Wanted: Toyota Mh Owner Opinions

Huntsman88

Hello all,

I am not an owner of a Toyota RV. Currently I have a camper I put on my 1983 3/4 ton long bed (5-speed). However I have been throwing the idea around of getting a Toyota MH instead. I commute to a different city (about 90 miles away from my home) once a week. I am at school for 3 days a week, and use to camper to sleep in while at school.

There is currently a 1983 Toyota Huntsman for sale, with 67,000 miles for $2500. Its looks to be in decent shape. I have had an obsession with MH's since I was little. So I fear I may not be thinking rationally! ;) It would be great to get some opinions, Should I stick with using the camper (fear of wearing the truck out) or invest in this MH that seems like a great deal (I'm not sure what kind of reputation the Huntsman has on here)?

Thanks for your time and input!

almost all the Huntsman's we see have the 5 lug axle that needs to be replaced. I don't recommend it for anyone who isn't a skilled mechanic and who already knows where a correct 6 lug axle can be found. You will probably save money either way by finding one with the right axle in the first place. Got pics?

Linda S

Found the ad for it. I don't love it but it does have the correct axle upgrade

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/rvs/5358644448.html

Hi Linda, thanks for the post. I don't have pics, but here is the craigslist ad http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/rvs/5358644448.html It appears the to have an updated 6 lug.....Another issue is money (as a broke student) I feel like this may be the only one I will ever see in my price range.

Looks like a good deal to me. I see many Toyota RVs pop up for sale in price ranges $1000-$2000. Usually all need repairs and/or updates. The Huntsman you are looking at - at least from here - looks pretty good. And having the full-floating rear is a big plus. If I was wanting it - I'd try to buy for somewhat less but $2500 is not super-high if it is as nice as it looks in the photos. It won't go near as fast as your truck and camper combo but hopefully will get better fuel mileage. That being said - my Dodge diesel 4WD pickup with a pop-up roof camper on the back gets 17 MPG doing 70 MPH. That Huntsman will be getting around 15-16 MPG doing 55 MPH.

Thanks for the response Ya Baby! My truck and camper combo can only do 55mph too (unless downhill of course). The transmission likes to chatter if I pop it into 5th gear on the slightest incline with the camper on the back. So usually im going 55 in 4th with the camper on......im also doing the commute in a very windy gorge....15-16MPG is about what I'm getting with the camper on my Toyota pickup (camper weighs about 900 lbs loaded).......I also know where I can get an diesel Isuzu Pup for the same amount as the MH.....That might be a better rig for hauling the camper.

Thanks for the response Ya Baby! My truck and camper combo can only do 55mph too (unless downhill of course). The transmission likes to chatter if I pop it into 5th gear on the slightest incline with the camper on the back. So usually im going 55 in 4th with the camper on......im also doing the commute in a very windy gorge....15-16MPG is about what I'm getting with the camper on my Toyota pickup (camper weighs about 900 lbs loaded).......I also know where I can get an diesel Isuzu Pup for the same amount as the MH.....That might be a better rig for hauling the camper.

I've got a 4WD 1985 diesel PUP. 2.2 liter diesel and four speed manual trans. WAY too underpowered for any sort of camper setup. I wouldn't even use it with a little pop-up roof Chinook. Diesels never make as much power as gas engines if aspirated the same, with equal size. Isuzu 2.2 diesel is rated 58 horsepower. Great little firewood truck though.

Great pics....that's a cool pickup. Yeah that's pretty much the pickup. I figured the extra torque would be a benefit.....but maybe that wouldn't be enough.
I hadn't done the research yet on HP etc. so thanks for that! I guess I will rule that option out. Check this one out that just hit the market! http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/rvs/5393695393.html

Seems more enticing than the Huntsman!

• 2 weeks later...

a word of caution - look deeper at that rear axles. Just because it has 6 lugs does not neccessarily mean that you are not looking at a converter plate. There were some "plates" that bolted to a 5 lug axle and had a 6 lug setup upon which to bolt a 6 lug wheel.