by myself and loaded it into truck just dandy.

The one I have (shown in the thread above) is 66 Inches so its a smidge smaller that the 72 inch wide birth; however I plan on using the space to store our outdoor folding chairs or other gear.

Like I said, she had 2 more of them that were NICER than the one I bought... she said they would be listing them soon. They are out of a 2015 toy hauler that had insurance claim.

Now I just need to figure out how to get it into the rig... don't want to damage it. was thinking about unbolting it into two pieces then reconstructing it once in to avoid removing front seat

Edited by Totem

broke out the Ryobi tools and got it all done this weekend.

the license plate couch bed turned out awesome also; but I just couldn't take the camera off the new flip.

when both of them are in bed mode it makes a king size. the leather is actually a chocolate brown but looks black in the pictures

installation involved building a frame which I re-used the lag bolts n mounts into the floor from the barrel chairs that used to be there,

The frame for the flip I made from 2x4s that I glued and screwed together with pilot holes. its probably overbuilt but is much stronger than the other oem couch.

Edited by Totem

Nice looking coach/bed.  Cute kid too.  My kid would like that cup-holder in the middle.    So, you like Ryobi too?   I've got just about every battery tool or device they make.  I've got WAY too many drills.  Mainly because every time I need batteries - it's cheaper to buy a battery-drill kit instead of just batteries.   This stuff has come a long way.  When I first went to work installing aluminum siding in the 60s - I had one of the first cordless drills.  1/4" drill by Black & Decker.  Batteries were built in and it took all night to recharge.  Seemed amazing at the time.  Year's later when Makita came out with the 9.6 volt guns - I was again, amazed.  When they went to 12 volt, their stuff seemed to turn to crap.  All Ryobi now.  The new Lithium batteries take a little getting used to. Nice thing is that you can charge them whenever you want. Downside is - they go dead with no warning.  No gradual loss of power like a Nicad.  We even have a Ryobi vacuum cleaner in our RV.

when I invested in Ryobi it was because of the release they did on one + system. they actually told customers that the new lithium tech was on its way years before it hit the shelves and that the form factor would stay the same. that is not true of any other brand I believe; so; if you have old NiCad tools they can now use the new batteries and you don't need to buy all new tools. they also have an impressive swath of gadgets indeed. who else has a 20 volt electric garden tiller that runs off drill batts?

I have the one plus laser miter saw, the chainsaw (wifes fav) , drills, 1/2 ratchet, and I am debating trying the leaf blower and weed whipper as my wife refuses to use anything gas powered. so for me its mostly to accommodate her though I must admit the miter saw is my favorite. get one for sure.

Besides all the tools - we also have half-a-dozen Ryobi flashlights.  They always go with us -in any vehicle or camping.  It is with the flashlights where the lithium batteries can be problematic.  NO warning when the battery is getting weak.  The Ni-cad will start getting dim for awhile and give warning. The lithium stays bright and then - all of a sudden - goes dead with NO light.  So when it's important - carry two if using lithium.

that's why I go straight up lithium plus instead of the cheaper lithium ion. - has the battery fuel gauge meter; just press and you know where you stand. they don't tend to give those batteries away with the drills though.

the 4AH buy one get one deal at home depot is a worthy spend for 99$ if you have a lot of Ryobi gear. one of those 4 ah LION + with meter packs ran my saw all day and drills too. when I was done putting the couch in I pushed the button to check the pack, was still fully charged.

- just ordered the weed whipper today. guy on ebay sells em recon with battery pack and charger for 54 delivered.

Edited by Totem

I didn't even know that had such a thing. Now that I know - I guess it will be yet another addition to my Ryobi stuff.  I sometimes buy foreclosed houses to work on and resell. Last year I had three and at each - I kept a pile of Ryobi stuff.  Now that I've sold them all - I've got many of the tools in triplicate.  I've got to go to Home Depot today. I suppose now I'll have to look at these Lithium Plus batteries.  Glad you mentioned it (but my wallet won't be).

I am on the fence on ordering the huge LED work light they have (is like an LED version of those super bright halogen work lights from back in the day)

saw they had a couple led shop lights also to choose from. I am interested in the fan also... that could come in handy in the RV

Well - thanks to you my wallet is now $80 lighter. I just came back from Home Depot and got two of those batteries.  I don't get it.  The smaller lithium batteries (1.2 amp-hour) are still $100 for a two-pack.  These bigger ones (4 amp hour)  - are three times the size, have charge-indicators - and cost $74 for a pair.  On a relative scale - seems to be a fantastic deal. Having the charge indicator is a great thing to have on a flashlight.  No more walking a 1/4 mile from the house in the dark and having the flashlight - all of a sudden - go dead.  

Hi all;

If you're looking for a cheap alternative, I got a flip sofa (jack knife type, etc) at the junkyard for $40. Mine came out of a van, and fit perfectly. I reupholstered, so it probably cost me $120 all in. Just a suggestion--

1 hour ago, Derek up North said:

Typical! The same 4aH 2-pack are $159 @ HD (Canada). :(

That is with the "happy Canadian" tax added. I read recently that Canadians, in general, are happier people the we USA-Americans.  Canada was included in our Articles of Confederation of 1781.  I guess Canada was invited to join us and said "heck no", and has been glad ever since?

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 5:22 PM, AZ84Dolphin said:

Hi all;

If you're looking for a cheap alternative, I got a flip sofa (jack knife type, etc) at the junkyard for $40. Mine came out of a van, and fit perfectly. I reupholstered, so it probably cost me $120 all in. Just a suggestion--

I found an even cheaper alternative though I decided to buy the one I did because of the cupholders; on ebay a guy is selling just the flip sofa hardware brackets; build/upholster your own couch matress.. The brackets were $25, figure another 8 for plywood 40 for material and a nice fresh custom flip could be made. I thought about it hard but went this way instead

Edited by Totem