Anyone Have A 1990's 3.0 Gas Tank To Part With?

vtchris

Just thought I would check. I need it for my 1994 Warrior. I've called many a salvage yard and no luck.

Where are you. Shipping used parts that contained gasoline can be a problem.

Also you have bought 2 after market tanks from a supplier that is so obscure that I barely could find out who they are. Maybe I still haven't, 1-800-radiator claims they don't make fuel tanks. I would suggest you buy a new tank from a well known manufacturer that has been in business a long time. This tank has a lifetime limited warranty and the company has been in business since 1918.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2425700&cc=1277995&jnid=470&jpid=3

Did anyone ever tell you where those other tanks came from?

Linda S

I see warranty info on the Rock Auto page but it's MAYBE unclear. I think when I looked on the Autozone(?) site, Dorman tanks were 1 year, Spectra 3 years. Worth confirming with Rock before ordering. :)

Also, perhaps, confirming where manufactured where manufactured (if important to you). AFAIK, Spectra is Canada. Dorman? USA? Mexico? Chindia?

I tried calling Rock Auto but they don't want to talk to me, at least that agent didn't, he said to do everything online. I'll try again. Rock Auto doesn't make them either. I have been told by my supplier that 1-800-radiator says they were both Spectra and the reason I only had a one year warrantee is because that is what the shop where I had it installed put on my invoice. So maybe the Dorman is the way to go. I know someone on the FB forum who also had 2 from Spectra fail, they are on their 3rd, installed Spring of '14 and so far still holding gas, but has only driven it 2600 miles very carefully. I have a mechanic (a known entity in Gainesville) who swears he can fix the one I have now by either soldering or epoxy bonding an aluminum plate over the bottom.

In the 60"s and 70"s when car's were rotting away in Western NY as a result of all the salt put on streets and junk Japanese steel. There was a mechanic known for soldering gas tanks.

I would have no problem having the tank on mine soldered if I knew a someone that would do it. But I am NOT getting under there with a torch! Jim SW FL

NOW my supplier (ABC Radiator) says that my first tank was a Silla and my second tank was a Liland (so what is true I don't know as they said one thing then another) and they got them from the 1-800-Radiator place. They are giving me a $538 reimbursement to make me go away and never come back. Covers the cost to me of the original tank plus labor on both tanks. I talked to Dorman (Rock Auto gives their tank a lifetime waranty) and they said it is made in Taiwan and there return rate is very low, although I asked for a specific number and didn't get it. I am going to try my mechanic's idea.....clean the bottom real good, put Marine Tex epoxy on the two spots that are seeping PLUS covering the bottom of the tank with an aluminum plate sealed with JB Weld. Whatevery you do NEVER ditch an old tank! I would of been much better off doing whatever it took to clean up my old one even tho it was really an awful rusty mess inside. They don't make them like they used to!!

What would your mechanic charge to install a tank, be it Dorman, Spectra or good used? Marine Tex or JB Weld I'd call a temporary solution, not a 'Fix'. :)

If they don't want your old leaking tank returned, lining/sealing it from the inside would be another option. Like:-

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Fuel-Tank-Sealer_p_64.html

Requires tank removal though.

I would go with the Dorman tank. Fixing the leaking one doesn't sound like a long term fix to me and I think by now you just want this all to be over. Great that your getting the refund. I bet lots of people who end up with those nasty tanks never do.

Linda S

• 1 month later...

Follow up. The Dorman tank from Rock Auto is ONLY for the 4WD and won't fit my rig according to sales person. I know another person who got the Spectra and 2 of them also leaked at the weld points. They are on their third one and so far it hasn't leaked, but they haven't driven it very far. Both my mechanic's patch jobs failed the very next day. On his dime he dropped and cleaned my tank, sent it out and had a patch soldered on and now, so far at least (4 hundred miles), it hasn't leaked. If or when it does I will try to find a used OEM tank and clean it up real good or get a Spectra. Those are my only two options left.

It does seem strange. The Dorman website also says they are for the 4x4's only but the 17 gallon tank is exactly the same size as the spectra tank for the 2wd models and the same size as the OEM fuel tank. Only difference between the 4x4 fuel tank and the 2wd tank is the 4x4 tank is 19 gallons and deeper than the 2wd. The 19 gallon tank could cause some clearance underneath on a 2wd model.

Linda S

Well I've been looking and apparently there are some differences. Here is the part number for your fuel tank and it looks like some Toyota suppliers might still have some in stock.

https://www.google.com/#q=toyota+part+number+77001-35980

Linda S

Hi Linda, The part number that I came up with (from a Toy Dealership) is a little different. 770013D936. Your part number says only for Toys thru 1991. Mine is a 1993 chasis. And yes, it can look like some dealerships still have it in stock, but when I call then I get that it really isn't. True, I haven't called everyone everywhere, but the dealership tells me their computers are linked and that there isn't one at any dealership. True, maybe there is one on a shelf somewhere, maybe at a parts dealer and not a Toy dealer. Right now the soldered fix is holding. Also, I have located a used one at a salvage yard in NC, but I would have to pick it up. Am actually considering that option on my way back from Florida LOL. Thanks for you help Linda!!http://toyotaparts.checkeredflag.com/p/Toyota__/Fuel-tank/52774780/770013D936.html

Hi Linda, The part number that I came up with (from a Toy Dealership) is a little different. 770013D936. Your part number says only for Toys thru 1991. Mine is a 1993 chasis. And yes, it can look like some dealerships still have it in stock, but when I call then I get that it really isn't. True, I haven't called everyone everywhere, but the dealership tells me their computers are linked and that there isn't one at any dealership. True, maybe there is one on a shelf somewhere, maybe at a parts dealer and not a Toy dealer. Right now the soldered fix is holding. Also, I have located a used one at a salvage yard in NC, but I would have to pick it up. Am actually considering that option on my way back from Florida LOL. Thanks for you help Linda!!http://toyotaparts.checkeredflag.com/p/Toyota__/Fuel-tank/52774780/770013D936.html

Yup I got your year wrong and they are different part numbers.

Linda S