I agree with you Linda. I would not look through 56 plus pages for something.

My dining room table started with 2.25" fir flooring. Unfortunately I did not take pictures of the build. The boards were glued together on the tongue and groove. The end boards were ripped and routered for a 23" width. I used a biscuit cutter to join the end boards. Everything was glued together with Elmer's woodworking glue. Applied two coats of clear Watco oil and a couple coats of Johnsons paste wax.

I just tried to upload more pictures but was told I could only upload 11.72mb.  What happened here?     The second picture I put together to show some of the tools I used.

IMG_0540.JPG

IMG_0544.JPG

Yeah, that's very nice. I need to do something similar, but it needs to support a good bit of weight since I have the table that swings down to form the middle of a twin bed. Standard 1x material seems too thin, while 2x would probably be overkill (and heavy).

Great, thanks. I have been considering a good 3/4 oak ply with glued/nailed edging, so maybe that's the way I'll go. Would like to do my countertops similarly...

we made a Murphy bed for our cabin from regular 3/4" ACX ply....it was plenty strong for wife and I, and the small amount of "flex" in the plywood made for a comfy sleep.  you can also stiffen up plywood by saturating the surface with epoxy resin thinned 50% plus with xylene....it soaks into the outer few layers of wood fibers and makes it more rigid and IMHO should protect from the elements since water literally can't soak into the outer layer of wood fibers.  done this a bunch on my boats.