I want it to run cooler 22re

pcmentor29

Any suggestions on getting it to run as cool as I want. It's been buggin me for a while. Main issue right now after running at middle gauge on 105 degree day if I stop engine for 10 mins then restart temp gauge reads 90% untill I run for a while. How can I fix this. Pete

I have been thinking of removing my clutch fan and putting in an after market electric fan that will run for a period of time after the engine shuts down.

Would you like me to move this discussion to the tech issues section? I will be out of town wed. morning until sat with no internet service.

Greg

Hi Greg, I went all through putting a 16 inch electric fan in but would not even keep it as cool as the fan clutch fan so I yanked it out, I really have some problem with mine I have yet to figure out. I have a triple core radiator a new fan clutch from toyota ,correct thermostat, I am thinking of putting in headers to see if exhaust resistence is causing heat buildup. I am almost beat. Pete

Thats interesting that it did not cool as well with the electric fan. Something to consider. I have never had a cooling problem I just do not like the loudness of the clutch fan when it engauges. Its really loud. My catalytic converter was clogged, yours could be too depenging on milage. Toyota wants a heavy penny for one and the bolt on aftermarket ones are necked down at the inlet and outlets and overall smaller in size. For less money than toyota you can have built by a muffler shop.

What about the timing chain. I think its possible that a stretched chain could throw off valve timing and cause an overheat condition. Another possibility is the water pump. The impellers do wear out or I should say off and then you get reduced water flow.

greg

• 2 weeks later...

A soft lower hose can collaspe and reduce the flow through the radiator.

Might check the wate temp using a thermometer in radiator with the cap off. Maybe you have a bad sender.

It is common for an engine to heat up after its parked. There is no cooling water going through the engine then, should cool of in a minute or so after the engine is started

• 1 month later...

I have a friend who bought new a '91 Chevy 1 ton 4x4 dually for use as a tow truck. Chevrolet had a bad overheating problem for a few years, and his was one of them. What he did was to install boat louvers in the hood to vent the heat out. Since doing that, his tow truck hasn't overheated in 14 years.

• 2 months later...

Any suggestions on getting it to run as cool as I want. It's been buggin me for a while. Main issue right now after running at middle gauge on 105 degree day if I stop engine for 10 mins then restart temp gauge reads 90% untill I run for a while. How can I fix this. Pete

www.two2cool.com will solve about %99.99 of your problems!!! havent tried in the 22r or RE but will here very soon. It works great in the Chevs and the Fords though when towing!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

assuming that coolant temp returns to normal shortly after restarting, I wouldn't sweat it. As has already been mentioned, the coolant is not circulating when the engine is off, therefore the coolant in the engine is gonna get real hot. Your temp gauge measures this coolant rather than the coolant in the radiator that has been getting cooler.

The only bit of advice I might give is go easy on it for a minute or two before shutting down.