18 Ft Sunrader Camper Onto A 1St Gen Tacoma Chassis?

TacoRader

I'm considering putting an 18 ft Sunrader camper onto a 1st generation Tacoma, tentatively a 2000 extended cab 3.4 l. Currently the camper is on a 1980 Datsun chassis. This seems like a very desirable combo to me, but I have found no examples of anyone swapping a Sunrader to a Tacoma chassis before. Aside from the aesthetics of sticking with original equipment, are there basic engineering issues that make this swap unfeasible or undesirable? I understand I will need to extend the frame and build a more-or-less custom full floating rear axle and rear suspension. Thanks for sharing any relevant experience!

mock-up in gold.pdf

I can't post pics from Yahoo groups here but here's a link to a Sunrader mounted on a newer 4x4 truck. You might have to join this group to see the pics. This is a full album and not all the pics are the Sunrader. He did have to extend the frame. major work but very nice results

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/toyota-campers/search/photos?query=fsprandy#zax/albums_1936995128

Linda S

With my way of reasoning - a 2000 Tacoma is a poor choice. It is a North-American-only "play truck" and not as rugged as the USA trucks made from 1986-1995. The only North-American Toyota truck made newer then 1995 with the older, more rugged frame is something like a 1998 T100. A 2000 Tacoma 4WD extended-cab truck is less then a 3/4 ton truck.

It would be less stress on the frame if you used a standard-cab truck but I can't say how much it matters. At least a standard cab truck requires very little stretching. In fact, I know a few standard cab Chevy S10s and Ford Rangers are a perfect fit with no stretching. I've wanted to do such a swap onto a Chevy S10 with a 2.2 four-cylinder engine but I'm looking for a rig with good gas mileage. Not going to get that with a V6, 4WD Toyota.

No need for a custom build rear. You can use a Toyota full-floater, or just stick with what you have. Over-seas where the the Toyota trucks are still sold as the "Hilux" work vehicle - they rate them with the same single-tire semi-floater rear with over a 6000 lbs. GVWR. The Tacomas in the USA are considered "play trucks" and rated lower even though the rear-end parts are exactly the same.

In the rest of the world - other then North America - Toyota trucks are still sold to be rugged and the overseas Hilux uses the same frames as the North American trucks sold 1986-1995 not including the later T100. One of those would be my choice for a custom-built rig. I think with the later wimped-out trucks, the Tundra extra-cab 4WD is the only rated for 3/4 ton.

I assume this is the reason why Toyota no longer sells a HD cab & chassis in North America but still do in the rest of the world.

Thanks for the pictures Linda S. I don't intend to rebuild from the frame up, but the end result is what I think I'm also looking for.

Ya Baby!, based on a brief initial look, I thought that using a frame that is wider than the original Sunrader (e.g., T100, S10) would get complicated because it appears that various storage tanks drop down into a limited space between the chassis frame and sidewall of the camper. Also, I was figuring with the fiberglass construction of the Sunrader there would be relatively less weight stress on the chassis (compared to non-fiberglass campers).

Thanks for the pictures Linda S. I don't intend to rebuild from the frame up, but the end result is what I think I'm also looking for.

Ya Baby!, based on a brief initial look, I thought that using a frame that is wider than the original Sunrader (e.g., T100, S10) would get complicated because it appears that various storage tanks drop down into a limited space between the chassis frame and sidewall of the camper. Also, I was figuring with the fiberglass construction of the Sunrader there would be relatively less weight stress on the chassis (compared to non-fiberglass campers).

There is nothing "light" about fiberglass construction. That is why the lightest boats are often made from wood, not fiberglass. Also why a steel bodied Camaro weighs 300 lbs. less then a fiberglass bodied Corvette and the Camaro even has a back seat. Subsequently, on average, I doubt there is any weight savings with a Sunrader body versus something made from wood & aluminum like a Dolphin or Winnebago. I know somebody that had their 21 foot Sunrader weighed recently. Emtpy - i.e. no passengers or cargo and it weighed 5820 lbs. That's with rooftop AC and an on-board generator. A 21 foot Dolphin or Winnebago weighs around the same or maybe less.

I don't know what lines up as far as a 80s Sunrader coach on your truck. It was designed to fit a frame-series made only up to 1995. A 2000 Tacoma frame is a total new design sold in North America only.

Linda, how many inches did you need to extend your Tacoma frame? What rear axle assembly did you use? Is there anything you would have done differently with the build if you knew then what you know now?

That is not my Sunrader unfortunately. It was built by the brother of a former Yahoo Toyota group member. You can see from the pics why I never forgot it. Damn nice.

Linda S

The man who built that nice rig is Monty Phinney and he works as a mechanic in Adams New York. Maybe you can track him down. Found some old posts where his brother posted his name. Also found this recommendation for his mechanical work on the yahoo site.

Can't hurt to try and call. Pictures are dated 7 years ago so don't know if number is current

Monty Phinney / 315-405-5198

Linda S

With my way of reasoning - a 2000 Tacoma is a poor choice. It is a North-American-only "play truck" and not as rugged as the USA trucks made from 1986-1995. The only North-American Toyota truck made newer then 1995 with the older, more rugged frame is something like a 1998 T100. A 2000 Tacoma 4WD extended-cab truck is less then a 3/4 ton truck.

It would be less stress on the frame if you used a standard-cab truck but I can't say how much it matters. At least a standard cab truck requires very little stretching. In fact, I know a few standard cab Chevy S10s and Ford Rangers are a perfect fit with no stretching. I've wanted to do such a swap onto a Chevy S10 with a 2.2 four-cylinder engine but I'm looking for a rig with good gas mileage. Not going to get that with a V6, 4WD Toyota.

No need for a custom build rear. You can use a Toyota full-floater, or just stick with what you have. Over-seas where the the Toyota trucks are still sold as the "Hilux" work vehicle - they rate them with the same single-tire semi-floater rear with over a 6000 lbs. GVWR. The Tacomas in the USA are considered "play trucks" and rated lower even though the rear-end parts are exactly the same.

In the rest of the world - other then North America - Toyota trucks are still sold to be rugged and the overseas Hilux uses the same frames as the North American trucks sold 1986-1995 not including the later T100. One of those would be my choice for a custom-built rig. I think with the later wimped-out trucks, the Tundra extra-cab 4WD is the only rated for 3/4 ton.

I assume this is the reason why Toyota no longer sells a HD cab & chassis in North America but still do in the rest of the world.

Play truck? Why is it the best selling small truck? How come I never sold one with less than 250,000 miles on it? How come they come out of the woods when the US trucks are still stuck there? How come I average 20 MPG with a 4 liter Tacoma 4x4 with a tow capacity of 6,500 (GVRW by the way is 5500#) IMHO the S10 was one of the worst trucks ever made it's not for nothing they quit making them and the Ranger too both were 1/2 ton trucks that could not compete with the Tacoma's.

Top Gear did a comparison of full sized American made trucks by making them drive off road to a glacier in Alaska somewhere. Only the Chevy made it. You can only see it one time but the crew was following in a 4Runner. No problems mentioned about crew truck. So who really won the test

Linda S

Thanks for the contact info Linda. I plan to put some feelers out on other Toyota forums when I have some time. It looks like I might have opened some old wounds here. I'll just say that for my intended use - running up and down the length of California on interstates as well as accessing hunting and fishing spots on slushy or muddy forest roads - I'm willing to sacrifice some heavy duty ruggedness for the comforts and conveniences of a Tacoma. I'm incredibly happy with my 2001 4Runner, but I'm ready to bring a shower and toilet along.

I think that whether you like the term "play truck" or not, it's true that they aren't what they used to be. I just put air bags on the rear axle of my 98 Tacoma today, and was really surprised at the frame. Instead of being a full box like all my other Toyotas, it's just solid on the outside, with a top and bottom, but completely open on the inside. Not a full tube. Seems much weaker than the full frames of all the older Toyotas I'm used to.

Not sure how much it'll matter in the scheme of things, but it can't be nearly as strong as a full frame.

I saw a pop top Chinook on a Chevy S10, the newer ones that look a lot more like the first generation of Tacomas. It looked really good.

Not sure of how all the dimensions work out with a Tacoma but one thing is for sure: if you want to do it badly enough and have the skills and money, you can make it happen.

Thanks for the contact info Linda. I plan to put some feelers out on other Toyota forums when I have some time. It looks like I might have opened some old wounds here.

I don't know for sure who you are referring to with the "old wounds" comment. I have no emotional connection, either way, to any Toyota. I cited easily verifiable facts. You asked for opinions. I gave mine based on those facts. The main point is . . the older North American frames and the present "rest of the world" Toyota Hilux frames - are stronger then the newer Tacomas. Toyota certainly agrees. It doesn't mean you cannot do whatever you want with anything if you want to. If I was starting from scratch with such a project - I'd want to use the best base-material as possible for whatever use I was shooting for. If my target was a 4WD Toyota RV - I certainly would not pick an extended-cab, late model, 4WD Tacoma. Can it be made to work? I'm sure it can.

This the Holy Grail for Sunraders. Even with all the bandwidth expended, as near as I can see it's been done 2x. The one Linda posted with a frame stretch and the sawzall one on this site. It was a Extended cab that was removed and a single cab installed on the long frame. The Sunrader was cut to fit the WB.

Go for it and be #3, but remember the weight.

Some where in the Toyota MH WWW there is someone has installed a GM 14 bolt FF rear axle with a single 16" tire.

This the Holy Grail for Sunraders. Even with all the bandwidth expended, as near as I can see its been done 2x. The one Linda posted with a frame stretch and the sawzall one on this site. It was a Extended cab that was removed and a single cab installed on the long frame. The Sunrader was cut to fit the WB.

Go for it and be #3, but remember the weight.

Some where in the Toyota MH WWW there is someone has installed a GM 14 bolt FF rear axle with a single 16" tire.

That was me.

And they were 15" tires.

Buildings, bridges etc are built with "I" not box beams beams most of the newer Tacoma's frame except for the middle is a boxed in frame any way how about Toyota's "certainly agrees" I have not seen that any where. We don't get a Hilux here it is a mote point other wise I would be riding in a Hilux diesel. The standard bed Tacoma frame is too short for a MH and would require welding so much for a strong frame.

how about Toyota's "certainly agrees" I have not seen that any where.

Box-beams would be hard to inspect and hard to rust-proof after welding on them. Toyota USED to sell Toyota trucks in North America for commercial - heavy duty use. They stopped after changing to the new Tacoma frame. They STILL sell commercial duty trucks all over the rest of the world using the older frames like we have on our Toyota RVs. So, yes - it is a fact that Toyota will not sell a truck in North America for commercial duty on the newer Tacoma frame. Also FACT that Toyota does sell trucks for commercial duty in the rest of the world with the older frames.

So why do you suppose Toyota is willing to sell the older frame for commercial duty in the entire world and the new Tacoma frame for commercial duty nowhere? Because Toyota thinks anyone in North America is stupid and not to be trusted using their trucks hard? Or perhaps, from past experience, they trust the old frame for such use and not the new?

how about Toyota's "certainly agrees" I have not seen that any where.

One might wonder this. Not only did Toyota stop selling commercial cab & chassis trucks after the Tacoma frame change - they also stopped selling 1 ton mini-trucks in the US. The 2016 single-cab Hilux in Australia has a payload of 2728 lbs. The highest rated Tacoma in North America has a 1620 lb. payload. Even the highest rated Tundra in North America is only rated at 2060 lbs. and it is not a "mini-truck."

Somebody recently asked Toyota's chief Tacoma and Tundra engineer this question:

Ford has a “One Ford” strategy to sell one product globally, but Toyota keeps the Hilux and Tacoma pickup trucks separate. Why?

His reply?? The Toyota Hilux doesn’t fit the [U.S.] customer’s image of what a Toyota truck should look like. It’s a world truck, designed for countries outside North America. It’s a great truck, it’s a very durable truck, but it doesn’t have all the creature comforts of the Tacoma. [The Hilux buyer is] a different customer, it’s different demographics, and it’s a different product. We [the Tacoma] have a little bit more compliancy in our frame compared to a Hilux. That’s mainly to satisfy the ride requirements for the North American customer. This is a lifestyle truck. It’s really the image for the customer that’s selling the truck.

From a Toyota Website overseas . .

Hilux as world wide truck

Maybe Tacoma is the No1 sales truck in USA, but Toyota should follow some leads from Hilux. First step is to make Tacoma a world wide truck. We can see Hilux all over the world – in Thailand as ferry; in Panama making it’s way through jungle roads; in Libya as military vehicle. That is all ad for Hilux, and in many lights. Tacoma is “fun” truck, and Tundra is made for work.

From Expedition Portal (author unknown):

The best summation to the differences that I have seen was this:

The Tacoma is made for nice places like the US, where it needs to drive and ride nice. IT sometimes gets tough jobs like carrying Mtn Bikes or wet dogs. When it gets banged up, its sent to a body shop and the bad stuff is unbolted and replaced.

The Hilux is made for everywhere else in the world. Its born into the working class. Its destined to haul anything under a ton over, around and through just about any place. The trade-off is that its rougher around the edges- doesn't ride and handle as nice. When it gets banged up, in many places its just hammered until straight again.

post-6578-0-14939400-1451431843_thumb.jp

Yep the American public want's a soft ride AC etc no doubt about it 3 leaf spring in the US 4 leaf spring pack in Canada. The Hilux does not meet US standards for safety or emissions Toyota is right for not making them do so they sell only what the public wants.The Tacoma still is a world class truck an Americanized one but still useful world wide it is tough as nails and lasts for a very long time with out issues including a lot of off road that is why they sell I can't site the demographics but most users are younger and believe me they put them to the test. The Tacoma frame is US built most of the truck is US built with US parts what's not to like about that? I have driven Hilux trucks in several countries they are a fine trucks but WE DON'T HAVE THEM! It does not matter how good they are ya can't put one under a MH body if you can't import them so you are kind of stuck with a Tacoma and trust me it will do the job.

It does not matter how good they are ya can't put one under a MH body if you can't import them

Yes true if someone wants a newer pickup truck. My point was in the context of this post. I.e. building a custom rig with a used Toyota to haul the weight of an RV. We have plenty of "Hilux" trucks in the USA. Just have to pick one from the 80s or early 90s. If I was starting a project and wanted a Toyota as a base - that's what I'd pick.

Only thing I'll say, as a 98 Tacoma owner, about how "great" it is that the frames were built in the good ole US of A, is that from the first year they were built in the USA, I think 95 or 96, all the way through 2005, there are frame recalls. Frames rotting and snapping in half. Trucks in otherwise perfect condition, bought back by Toyota and sent to the crusher because of crumbling frames. I think 96-2000 they buy your truck back and crush it. 2001-2005 they replace the entire frame and any rotted suspension components and give you back your truck. Serious quality and toughness... :) Right.

My truck has been in the west all its life and is "fine", but the frame is rustier than any other Toyota I've owned, and it's years and years newer than any other Toyota I've owned. I have to be very careful to keep it well washed in the winter, and will probably start using some kind of oil undercoating to make sure it doesn't take off.

I don't necessarily prefer Canada or Mexico over the US to make my Toyota, but I'd sure be happier if mine had still been built in Japan.

Back in 1969 when I got sent to my first "small engine" service school, I had a rude awakening. This was put on by Briggs & Stratton, Kohler, Clinton (newly taken over), Onan, Wisconsin, and Tecumseh/Power-Products. We were shown two separate versions of engines. Those for the North American market and those for the rest of the world. For "the rest of the world" - all engines had to be rebuildable. No "all aluminum" engines like many were in the USA market. I asked why and was told by reps that only people in the USA will accept "throw-away" products. So with many - those sold here had an all aluminum piston bore. When sold in the rest of the world - a cast-iron liner was added. Kind of disappointing. Then sometime very early 70s - an engine shop I was working in in the New York City area got a visit from reps from Honda Motors. Why? They were looking at the competition and coming up with new small engines to compete. At that time - the biggest self-propelled prof. mowers we sold used one of two engines. Either a vertical 10 horse Briggs & Stratton that was all aluminum and had a life-span of one summer season before it was thrown away. That on Bobcat mowers. Or - on Bunton mowers - a vertical cast-iron 10 horse Tecumseh which oddly - did not last any longer then the Briggs. Mostly due to severe ignition timing problems that could not be adjusted. Most to these Honda guys did not speak English (as far as I could tell) but seemed amazed at how crude our shop and engines were. Not long after - Honda came out with a 10 horse, vertical replacement engine for the Briggs and Tecumseh. It cost less and we later found out was lasting four seasons before a first rebuild. Note - it not only lasted four times as long - it could be rebuilt. Kind of amazing at the time. That was the beginning of the end for American small engines. Kawasaki and Subaru followed. Wisconsin motors started using Japanese made Subaru engines instead of their own and calling them Wisconsin-Robins. Tecumseh went bankrupt. So did what was left of Clinton. Kohler mananged to hang on and made their engines better. Onan pretty much went belly up. And Briggs started pushing their foreign-designed Vanguard series. Now - I don't know who makes what. I DO know this. I can buy a brand new Chinese engine from Harbor Freight for $100 and it has a cast-iron cylinder-liner, overhead valves, etc. and is MUCH more durable then any of those older American engines. Kind of a shame.

I don't see the Hilux versus Tacoma thing as much different. Tacomas are for Americans and seem to be fine for what most people buy them for. Not a great choice for something meant for full time abuse and heavy commerical work like the Hilux is meant for. I wonder how many terrorists have their big guns mounted on Tacomas instead of Hilux trucks? Of course if they steal them - maybe they don't care about longevity.

That was me.

And they were 15" tires.

OK 15", but the next telling of the tale they will grow to 17" :clown2:

What we get for vehicles in this country is nearly infinitely complicated by our many laws, standards and tax regulations. It is a business that is about as complicated to be in as any. Cafe standards sets up fuel mileage averages and penalties. NHTSA crash standards requires crumple zones. This mandates that the frame have some give. Air quality laws and emission limits force manufacturers to shed weight. With light trucks you also have the chicken tax of 25% which makes imported trucks completely nonviable. Yes the suspensions are tuned for our types of roads and manufacturers tailor to our sense of comfort and style. Still what we get in the market place goes far beyond that.

One automotive example recently was the Ford Escort replacement the Focus. Ford went with the initial North American platform to satisfy the unions rather than make the euro Focus compliant to our standards. It was stated that to just get the bumpers to be US compliant, the looks would have to be altered to an extent that it would no longer have the sleek look it had. The Euro version looked and performed far better and like many of the Euro models, had options we would never see here. The Euro focus was the same platform as the Volvo. You could even get the hard top convertible there. We got the hatch and sedan in a really fugly car.

Trucks are an especially important market here in the US. It is the arguably the most important and most American of vehicles. In 2014 the top selling vehicle was the F150 despite fuel prices and sales slumps. This market is so important to manufacturers that Dodge blocked the release of the Jeep Gladiator as they didn't want it to compete with its truck sales. When Fiat took over Machionne announced Jeep would eventually come out with a pickup platform. You will note that still has not happened despite high market interest. He must have found out that messing with that market is like touching the third rail in the auto world.

After having two Toyota FJ40's (talk about built solid) I went out and ordered a new Jeep Wrangler when it was announced they were updating the suspension to coil rather than leaf springs. Many said it was the end of the Jeep legacy and that the platform was ruined. There was nothing the Jeep couldn't keep up with my FJ's except it was way more comfortable to drive. The Landcruisers beat the hell out of you on and off road.

While the US Tacoma (please note I had two) might not be as heavy as the HiLux (had a 73), the reasons for that are fairly complex. Just looking to expand the conversation out a bit further than what gauge of steel is used in the frame.

While the US Tacoma (please note I had two) might not be as heavy as the HiLux (had a 73), the reasons for that are fairly complex. Just looking to expand the conversation out a bit further than what gauge of steel is used in the frame.

The gauge, carbon content, or box versus open design of a frame - may or may not be important to all. It would be to me if I wanted to cut it, add some metal, weld it back together, and make it longer. My main point with all of this is pretty simple. Toyota will not sell any of their North American trucks anymore with high GVWRs and/or for commercial use. In all the rest of the world they still do. Those trucks that ARE sold that way in anywhere but North America have differences - and the main difference is the frame design. When our Toyota motorhomes were built - that was a time when Toyota DID sell commercial trucks in the USA. Not only that - they also sold a basic mini-pickup with a full 1 ton payload rating. One has to wonder why even Toyota's biggest North American truck - the Tundra - cannot come close to the GVWR of a smaller Hilux in other parts of the world.

The gauge, carbon content, or box versus open design of a frame - may or may not be important to all. It would be to me if I wanted to cut it, add some metal, weld it back together, and make it longer. My main point with all of this is pretty simple. Toyota will not sell any of their North American trucks anymore with high GVWRs and/or for commercial use. In all the rest of the world they still do. Those trucks that ARE sold that way in anywhere but North America have differences - and the main difference is the frame design. When our Toyota motorhomes were built - that was a time when Toyota DID sell commercial trucks in the USA. Not only that - they also sold a basic mini-pickup with a full 1 ton payload rating. One has to wonder why even Toyota's biggest North American truck - the Tundra - cannot come close to the GVWR of a smaller Hilux in other parts of the world.

I get all of that and in context, it all makes perfect sense. I try to add to the discussions when and where I can and often take a broader view. Our market is hostile to foreign manufacturers when it comes to light trucks. There has been some discussions with removing the 25% tariff on imported light trucks in current trade negotiations. It could be a game changer. Otherwise Toyota would have to build it all here. Both the tariff or start up costs to get into the light commercial vehicle market is too steep to be competitive. Look at what Ford has had to do with the Transit Connect. It ships them over here with rear seats then removes them once here just to avoid the tariffs. It is all crazy.

Fascinating discussion, gentlemen. Thank you for expanding on the differences in Toyota truck frames. It's curious that the frame under my 2001 4Runner appears to be boxed from bumper to bumper. I'll admit, I am partial to the styling of the Tacoma. You are right that with enough money you can make anything happen. But given my available funds, and lack of expert metal-working skills, I'm looking for a mostly bolt-on options. I will have to pay an expert to extend, and possibly box-in, the frame. There is at least one company that does RV frame modifications here in southern California (http://www.ocrvpaintandservice.com/). Given the potential liabilities, I can't imagine many reputable shops would want to do in such work. Ditto with custom building rear axles.

• 2 years later...
On 12/28/2015 at 10:23 AM, zero said:

When you say 'stretching' ... is that the idea of moving the rear wheel well to accommodate a longer wheelbase/frame?

wasn't the 2000 Tacoma the truck made from rusty frame steel that was so bad they were forced to buy them back from customers because they were breaking in half empty?

33 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

I believe 'stretching' in this case is cutting the frame and lengthening the wheelbase.

I'm brand new to all this but do you think it would be possible to stretch the RV cabin, possibly moving the wheel wells back to accommodate a larger more able-bodied 4x4 - I'm thinking a marriage of the Earthroamers Ford F550 (or similar) to the Sunrader's cabin... thoughts?

1 hour ago, Derek up North said:

cool looks like in 2000 the frame was not American made or were at that time properly rust proofed. Only reason i remembered about that was that knew a guy that got his truck bought back and this was after he beat the crap out of it and couldnt even sell it on ebay for $500; next thing he knew he got a check in the mail for the blue book. I think his was an 05 now that I think about it. he was LOVING it! and had OOOOOhhh what a FEELING!

Edited by Totem