El Bandito Gets A Pardon And Tries To Function In Society

payaso del mar

OK, cue the theme from "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" or similar spaghetti western........

this will be the (re)build thread for the 1985 Bonanza Travelers Bandit that followed me home recently. it was so sad, I just couldn't take it to the Humane society cuz it probably would have been euthanized. this sucker is rare; they're not even listed in the "manufacturers" section of TMH.com, altho there are pix of one that's been either converted to 4WD or grafted onto a 4WD chassis. I ran Searchtempest and didn't find another for sale anywhere in the US. and the only one I've ever seen that was as small was the 70s Chinook popup. even that has a lot more frontal area, and I wasn't interested in getting into a 40 yr old carbureted vehicle. so this seemed like my best starting point to build a poor man's pocket Earthroamer. In case you don't know what one of those is: http://earthroamer.com/

first, a note. taking the Greydog with a duffel bag full of tools to a small town in AZ is NOT the recommended way to buy a 30 yr old motor home in the next state over. it was TGVG weekend and I couldn't line up a codriver to bring the Tacoma home. when it turned out to be in waaay worse condition than the CL advt, I could either wait for the next Greydog east or buy it. so I did. if i'd had a jack and stands, I might have passed on it once I saw the rust underneath and the wasted undercarriage. what sold me was the micro size and the fiberglass shell.....and one piece roof so less of that "soaked and rotted" syndrome. I once watched a typical-RV-construction unit (ie, aluminum sheeting over 2x2s or some such) in a fenderbender sort of explode after it tipped over--the guy's entire life became spread out over the road in <5 seconds. cuidado about riding in the back. fiberglass has the advantage that it absorbs energy as it collapses; one reason Vettes and old Loti did surprisingly well in crashes.

anyway, I spent most of yesterday yanking off the steering, front brakes and part of front suspension. given the rust and the tendency of the torsion bar nuts to freeze in place, I suspect that part of the job will be a real party. after reading up on torsion bars, I might replace em with SwayAway or other aftermkt ones since I may have to raise it slightly for tire clearance.

midnight found me in the shower, washing and wet sanding the 15" Taco takeoff steelies I bought in prep for painting em black......(are we getting the idea yet that this guy is maybe a bit unhinged.....?) (are we getting the idea yet that his wife is Unimaginably Tolerant?). But unlike the Jeep wheels I also considered (same bolt circle and center bore is only 3mm larger), the offset on these places the weight way more inboard, so as not to exacerbate the axle flew (meant to say flex, but my keyboard inserted that Freudian slip....) issue. i'm not willing to have different wheels for F and R, so for now i'm going to live with the '91 semi floater axle I bought for it.

FWIW, my Haynes still shows the semi floater being used on Tacos through 2004, and that's what i found inside my 2002 Taco 4WD when I did the bearings, 6 lug wheels and all....and surprise, replacing the rear wheel bearings has been about the only non-scheduled repair I've had to do in 216K on it. so i'll do the axle bearings and seals afore I install, watch my loading (i'm used to traveling in a 67 hp Westy, where travelin' light is the only way to fly) and keep my eyes open for a 4WD axle and front hubs.

OK, enough babble. trying to attach a "before" pic of the beast:

post-8526-0-03053400-1449701613_thumb.jp

Again in English....

Happy for your purchase.

You got the 5 lug axle, but I'm sure your weight is under the limit for "axle snap".

Welcome to our forum.

Yeah your definitely a hard read. But back to Bandit's. They are kind of rare but we usually see at least 2 or 3 of them for sale per year. Sometimes more. They were also built on Chevy S10 chassis and I have seen 1 built on a Dodge D50 4x4 chassis. Company went out of business in 1990 but I have only seen 2 of them with the V6 engine. Those units came with the true full float axle and dually wheels. In fact any after your year would have had a full float. Came out in 86. I'm guessing yours came with fake duallys and someone in the past realized it was safer with single wheels in back. It is and it's plenty for your rig. No reason why you couldn't upgrade to 15 inch wheels. Not that you need it but it would look cool.

Linda S

this will be the (re)build thread for the 1985 Bonanza Travelers Bandit that followed me home recently.

I ran Searchtempest and didn't find another for sale anywhere in the US.

i'm not willing to have different wheels for F and R, so for now i'm going to live with the '91 semi floater axle I bought for it.

I've come across more Bandits for sale in my neck of the woods in the past two years then Chinooks. There were two this summer for sale in central New York. Also two in Massachusetts and three in Michigan. Some on Toyota chassis's and some on Chevy S10s. I read your post several times and still am trying to figure why you bought a replacement rear axle? By the way, the semi-floating rears are still used in Europe, Africa, Australia, etc. with over a 6000 GVWR and single rear tires and wheels.

post-6578-0-57546700-1449773455_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-33448400-1449773459_thumb.jp

sorry about the novel. I write for a living, so tend to be long-winded.

I definitely should have passed on this one, especially now that I learn that there are more of these out there if you wait. I also definitely should have spent a bunch of time on here before dropping any $ on one. oh well, marching onward. it's not so bad that it ain't worth saving, just a lot of work and $. i expect i'll have nearly doubled the $2800 purchase price in parts by the time i consider it safe and reliable enough.

Linda, pretty sure you're right about it originally coming with faux-duallies. but given the state of the rest of the vehicle, you might be being charitable to previous owners to assume they worried much about safety.

current cheap aftermarket wheels have a center bore that's about 1/2" bigger diameter than Toy hub, so the lugs are carrying the whole load.....figured I needed to replace wheels with something more hub-centric given the weight. but yeah, you're right, I like the look of the larger tires. and I want AT type tires, which are pretty scarce in 14". having my doubts about the wheels after a test fit....they have massive positive offset, almost like a FWD wheel, and I wonder about suspension clearance. I may go get a $10 used throwaway 225/75 mounted to check it. may need to sell em and get those Jeep wheels after all.

and a note to the regulars: THANK YOU for all the time you spend on here answering Qs from people you'll likely never meet, some of whom are painfully ignorant (looks in mirror....).

tip for those pressing old, rusted-in bushings out of upper control arms: buy a turnbuckle and cut the ends off (or two longish 3/8" bolts and a threaded sleeve) and insert in the middle of the "V" shaped control arm to keep it from collapsing when you heave on the press. i crushed mine slightly (narrowed the angle of the "V" shape) due to the force needed to budge the steel outer sleeve of bushing. was able to open it back up with a screw jack, but i suspect i may have to replace that control arm since the bushing bores need to be exactly in line. another $41 down the tubes..... :shit:

sorry about the novel. I write for a living, so tend to be long-winded.

current cheap aftermarket wheels have a center bore that's about 1/2" bigger diameter than Toy hub, so the lugs are carrying the whole load.....figured I needed to replace wheels with something more hub-centric given the weight. but yeah, you're right, I like the look of the larger tires. and I want AT type tires, which are pretty scarce in 14".

tip for those pressing old, rusted-in bushings out of upper control arms: buy a turnbuckle and cut the ends off (or two longish 3/8" bolts and a threaded sleeve) and insert in the middle of the "V" shaped control arm to keep it from collapsing when you heave on the press. i crushed mine slightly (narrowed the angle of the "V" shape) due to the force needed to budge the steel outer sleeve of bushing. was able to open it back up with a screw jack, but i suspect i may have to replace that control arm since the bushing bores need to be exactly in line. another $41 down the tubes..... :shit:

I figured you must do something for a living that has you writing. I do mechanical damage warranty claims on cars, motorhomes, motorcycles, personal watercraft... so need to write as well, and sometimes get a bit creative in describing a failure, plus years in the Navy, writing evals...

I am looking at the BFG ATs that are available in a 14" simply because of the cost of upgrading to a 15" six-lug wheel. I have to wonder how much load is really carried by the hub centric axle/hub/wheel? I'd think that as long as the studs are in good shape (ARP?), and the lugs are properly torqued...

Live and learn, right? I've made a few mistakes along the way, turning a wrench for almost 40 years, paying my dues - literally.

Welcome aboard (I'm a noob myself). I'm enjoying your write up/posts, and keep waiting for the next.

doubt they actually achieved 4000 total. those guys listened to that pop song about the chevy van too many times and were convinced they had their finger on Youth Culture........they weren't expecting punk rock

the pimp my motorhome job on the one is sort of reminiscent of that cheesy sort of "panel van" thing Ford made on a Pinto wagon in the late 70s. more ad execs who were convinced they had the Hot Thing....

(random observation to self: yeah. just wait. the nouveau retro 60s muscle cars will be succeeded by the nouveau 70s retro vans built on Siennae and the like.....gotta be some ad exec who will smell all that baby boomer $$$)

The Bandit was made for 14 years. If the total production was only 4000, that would be less then one per day made. I doubt they did that poorly but cannot prove it.

Through 1980 they also made 5th wheels, travel trailers and full sized park models. Starting in 1985 they also made a 19 foot van camper until the factory closed. The Bandit wasn't their only source of income. They didn't go out of business until 1990 but in the last 12 years I have only seen 2 V6 Bandits. An 89 and a 1990. They might have made more but couldn't have been many or we would have seen more of them.

Linda S

surprised they didn't do better saleswise. that 28 mpg line in the article got my attention.

of course, I realize that's his optimistic take, but it emphasizes why I bought this. the 2WD pickup for that year is EPA rated at 29 hwy, so his figure might not be too crazy. we'll see.....my 4WD Taco extracab (3RZ, 5 speed) has never seen better than 25 mpg and usually sits around 23. i'll be happy if the motorhome gets equal to or better than that.

I see around the same number of Chinooks as I do Bandits in local classified ads. Mostly on Chevy S10s. Actually more Bandits in my part of the mid-west and northeast. But - Chinooks were first sold only on the west coast and the southwest. Toyota Chinook was introduced in December of 1972 and for 1973 - it was only sold at Toyota dealers in Nevada, California, and Arizona. I have no idea when any dealers became available in the northeast. Bandits were sold all over. So I have no idea of how much of anything was actually made. Toyota sold 5000 Chinooks for the three years of 74, 75, and 76. In 78 they sold 6000. (no figures on 1977). Chinooks were sold until 1980. I think it is safe too say that well over 12,000 were sold in 8 years. Bandits were sold for 14 years. Seems 4000 total sales is a low estimate - but I have no proof of that.

Going by their own literature - Bonanza Traveler stopped making trailers by 1980 and made Bandits only 1981-1984. In 1985 they made and sold Bandits and Class Bs up through 1990. That's 14 years of making Bandits and four years of nothing but Bandits.

surprised they didn't do better saleswise. that 28 mpg line in the article got my attention.

of course, I realize that's his optimistic take, but it emphasizes why I bought this. the 2WD pickup for that year is EPA rated at 29 hwy, so his figure might not be too crazy. we'll see.....my 4WD Taco extracab (3RZ, 5 speed) has never seen better than 25 mpg and usually sits around 23. i'll be happy if the motorhome gets equal to or better than that.

Toyota Chinooks were also advertised at 29 MPG. Ford even advertised their full-size F250 truck with the 6.9 diesel at 29 MPG. 22 MPG is more like it with the Chinook @ 55-60 MPH. The Ford? I had two with 6.9 diesels and 15 MPG was about the best I ever got.

The Winnebago Lesharo and Phasar diesels were first advertised at getting well over 20 MPG. But then if you read the small print describing the actual testing - it was done with an empty RV @ 40 MPH on a flat highway.

And note - I'm talking about US gallons. Not "Imperial" or "UK" gallons. GM did some deceptive advertising years back by running high MPG claims in the US with trucks using Imperial gallons. They had a small asterix next to the claim that you could barely see.

I was mostly being facetious on the 4000 figure. I will say that these are something that I would have noticed and remembered, given my enthusiasm for Westys, and I've never seen one in the southwest, either on the road or on CL.

regardless, this should be about perfect for my solo MExico forays.....I go down to Sonora for a week or so at a time and fish til I drop. trolling at sunset with a caguama (liter of Carta Blanca) between my knees is just about paradise IMHO. I usually take the Taco but it's getting old having to cram all my gear into the camper shell, plus rods longer than 7' just don't fit. body shape of the Bandit doesn't offer any easy answers on where to tote the portabote, though......would appreciate any ideas anyone has.

I almost bought a Bandit twice -in New York state before I found my Chinook. Neither of the Bandits I looked at had any coach-heat and both were on S10 Chevys with V6 engines and automatic transmissions. I wanted something with a four-cylinder and stick shift. This summer there were two Toyota Bandits for sale in central New York. One cheap and one priced very high. Bandits are neat little rigs - and unlike the Chinooks you can have certain luxuries like power steering.

10 years ago I never heard of a Toyota Chinook either. Come to find out that girl I was almost engaged to - in the mid 70s - had one parked at her house and I guess I paid NO attention to it. Mid-70s I had other things on my mind, I guess. It was her parents and they got it new on the west coast (I think) and brought it back to New Jersey.

I had a 20R pickup that didn't get any where near 29 maybe 24 max. I had a 94 22RE 4X4 that on a good day got maybe 22 MPG. My 2011 4 liter does maybe 20MPG average. My Nova Star 22RE got about 13.5 at highway speeds in the slow lane. Never seen an ad for fuel mileage that match real life.

I had a 20R pickup that didn't get any where near 29 maybe 24 max. I had a 94 22RE 4X4 that on a good day got maybe 22 MPG. My 2011 4 liter does maybe 20MPG average. My Nova Star 22RE got about 13.5 at highway speeds in the slow lane. Never seen an ad for fuel mileage that match real life.

I had a bare-bones 1985 Toyota pickup. Manual steering, four speed trans and 22R engine (carbed, not EFI). Got 28-29 MPG many times with it on highway trips. One of the most amazing trucks I ever owned.

On the subject of fuel mileage claims - I find the EPA estimates to be pretty much dead-on with anything I've owned or driven. EPA rated my 1985 2WD @ 29 MPG highway and that's what I got many times. EPA shows your 1994 4WD @ 20 MPG which also sounds in sync with what you reported.

I wish the EPA had done testing on bigger trucks and/or motorhomes. It could of dispelled many myths.

The newer EPA posting seem to be pretty close but it seems like the MPG kind of takes a huge jump when what ever it is,is up for sale!

what, sellers inflate claims? like the guy who sold me this one claiming "well maintained chassis"? say it isn't so!

I actually find that my wife and I can consistently beat EPA #s by a few, on every one of our vehicles. so I think their #s are probably pretty accurate for the avg driver.

Thursday will be the Bandit's debut.....my wife will see it for the 1st time. hope I have the interior looking good enough.....if she sees the same potential I do, my Errors of Judgment in buying the dern thing will be forgiven. :clown2: it cleaned up pretty nicely inside....painted the walls a warm tone off white, redid all the varnish on woodwork, and replaced the crappy metal fridge face (rusty bad fake woodgrain, i'll no doubt miss it...) with Reflectix backed birch veneer.

I also replaced the LED bulbs from Camping World with some very stout ones from Superbright LEDs, and the interior is lit up pretty nicely now....the CW bulbs worked well enough but were no brighter than the incandescent 1156s they replaced.

I think it is more then just someone inflating figures. I cannot think of any other auto-related statistic that has so much BS attached as fuel mileage claims. Yeah - some people are just full of it. Some have no idea how to even calculate fuel mileage. Others might have one tank-fill-anomaly out of 100 fills that shows 25 MPG instead of the regular 16 MPG. Then forever on - they say their "best" is 25 MPG.

I know many people that are trust worthy with most things. But ask about fuel mileage - and all sanity goes out the window.

Even my dad. He had a 1969 Buick Skylark with a 350 Buick V8. He bragged about it for years and how it always got over 20 MPG (a big deal in the 70s). Well , he died and I inherited it. I started commuting to work and quickly found out that it got 12-13 MPG. Was my dad a liar? No. The problem was - that Buick had a huge gas tank. And he lived in the NJ suburbs where he never drove more then 2 miles at a time. So he'd fill the tank and seemingly drive forever before the gas-gauge needle moved. So he just "felt" it was great on gas.

People with Toyota RVs - at least in the past - have been as much or more guilty then others. I've been hearing for many years about these things getting over 20 MPG. Logically it never made sense to me. But I heard it so much - I figured there had to be a shred of truth in there. Just last year there was a well known, sort of self-proclaimed Sunrader expert on another forum that stated his 21 footer - after he "tuned it properly" gets 22-23 MPG at highway speeds in his area of California. All I can say is - that must be ONE heck of a tune-up.

Note I'm talking about the "full-size" Toyotas with high rooves and 20-21 feet of length. Not the little ones like Bandits, Sandtanas, Chinooks, etc.

since our lows will be around 20, there's no stereo in it yet, and i'm still not 100% sure her more sensitive nose won't pick up the odor of cat, I may have the flowers and bevgs waiting inside the HOUSE....

dang it. we're hopefully heading south to Sonora this weekend for a week of fishing, eating and drinking, actual sunshine, bougainvilleas, and for my wife, diving (i'm a wimp about cold water; she'll go snorkeling with the sea lions on New Year's Day), and we're stuck taking the Taco. not that it's bad traveling digs, and we're planning on motel-ing it rather than camping, but I REALLY wish I could have el Bandito ready. not gonna happen, even if I took the rest of week off work and worked on it 24/7.

lows right now are in mid 50s and highs in 70s, so it would be perfect camping weather, and they're catching marlin within a mile of the coast right now. guess I still need to figure out how to hang the portabote on the Bandit; i'll have to engineer something since it's too tall to put the 'bote up top, and the regular RV mount that PB sells won't work with the curvature of the body. I may take the liberty of posting some pix if I get any good ones, since I reckon everyone might enjoy a break from grey winter vistas. if I get any decent fish, i'll definitely post pix of those.

plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.......

funny how much reading this forum reminds me of Wesfalia forums.....aging underpowered slow vehicles With Frequent Issues, creative fixes for chronic issues, owners who love em and frequently have several (I passed a dormant one last night on way home and briefly found myself thinking about looking into it....beware, my son, for that way madness and a divorce lies.....), trip reports that are often as much about repairs or the absence thereof as about the destination, etc etc etc......and GREAT PEOPLE who are happy to help others in the same "predicament"!

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations pyasodelmar on acquiring and saving a Bandit. I had a much-loved 1977 Bandit that I sold a few years ago. Also thanks to all who have posted interesting information about the Bandit---that was more information than I was able to locate about the Bandit and I enjoyed the trip down memory lane. Since selling the Bandit, I have kept in touch with the new owner and am happy to report that the Bandit has now made its third trip from San Juan Islands, Washington to the southern part of Baha, CA. Wally, the new owner, says it is starting to show its age... rusting a bit and needing more maintenance, but still going! What a great machine!! Here is the link to a picture of the Bandit in Baha https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Z_TU3kytZC1P_E-XqYhruKC7pCr1iZlP5p6Uczei_af5TmUwSu4UeJKK_6fnZ5f0rzWrpA=w1147-h717-no

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL and good traveling.

Sue, thanks for kind words and especially for that awesome pic....great motivational assistance! that is just about the sort of background I see for mine down the road....whether on the Baja or Sonora side of Sea of Cortez.

"saving" is the word....I expect to get another 100K out of it, or until I decide to graft the camper portion onto the 4WD Taco

i'm almost done with all the subassemblies and ready to start reassembling. anyone have any magic solution on how to get the lower control arm bushings into the frame? I actually bent the 5/8" threaded rod on the bushing puller getting the old ones out; got it straightened with the press but not looking forward to the install.

minor updates on the bandit (what, you weren't on the edges of your seats....??):

1. my wife liked it when she saw it. lots. so now I have a cheerleader on the resto work instead of a skeptic to convince. yay!

2. on our recent trip to Mexico, I was reminded how bad even their "good" (4 lane highway, roughly akin to US interstates) roads are. I've gone from kicking myself for buying something that needs major suspension rework to being thrilled i'll be driving something with all new suspension and brakes. and since we're going back for Prez-day week, I may even have it minimally ready, although this is a long shot.

3. the suspension IS going to start going back together this weekend. pix to follow for anyone else doing this job.

4. I was wrong on not being able to mount the portabote on the side.....did some test fits with a 12' long 2x4. i'll have to do some shimming for the front where the Bandit top curves inward, but the major issue will be sufficient reinforcement behind the fiberglass shell to carry the 87ish pounds of the hull. i may run tiedown straps up and over the roof and hook em into the roof latches on the other side, to help distribute the load. any input from others who have hung heavy loads on side of their fiberglass camper appreciated! again, will post pix when I start this work.

5. found that some previous owner ditched any water tankage and pump in favor of city-water-only system, which is why there's all that space under the sink. we need to re-add this since we boondock more than stay at campgrounds, so I ordered a small submersible pump (suspect this will go through water reserve slower than a Flojet/Shurflo pressure type pump) and will get two jerrycans this weekend. anyone have any input on the Shurflo electric (has a switch built in so it will operate a pump as well as with city water) faucets?

This is the smallest pump I could find... It flows 1.2 gpm, most RV pumps are 3+ gpm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-RV-Marine-12V-1-1-GPM-35-PSI-DEMAND-Fresh-Water-Diaphragm-Self-Priming-PUMP-/172015202996?hash=item280ce7b2b4:g:RYMAAOSwcBhWXM8W&vxp=mtr

If you can deal with 2 water systems, like you don't need a hot water flow, here is a manual system. It will really cut down on your water usage :clown2:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valterra-RP800-Chrome-Rocket-Hand-Pump-Faucet-/121544031460?hash=item1c4c96bce4:g:1pQAAOSw9r1V-0Sg&vxp=mtr

• 2 months later...

brief update: 

1.  thanks WME for that pump info.  yeah, the manual pump makes the water last but you also can't wash your hands very easily.  no hot water system on the Bandito.  I ended up ordering a pump that looks identical to one in a Westy from Amazon, about $15.  I noticed that the 7 gal Reliance water jug I bought is a lot thinner plastic than my older one and some reviews refer to it splitting, so I also got a real military-surplus water jug for a guaranteed reserve.  almost $50 but what's reliable water worth?  thinking about mounting it on a welded shelf on the front bumper to save space and for weight distribution.

2.  spent this last weekend rewiring the house electrics.  is it common for the manufacturers to mount a metal circuit breaker with exposed hot 12v terminals on the floor in shag carpet?  which occasionally gets saturated with water due to not-yet-located superstructure leak? :rolleyes:    so I moved it up onto the wheelwell and put it in an outlet box.  also mounted the battery combiner and routed the conduit for the 6 ga wire forward to alternator.  built a battery box and added the wiring for the 2d house battery. 

mounted the inverter and this morn, went to my local Ace Hdwe (300 yards from home....is this a blessing or a curse?) for 1/0 welding cable to wire in the inverter.  they didn't have cable cutters, so I got to help try to hack through the cable with a dull pair of dikes.  I think I coulda gnawed through it as fast......

Edited by payaso del mar

some pix

new faucet.....Shurflo electric....swivels in 4 different planes so you could use it for an emergency eyewash or Milady's bidet if needed.  mounted it on an exterior outlet box to raise it slightly, cover big errant countertop holes from IPO, and cuz shank on faucet isn't long enough to fit through counter top.  this freed up 2d hole for soap dispenser....seems like good idea any time I can get rid of something rolling or rattling around in favor of a built-in

P1010023.JPG

the revised wiring.  you gotta imagine the 2d battery for now.  ordering the Progressive Dynamics converter/fuse panel today (another outfit that, like Fan-Tastic fans, is American made, priced competitively, and seems to have much better reviews than their Chinese competitors....) to get rid of the annoying buzz and the heat production

P1010025.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎01‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 5:48 PM, payaso del mar said:

the suspension IS going to start going back together this weekend.

yeah, right.  I was only able to procrastinate on starting that job for 3 months.  much more fun to engineer improvements and electrical system than to install suspension bushings.....

here she is, legless and nekkid and sad.  next pic, soaping up the lower control arm bushing to lube the install....you can't use too much soapy water, and I make it maybe 3 parts water to 1 part detergent.

P1010029.JPG

P1010031.JPG