Fire warning.

Old toy-homer...new member here.  Just yesterday discovered this great site.  Several years ago I was on the road to a family reunion in Ga. when I started hearing the dreaded thump-thump of a tread separation.  I was between major towns, So I just slowed down and figured I'd wait till the next town to check it out.  I made it there...just barely...and it blew.  Pulled off at the next available spot and went to look.  Blow-out and tread separation on right rear dual.  The tread was broken where it blew out, but still attached to about half the circumference of the tire which was acting as a club, beating on everything within a foot, INCLUDING A COPPER PROPANE LINE which was torn into.  I still don't know how I  avoided what surely would have been a disasterous fire if that steel belt had generated a spark.  A word of warning....if you hear a thump-thump....stop and investigate as soon as possible.  If it's on the right-rear, a blow-out or tread separation could have dire consequenses.  As I read in another post, another very good argument for turning off your propane valve while on the road!

Welcome to the site, some good people are putting a lot of time and effort into keeping it up!

I was on the way home with a new to me 94 Sea Breeze when I heard the dreaded thump. My first thought was what is the that? A nano second later I thought oh poopies and another nano second  BOOM!

The tires were 14 years old in hindsight I never should have tried driving home on them. I did buy Emergency road service before I left to pick it up, bit of a premonition there.

Jim SW FL

DID THAT ON THE REAR OF MY 1977 TOYOTA WAGON. AND THE BLOWOUT RIPPED THE GAS TANK FILLER NECK HOSE OFF THE TANK. DUMPING 13 GALLONS OF GAS OUT. ALL IT WOULD OF TAKEN WAS ONE SPARK. AND KABOOM. WAS ABLE TOO PUT THE HOSE BACK ON WITH BAILING WIRE HOSE CLAMP. AND REFILL WITH GAS . I NEW I SHOULD OF YANKED THAT TIRE BEFOR            GO   ING TO WYOMING

wow.  I was already worried about the location of the fuel filler on El Bandito, and now i'm for sure moving it and making up a protector plate for the hose....same thing, if a tire came apart, it would shred the fuel filler assy.  thanks all for posting these experiences...you may have saved someone's arse (and their toyhome) from a fiery doom

On 2/9/2016 at 11:28 AM, Jayhawker said:

Old toy-homer...new member here.  Just yesterday discovered this great site.  Several years ago I was on the road to a family reunion in Ga. when I started hearing the dreaded thump-thump of a tread separation.  I was between major towns, So I just slowed down and figured I'd wait till the next town to check it out.  I made it there...just barely...and it blew.  Pulled off at the next available spot and went to look.  Blow-out and tread separation on right rear dual.  The tread was broken where it blew out, but still attached to about half the circumference of the tire which was acting as a club, beating on everything within a foot, INCLUDING A COPPER PROPANE LINE which was torn into.  I still don't know how I  avoided what surely would have been a disasterous fire if that steel belt had generated a spark.  A word of warning....if you hear a thump-thump....stop and investigate as soon as possible.  If it's on the right-rear, a blow-out or tread separation could have dire consequenses.  As I read in another post, another very good argument for turning off your propane valve while on the road!

Fortunately the OPD tank valves shut off with pressure loss of a burst hose or line.

21 hours ago, Maineah said:

Fortunately the OPD tank valves shut off with pressure loss of a burst hose or line.

Doesn't do you much good when you've got an RV with no OPD valve.  Neither my 1978 Chinook or my 1988 Minicruiser have one.

Hope you don't forget. 75% of RV fires are electrical followed by fuel leaks (gas and diesel) and then the numbers tumble pretty quickly to fridge fires, wheel bearings (campers/5th wheels) and cooking . Common fridge fires are related to poor propane connections ( good ideal to check that kind of stuff) and flammable refrigerant. Propane is safe if properly maintained.Yes turning the gas off works I use propane to cool my fridge it gets inspected often so I feel pretty safe using it.

11 minutes ago, Maineah said:

Hope you don't forget. 75% of RV fires are electrical followed by fuel leaks (gas and diesel) and then the numbers tumble pretty quickly to fridge fires, wheel bearings (campers/5th wheels) and cooking . Common fridge fires are related to poor propane connections ( good ideal to check that kind of stuff) and flammable refrigerant. Propane is safe if properly maintained.Yes turning the gas off works I use propane to cool my fridge it gets inspected often so I feel pretty safe using it.

From the accident and fire reports I've read on the subject of RVs - one conclusion is almost universal.  That is that the true cause of fires in RVs is often near impossible to determine.  That because they have so many combustibles along with multiple fuels on board and burn up so quickly.  So - one thing I do NOT forget is that is rare when the actual cause of total-loss RV fire is known.  That is - unless it is involved in a crash and then catches fire.  Then at least the incipient cause is known.  Heck, it is rare when even house fire causes are determined  - at least around here.  Newspapers like to say "caused by this or that" - but when you read the actual conclusions of the investigations (if there are any) - the answer is often "cause undetermined."    Like this one.  A friend of mine died in this fire.   I had a special interest since he was a demolition expert in Viet Nam and had already blown up one house in another state.  So when his house in Michigan blew to pieces and he got killed, I got interested.  Took some time to get answers - but I finally did.  "Cause undetermined."   Just like most RV fires.  One thing I DO know for sure. If my propane is shut off, it can't leak - regardless if a line or fitting springs a leak.  My 3-way refrigerator works fine on 14 volts DC when driving.

HFC3.jpg

I don't make these things up it came from insurance investigations stats. They like to investigate these things, risk management. Pushers catch fire in the back end class C's catch fire in the front fridges burn the sides out 5th wheels burn the wheel wells out there is very little in an RV of any type that will not burn but people still enjoy them and most don't catch fire. I'm not afraid of my propane and my fridge does not work on 12 volts I do however maintain it yes I actually leak test it every spring and all my fittings are double flared. To each there own.