Navidad 2015 En Mexico

payaso del mar

we left El Paso at about 1 am, hoping to get to the border ahead of the expected morning southbound rush. As you may be aware, you now get to deal with US customs doing searches of OUTbound vehicles....often takes far longer than the Mexican Aduana (customs) people. Got all border paperwork done quickly since no need for vehicle permit (we were staying in the Sonora "free zone") and were in San Carlos by afternoon. Goodbye cold and overbearing govt presence everywhere, hello bougainvillea flowers and people with a constant sense of humor no matter how crappy their life is.

post-8526-0-19983800-1452022446_thumb.jppost-8526-0-09255500-1452022451_thumb.jp

First night, we stayed at one of the local "budget" hotels, $34/night and no hot water despite repeated efforts and trips to ofc (Manager: "you just need to leave shower on for 15 minutes and you’ll get hot water."). Next night, we went prospecting out in the Ranchitos area and found a very nice condo for $10/night if we stayed for 5 nights. Hot water and everything, even dishes. And a very amiable security guard at night, good thing since the Toyota’s exterior door handles had BOTH broken in the 3 days before trip, so we were only just barely latching em for fear of locking ourselves out.

Once we get there and I set up the Portabote, I can slip it at the "dinghy dock" at Marina San Carlos for about $2-3/night; again, pretty secure with friendly nighttime guard. I took the rods off but that was about all....left the outboard, sonar, VHF, etc aboard and never have any issues.

The current peso exchange rate is about 17 pesos per dollar, way up from the roughly 13:1 it was last time I went. We were AMAZED at how cheap everything was....San Carlos is a resort town, big expat-gringo outpost and thus Mexico-Lite, and prices tend to be more like US ones. Not any more....we had several meals at restaurants where we spent about $4/each. One day we wallowed in ceviche tostadas and shrimp tacos and dropped maybe $12 for both of us. This area of coastal Sonora has relatively high employment and thus a little less endemic poverty than much of Mexico.

In a happy coincidence, our close friends from Albuquerque were there at same time, so we got to hook up for dinner and cervezassssss. Shawn is my closest fishing buddy but we didn’t get out together this trip. He later told me he caught nada in his 1 trip out.

Trip was more about both of us having fun than my usual"fishing death camp" trips, and I only got out fishing maybe 4-5 times. With the 2hp Honda (left the 8hp at home due to several issues), it takes 20 minutes just to get out of the harbor. Caught all of 2 fish the entire trip, both big sierra (type of medium size mackerel, very tasty on the grill). One was about 32" and 10 lbs, biggest one of those I’ve ever caught....they only get to maybe 15. No marlin, altho I did try a few bites of marlin taco for the first time....they smoke it so it tastes like TX-style BBQ’d brisket. Between the mercury and the sustainability issues, reckon I’ll pass on those in the future altho it was good.

post-8526-0-25351900-1452022373_thumb.jppost-8526-0-61205900-1452022436_thumb.jp

Got back to the storm from hell.....as we crossed the Conti Divide, it was 36 degrees but we watched it fall to 15 with blowing snow as we approached El Paso. Bandit was covered in snow and gave us the reproachful glare as we returned: "At least the DOGS got let inside and fed while you were gone; what about ME?" I had to assure the ole gal that I’ll try to have her ready for the return trip on Prez-Day weekend, which WILL be the Fishing Death Camp (stealth camp in marina parking lot so can be on water before first light, fish til my back and butt won’t take more, drink, sleep, repeat) expedition.......

post-8526-0-51221900-1452022358_thumb.jppost-8526-0-88706600-1452022368_thumb.jp

I meant to add: if anyone is interested in traveling south of the border, i'll be happy to answer any Qs anyone has on logistics, etc etc. and if anyone plans to cross at El Paso and needs a jumping-off point, contact me via PM.

Sounds like a great trip. Almost makes me wish I were still in SoCal - almost!