Check Up

WME

Todays high temp ....9

Todays gas .......2.07

34F

$1.87 in Baraboo, WI

36 degrees F here in northern Michigan at 5 PM. Today a gallon of reg. gas is $1.69 and a gallon of diesel is $2.46. Makes me not want to use my diesel truck for anything. I am in the process of ripping out the oil-furnace from our house and putting in an LP gas furnace. Why? No more heating oil. When I call for heating oil now - what I get is "off road", ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel for $2.29 a gallon. Not worth it anymore unless LP takes a big jump and diesel fuel does not. And here in Michigan - a new law was just passed and even more tax is going to be added to diesel fuel.

74° in Ft Myers. Sounds impressive but all summer it was too hot and humid to breath and now there are 150,000 Snow Bird cars all trying to get into the Walmart parking lot.

If it Snow Bird season why can't we shoot em?

Gas is $1.94 at the Murphy Express

74° in Ft Myers. Sounds impressive but all summer it was too hot and humid to breath and now there are 150,000 Snow Bird cars all trying to get into the Walmart parking lot.

46 and raining. I paid $2.09 this evening filling up the company van.

If I ever decide to join the flock, I'd kind of prefer not to be shot at. Got to really decide if I like FL first. I've flown down and worked there from time to time. Company has a couple offices in FL. I've also have taken vacations there but neither really give you a feel for what it would be like to spend months living there.

It seems that people who are happy and enjoy where they are, enjoy and are happy where they go. I have been fortunate to have lived a few places and if it were not for winter and mostly tax's I would go back to Buffalo NY in a heartbeat. The savings in tax's in FL is many thousands of $$$$ a year.

To stay on topic it's 75° the gas prices here are from $1.94 to $2.06. Prices go up as the Snow Birds arrive.

Jim

Aren't almost all of you on on the west coast of Florida former "snow birds?" I used to go to Punta Gorda quite a bit. A close friend who was a dairy farmer in central NY (near Cooperstown) for most of his life - moved to Punta Gorda. Mabye 30 years ago? It was kind of nice then and not too crowed. Now? Too busy for my tastes and meeting a native, born & bred Floridian there is pretty rare. He kept 100 acres in NY and he and his wife camp there every summer to escape the Florida heat. He is now - at over 80 years old - talking about leaving Punta Gorda because of the congestion and move to Tennessee. But it seems half the country has the same idea. You are the first ex-New Yorker I've ever "met" that misses Buffalo. But hey, to "each his own." I've been "invited" to the Canadian Consulate in Buffalo many times. That to be interviewed by a bunch of Canadians to see if they "deem me worthy" of entering their country. No thanks. I lived 40 years in central New York. Beautiful place and I miss what it once was. In the 70s it was heavy woods and dairy farms. Now? Just lots of people (down-staters) - almost no farms (except for a few Amish), and ungodly taxes and regulations. I don't like the northern Michigan cold in the winter - but I REALLY like being able to drive 50 miles with only one traffic light and no traffic.

The city of Buffalo is not what it used to be. But the area is fantastic. There is everything most people would ever want to do in the area. From snow skiing to water skiing to scuba diving. There professional sports, armature sports, professional theater, amateur theater, parks, recreation, educational activities, museums, ethnic restaurants. I could go on and on here. I have not been anywhere else that had all these activities that were as easily accessible. Of course they have traffic lights so you might not enjoy it as much as me ( :

Florida is not what it was just 15 years ago and I often look at other states, one of our friends just bought a place in Tennessee, Moving out is getting kinda common.

Jim

Yes, the problem is - when word gets around that a place is nice - people flood the place and then it loses those "nice"qualities. West coast of Florida was the big one maybe 30-40 years ago. Then 10-15 years ago it was North Carolina. Now it's Tennessee. I guess it's why I choose to live somewhere that few people flock too - yet is still beautiful. Just crappy weather for a large part of the year and NO employment unless you are a farmer or a logger. Northern Michigan got the rural areas on the "sunrise side", AKA our west coast, pretty much ruined as I see it by down-staters. But I am at the "tip of the mitt" where even the down-staters don't come to much except to hunt or fish. And I'm less then an hour's drive from some wilderness property I own in the upper peninsula. That is our new "wild place" that has taken the place of the Adirondacks when I lived in New York.

When I first moved to central New York in the 70s - I was in heaven. Absolutely beautiful. The mountains, lakes, hardwoods, etc. I never would of believed a place could change so much in 40 years - but it did. To the converse - here in northern Michigan - it is more empty now then it was a few years ago. Mostly it seems because of the "Dee-troit" auto industry not doing so well.This area used to be the "playground" for over-paid autoworkers. Not so much anymore. Much of this area was originally settled by New Yorkers who fled NY looking for cheaper land and less taxes. Even the big Mac Bridge connecting lower Michigan to the upper was built by New Yorkers.