84 Sunrader Led Taillight And Marker Light Project

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you get that great spare tire cover???

It was on the camper when i bought it so i'm not sure where the previous owners bought it. sorry

well, it's hard to test that parking lights aren't working right now since i have no idea how to wire the new LED lights properly. any wiring tips? all i have is the photo i attached..

Yes like Derek said, you need to get a multimeter so you can test which wires have power when you turn the switch to parking lights, push the brake pedal, turn the turn signal on etc. An extra person in the cab doing that for you while you are measuring which wires get power would be helpful. If you aren't getting power to a wire when you should be, then its more than likely a blown fuse or a broken wire somewhere down the line.

Tip #1:- Buy a multimeter.

agreed

• 2 weeks later...

Today i got rid of the stock carb and put on the popular weber 32/36. Removed the carb and all associated vacuum lines, egr, smog stuff etc. Really opens up the engine bay and doesn't look likes such a bowl of spaghetti. Won't be able to take it on a test drive for a few months yet, but it starts right up and idles nicely so i'm looking forward to it.

IMG_20160202_132036_024.jpg

egr block off plate i made out of aluminum

IMG_20160202_161049_582.jpg

carb on and only 2 vacuum lines to hook up

IMG_20160202_185441_197.jpg

What paint color did you use for vent covers? Looks like it matched well

Thanks

Yea i was very happy with the color match. It is Rustoleum Canvas White

I hated the hubcaps on the camper and aftermarket wheels don't exist for these so i decided to have the rims sandblasted and then i painted the gloss brown to match the side stripe, put on chrome trim rings and chrome lug nuts. I like this look much better.

IMG_20160205_163312_384.jpg

IMG_20160205_163303_504.jpg

IMG_20160205_163249_995.jpg

IMG_20160205_163326_707.jpg

Another nice improvement

Washed my toy with bar keepers now the Zep any suggests for the application? Thanks

wash it again with bar keepers friend to be sure it is as clean as you can get it, let it dry a day. I bought a sponge mop at the local hardware store and applied it with that. Keep a rag handy because sometimes it'll run and you need to wipe those up. And do as Derek said, multiple thin coats. I think i did 4 total.

I would love to see some interior pics. Your heater outlet is forward of mine. Way forward. Wondering where everything is set up inside. Is your furnace under your closet?

The black looks good. My bumper is starting to show some rust. I might do the black thing too

Linda S

On 2/7/2016 at 8:56 PM, linda s said:

I would love to see some interior pics. Your heater outlet is forward of mine. Way forward. Wondering where everything is set up inside. Is your furnace under your closet?

The black looks good. My bumper is starting to show some rust. I might do the black thing too

Linda S

yes the furnace is under the closet. I wonder how many variations of layouts they had for these?

sunrader%20004.jpg

sunrader%20001.jpg

sunrader%20003.jpgsunrader%20005.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Started back at it, cleaning it up a bit more. Pulling the windshield to clean up around the windshield frame and replace the trim with a black rubber molding instead i'm thinking.  I broke the windshield pulling it out (not a surprise) but have a new one coming. Gonna paint the wiper arms black again also.

20160406_163159.jpg

20160406_164433.jpg

oh my my oh hell yes Toyhome put on that party dress.........:sorcerer:

you're really inspiring the way you're fixing that thing up.  please post lots of pix that windshield work, as my IPO replaced the windshield but butchered the valance reinstall....held in with silicone....:angry:

On 4/7/2016 at 0:53 PM, payaso del mar said:

oh my my oh hell yes Toyhome put on that party dress.........:sorcerer:

you're really inspiring the way you're fixing that thing up.  please post lots of pix that windshield work, as my IPO replaced the windshield but butchered the valance reinstall....held in with silicone....:angry:

Thanks i'll be sure to take some more detailed pics. I ordered some touch up paint also.  There are a couple small spots of surface rust i need to clean up before the windshield goes back in.  Unfortunately the new windshield is 2-3 weeks out, my supplier was out of stock, so it is coming from Ohio.

• 2 weeks later...

Cleaned up a few of the surface rust areas and used touch up paint before installing the windshield.  I bought a 31mm universal windshield molding to take the place of the original metal trim.  I've used universal molding on quite a few vehicles and usually have good luck with it.  The top corners of the windshield are a tight radius so i did have to notch the molding so it wouldn't pull off the glass but i'm going to go back later after the windshield is installed and just use a little black touch up paint so you really won't be able to tell that the molding is cut.  Over all i was pleased with the molding.

20160419_131658.jpg

20160419_131712.jpg

20160419_132539.jpg

new windshield

20160420_153505.jpg

touched up

20160420_153650.jpg

20160420_153701.jpg

molding on

20160420_182126.jpg

notched corners to make the radius

20160420_182134.jpg

installed

20160421_160810.jpg

14 hours ago, payaso del mar said:

where did you get the molding?

Yes I got it on ebay. I ordered 75 feet of it so if you need some let me know and i'll sell you enough to do a windshield if you want.

14 hours ago, Derek up North said:

It's all over FleaBay.

wiper arms repainted and on and also i used the windshield urethane on the upper corners where i notched the molding to fill in the gap.  

20160422_105205.jpg

20160422_105215.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Next up the gf is making new curtains for the interior and we want to recover the padding for the seats.  Also whats everyones opinion on updating the interior/flooring and painting the walls/cabinets white? Would it be best to leave it original as possible or do you not think it would detract from the value of it?

Damn man- That Looks Really friggin nice!

I say it is best to choose an interior colour that is aesthetically pleasing to the both of you. My interior is white; The former wood-like panelling was claustrophobic. As for lost value for straying from original? You already crossed that bridge with the wheels. There comes a point when something looks so much better than new that the value goes up.

It's a house. Decorate it like you would a house. Not many people choose to paint the whole inside of their house white. Coordinating colors with fabric in subtle tones creates an expensive finished look. If in good shape, leaving some of the wood, like maybe just bottom cabinets, can add interest. There are online programs for home decorating where you can do mock-ups and see how you like it.

Linda

On 6/23/2016 at 9:47 PM, funkyninja23 said:

Damn man- That Looks Really friggin nice!

Thanks, lots of time put into it, but at least it didn't cost alot of money to do so!

On 6/24/2016 at 9:20 AM, Totem said:

I'd love to buy a custom fuel fill box cover off you like the one you made

If you could send me your old one i could fab one up.

On 6/25/2016 at 3:04 AM, Allan said:

I say it is best to choose an interior colour that is aesthetically pleasing to the both of you. My interior is white; The former wood-like panelling was claustrophobic. As for lost value for straying from original? You already crossed that bridge with the wheels. There comes a point when something looks so much better than new that the value goes up.

Yea i think we are going to just paint it the way we would like. As long as its done nice i don't think it'll take away from the value. As for the wheels they are still the original, just painted and chrome rings put on.

On 6/25/2016 at 10:12 AM, linda s said:

It's a house. Decorate it like you would a house. Not many people choose to paint the whole inside of their house white. Coordinating colors with fabric in subtle tones creates an expensive finished look. If in good shape, leaving some of the wood, like maybe just bottom cabinets, can add interest. There are online programs for home decorating where you can do mock-ups and see how you like it.

Linda

Thanks for your input Linda, always appreciated.  Curtains were made up over the weekend and she did some priming and will do some painting this week. I'll be sure to post pics. Also a few more little tweaks are in the works. I'll keep you posted :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thought i'd put up a few pics of it in its natural habitat :)  Also i installed HID headlights last week.  Much brighter over stock.

20160703_182539.jpg

20160703_181248.jpg

20160628_160614.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got rid of the steps i was using and had to carry around and installed a single pull out step.  Was pretty solid bolted thru the floor, but i welded a threaded rod to each side of the step bracket and to the frame of the camper. Now it doesn't budge even a little when stepped on.

20160720_151940.jpg

20160720_151807.jpg

20160720_152004.jpg20160720_152040.jpg20160720_165843.jpg

Welded a bumper hitch to the camper today to pull a small trailer if i need. Also stripped off the paint and repainted it black to match the front bumper.

20160721_112917.jpg

20160721_114714.jpg

20160721_135229.jpg