Kohler Generator

F4 pilot

<_< I have a Kohler 2.5 CMZ generator in a 1990 Itasca Spirit on a Toyota frame. The governor arm will not open the throttle to keep up with the A/C load. I set the cycle rate to the book 63.5 Hz. Turning on any appliance of 500 watts or more just bogs the Gen down. Is there an internal connection that could come loose? I replace the 6335 with a new 7300 as I too had wild DC voltage reading and a high A/C ripple.

I need a new muffler any idea on a supplier for this?

• 4 weeks later...

I do not have experience with that type of motor, however, if it has a mechanical governor that

uses springs, the springs could be shot or rusty and not working the way they should. I have

seen a similiar problem on small motorcycles.

Dennis...

• 1 year later...

I have one too. Mine works good except I need a new muffler. Go out and manually turn the throttle & see if it can pull the load then. If not try cleaning the carb and reset the jets.

I replaced my governor gears (they are internal). The governor shaft had play in it (where it connected to the rod that worked the linkage to the throttle - I ended up using jbweld to get rid of the play).

I can email you the kohler manual for that generator.

Mine will pull the overhead AC, but it is working to do it. I set mine up by using an voltmeter 0 under load set it to 115 vac - I could set it in the window where I could see it while bending the shaft (yes that is what the manual tells you to do)

email djunk121@yahoo.com if you want the manuals.

I need a new muffler too - my dealer wants major $$ - as Kohler will have to build one special apparently. I am looking for a muffler too - looks like I will have to build one myself. I saw a website advertising really quiet one.

<_< I have a Kohler 2.5 CMZ generator in a 1990 Itasca Spirit on a Toyota frame. The governor arm will not open the throttle to keep up with the A/C load. I set the cycle rate to the book 63.5 Hz. Turning on any appliance of 500 watts or more just bogs the Gen down. Is there an internal connection that could come loose? I replace the 6335 with a new 7300 as I too had wild DC voltage reading and a high A/C ripple.

I need a new muffler any idea on a supplier for this?

It might have to be set, the rod and lever that comes out the crankcase needs to be full throttle position when unit is off, hold it all the way and tighten the lever to the rod, all the other springs out side would be adj next then tested and you would have to bend one of the tabs. If the rod and lever that comes out of crankcase doesn't try to pull back and close throttle somewhat when running the plastic gear inside need to be replaced Just be prepared to shut it off quick if it trys to over rev.

• 9 months later...

I have the Kohler generator in my 92 Winnie and after a carb cleaning and oil change with synthetic it roars like a lion. My Governor does not work at all so I adjusted the throttle permanently just high enough to run the AC and Microwave. I usually camp with full hook ups but the few times we have pulled over for lunch and need some AC and the Microwave it has worked very well. I called Kohler and they said very few of these Kohlers are still running and to enoy it as is, they also mentioned how very loud they are and they are right.