Waterproofing Shower Space

centralman

Since I bought my 1987 Toyota Dolphin in May 2009, I have never used the shower before as I tried to turn the shower faucet on water came out right from the faucet for some reason ...

Anyway, I set it my goal to try to get the shower to work properly this year, but before I do that, the shower space seemed to be just was up with wall paper, I wonder if showering there would damage the wood panel.

So, I would like to ask for advice from fellow members if they have any success using anything to waterproof the shower space? Please advise what I could use to make the space water proof.

Hate to see a RFC unanswered, so will comment on the least, the rest will be a SWAG. The first time I pressurized the faucet/shower set in my Sunrader, I too was dismayed to see what appeared to be a serious leak from the Hot/Cold valve housing-cover. I later found out that it's some sort of air-relief valve that only "weeps" until the unit comes up to pressure at the shower head, then stops. Still not attractive, but there you go, it is a shower.

The other question, as I understand it, having seen some other RVs that don't have the Sunraders fiberglass molded shower stall, is a matter of careful inspection and perhaps re-covering the panels and re-caulking, or opting for coating with some sort of high-tech brush-on waterproof sealant. (it depends on how attached you are to the wallpaper I guess :) ). The factory original assemblies I've seen on non-molded enclosures seemed to to be some sort of plasticized waterproof wallpaper with adhesive backing, over paneling, then (caulked) aluminum trim at the corners/seams. If everything is water-tight, theoretically, it should be ok for the abbreviated type of showers most RVers take. But..... water, heat and steam have a way of exploiting the smallest leak, so I would probably look for a better-than-original solution. I have seen shower stalls in older homes with Marlite panels that lasted a long time, so I guess you could replace the old panels with that, or FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) Check around on the web. Seems like whatever I want to do, someone's always done it before.........

BR, TG

The wallpaper is supposed to be water proof. it's old though and might not block the water as much as it should. My Tiger Provan had wall paper. I peeled it all off and painted the shower area with marine top side paint. You need to have a fan going cause you don't want to breath too much of it but it sealed the surface beautifully. I have heard lots of people don't bother to take off the wallpaper first but with this paint it bubbled up so I didn't really have a choice.

Linda S

FRP panels, plastic molding and bathroom caulk. Totally water proof and lasts your lifetime.

About the silicone water proofing spray - if you use this on wood,, no paint-on coating will ever stick to the walls again. I'd go with installing fiberglass panels with aluminum trim right over the old walls.

John

oh yeah...forgot about NOTHING sticking to silicone. Would be OK if it worked, but screwed if it didnt!!!

Thank you for everyone's input especially Toyoguy for replying me first!

I think the original water heater is very inefficient so I plan to remove that altogether.

Then I will be installing this water heater.

Then waterproof the whole shower area with this.

Any comments would be very much welcomed.

Check around the web for reviews on the waterproofer. It works well, but doesn't hold up to rubbing.

Linda, I plan to install the water heater somewhere beneath the air vent in the washroom. I think that should provide sufficient circulation of air.

WME: Yes I am still researching for better waterproofing method, however FRP panels, plastic molding and bathroom caulk is a bit too much for me. If there's something easier please let me know.

The FRP isn't that difficult to deal with and the trim cuts with a hacksaw blade. However if it's a bit much then get the best boat deck paint you can find. Remove all the wallpaper and paint the wood.

Well that's what I said I did and I didn't buy over priced expensive top side paint either. Found a couple of boat sites where people were saying they had just as good results with Rustoleum brand marine top side paint and it's less than half the price off the West Marine stuff.

Linda S