Propane Tank Replacement Questions In Sunrader

Hey all, I have recently acquired an 83 Toyota sunrader. Wouldn't you know the tanks were never replaced! They are to old to use obviously. Looking for suggestions... Is Blue Rino ( and similar pre filled companies) ok tanks to use?

Every propane tank I have come across thus far all say "tanks need to stay upright at all times" in the warning labels and in the Rader they are lying down on there side... Are they just saying that to protect there butts or is that a thing and I should be looking for tanks I can lay on there side?

Also tanks bump around a bit more in an rv than they do hooked up to a grill. Is that ok? Are certain tanks designed to be "roadworthy"?

Lastly as the propane tanks are in a compartment in the side of the vehicle ( not accessible from the inside ) I had the thought to put a carbon monoxide detector in the propane tank storage area so if a leak happens in there I'll know right away... Good idea?

There are two types of tanks or should I say valve systems. The normal is the type you would use for a BBQ that sits upright. The other sits on its side. It is not advised to use a standard BBQ type tank sitting on it's side I have been told as there is a possibility of liquid propane flowing regulator.

Thanks for the reply,

Are these that sit on there side 20 lb tanks? My compartment is quite obviously built for two 20lb tanks that look exactly like bbq tanks. Where can I find the ones that you mention lay on there side? I've researched quite a bit but no luck thanks!

There are two types of tanks or should I say valve systems. The normal is the type you would use for a BBQ that sits upright. The other sits on its side. It is not advised to use a standard BBQ type tank sitting on it's side I have been told as there is a possibility of liquid propane flowing regulator.

Tons of places. These are pretty reasonable

http://www.propanetankstore.com/20-lb-5-gallon-manchester-horizontal-propane-tank-with-gauge/?gclid=COSui4GWgMoCFY-Cfgod7bYM3Q

You can also look on ebay and see if you can find some with free shipping or check your local craigslist and see if anyone is selling some used ones in nice condition.

Search 20lb horizontal propane tanks

Linda S

Putting a carbon monoxide detector in your propane compartment will do no good. You need a propane gas detector. I have a carbon monoxide and a propane detector in my RV. My propane tank is located in a compartment with an open bottom under the RV so it should not accumulate as easily. Propane is heavier than air and it will settle to the ground and spread out or blow away unless it is contained in an enclosed compartment.

Also great to know thanks for the help I will be returning my CM/Smoke detector I bought today to get what you have... This is all new to me and it's quite hard to find knowledgeable people up this way when it comes to RVs.

Putting a carbon monoxide detector in your propane compartment will do no good. You need a propane gas detector. I have a carbon monoxide and a propane detector in my RV. My propane tank is located in a compartment with an open bottom under the RV so it should not accumulate as easily. Propane is heavier than air and it will settle to the ground and spread out or blow away unless it is contained in an enclosed compartment.

That does seem to be the best deal even though the prices are outrageous! I could buy five uprights for the price of one horizontal esh. I'll have to stick with getting just one for now. Thanks for the link :)

Tons of places. These are pretty reasonable
http://www.propanetankstore.com/20-lb-5-gallon-manchester-horizontal-propane-tank-with-gauge/?gclid=COSui4GWgMoCFY-Cfgod7bYM3Q
You can also look on ebay and see if you can find some with free shipping or check your local craigslist and see if anyone is selling some used ones in nice condition.
Search 20lb horizontal propane tanks
Linda S

Any idea if sunrader a came stock with propane detectors? Maybe I'm just not seeing it? From what I gather they are mostly hard wired in.

I thought every date had 12 years after certification?? Is that only for the bbq type? Do I just Re-certify?? I was told they won't get filled if the date stamped on it is up? So confused:(

Able...tanks dont AGE out..... if not rusted bad, they can be checked and recertified....my tank is 26 years old. Had some light rust on it so I sanded and painted it.

Huh I wonder. Where was yours located?

They should have come with detectors. My 86 came with one. I think most RV's were required to have them. National parks can refuse to let you camp if you don't have one even though I've never seen anyone get checked.

Linda S

I have half-a-dozen horizontal tanks from Toyota Chinooks and Chevy Chinooks. All look like this and still available new. The new ones don't come with the nice gauge though. Horizontal tanks are exempt from the new valve requirements. This tank is from a 77 Chinook and it still has the 1977 inspect date on it (the only date).

post-6578-0-38307500-1451416360_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-20155000-1451416362_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-40362500-1451416363_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-42877900-1451416365_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-17164300-1451416367_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-67543100-1451416368_thumb.jp

I thought every date had 12 years after certification?? Is that only for the bbq type? Do I just Re-certify?? I was told they won't get filled if the date stamped on it is up? So confused:(

This is an area where you do not want to be confused. If it were me I would take the tank to a regular propane dealer. Not the fill station at Sams club or Wal Mart. This will be someone that sells tanks and services LP equipment. Propane dealers can be found in the yellow pages, If they tell you it needs to be replaced take it to another one for a 2nd opinion. HTH Jim

Horizontal tanks do not need to be recertified. When the new regulations came into place they were made exempt because the valves couldn't be upgraded.

Linda S

Where do you come up with that? I'll believe it when I see it in writing somewhere. I have the Federal regs in print. Title 49, Transportation, # 180.229. They state that any DOT tank must meet the recertification requirements of whatever model tank it happens to be. Makes no difference if horizontal or vertical. Yes, the horizontal DOT tanks are exempt from the OPD valve requirement. Not from inspection though. At least nothing in writing that I have ever seen.

For example - the horizontal tank in my Chinook is a type "DOT 4BA240." The Federal law shows all tanks - 4B, 4BA, 4BW, and 4B-240ET to be recertified as thus. There is a choice of three different tests. #1 is the "visual" inspection like mine was done recently. If just visually inspected for rust, dents, or missing parts or tags - it is good for 5 years. #2 is the "proof-pressure" test. This is good for 7 years. #3 is the "volumetric expansion test." This is good for 12 years.

If you know of a written exception to this Federal reg - please post.

Update*** went and got my tanks re-inspected.. $15 each! Thanks so much for the advice ya'll!

Able...tanks dont AGE out..... if not rusted bad, they can be checked and recertified....my tank is 26 years old. Had some light rust on it so I sanded and painted it.

Some thoughts:

1_ a propane "tank" is mounted vertical - designed to be part of permanent installation.

2_ a propane cylinder is used vertical - think bbq grill/

3_ I want my propane detector in the cabin - installed low - a few inches above the floor. I had a 92 Itasca spirit which did not have one until I added. I now have a 93 winnie warrior which does have one. In the "old days" some used to test propane detectors by using an unlit butane lighter, new ones say not to do that and instead have a test circuit,

4_ even though your tanks look like a regular bbq cyclinder, I suspect they are different.

Some thoughts:

1_ a propane "tank" is mounted vertical - designed to be part of permanent installation.

2_ a propane cylinder is used vertical - think bbq grill/

3_ I want my propane detector in the cabin - installed low - a few inches above the floor. I had a 92 Itasca spirit which did not have one until I added. I now have a 93 winnie warrior which does have one. In the "old days" some used to test propane detectors by using an unlit butane lighter, new ones say not to do that and instead have a test circuit,

4_ even though your tanks look like a regular bbq cyclinder, I suspect they are different.

I guess I don't fully understand what you are saying. To be technical - a container that holds propane and is controlled by Federal transportation regulations - is called a "D.O.T. cylinder", and technically not a "tank." DOT (call it tank or cylinder) - is basically designed to be transported now and then.

An ASME propane container is the one that gets the technical name of "tank." It is thicker steel and designed for stationary use. Thus the reason why it has a fill valve so it can be filled in-place without disconnecting the regulator (in most cases).

I have three RVs with D.O.T. 20 lb.propane "cylinders." Two are horizontal and one is vertical. My vertical is just a barbeque "tank." My two horizontal units are also D.O.T. versions and not designed for any barbeques I know of (although they would work). They do not have over-fill protection devices (OPD valves) and are not required to get them.

Note that my RV horizontal tanks are 20 pounders and are D.O.T. units subject to inspection requirements. There are some newer 20 lb. horizontal "tanks" that are ASME and not subject to inspections. My 1977 and 1978 Toyota Chinooks both came with these D.O.T. horizontal cylinders. So did my 1977 Chevy Blazer-Chalet (also made by Chinook).

• 3 weeks later...

I got my propane tanks reinspected and got a sticker. Guy said there in great shape especially for there age.

I want to now check my system for leaks. I got myself a manometer and watched a few YouTube videos on checking the system by plugging the manometer in the stove... Is this all of your strategies? Does doing it this way check all of the system or just the pipes to the stove?

How do you check your propane system for leaks?

I have half-a-dozen horizontal tanks from Toyota Chinooks and Chevy Chinooks. All look like this and still available new. The new ones don't come with the nice gauge though. Horizontal tanks are exempt from the new valve requirements. This tank is from a 77 Chinook and it still has the 1977 inspect date on it (the only date).

almost any propane tank service/refill center can take your existing tank and bead blast, powdercoat and put in a new valve and fuel gauge for around 200 dollars. for 80 bucks they can remove the valve - chase the threads and install a new one. money well spent ..

in my opinion.. if you are going to take that tank out for any reason then do a complete overhaul before putting it back. its cheap insurance to never have a leak again