84 Sunrader Led Taillight And Marker Light Project

your sunrader is rapidly approaching the better than factory standard; that to which all others shall be judged against. Simply beautiful work, love it.

Wasn't kidding when i said i'd love to buy a gas cap well cover like yours. mine is crumbling. i believe its identical to yours in dimensions.

Edited by Totem

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Totem said:

your sunrader is rapidly approaching the better than factory standard; that to which all others shall be judged against. Simply beautiful work, love it.

Wasn't kidding when i said i'd love to buy a gas cap well cover like yours. mine is crumbling. i believe its identical to yours in dimensions.

Thanks for the compliment!  I can make one for you, i don't have my old one to make another template and i don't really wanna pull the new one since it is screwed and glued in already. If you can get your old one off and keep it mostly intact i can work with that.

heck ya you are on. .. as soon as my last summer trip is done, i will send it over.

another question... how hard was it to source that glass to the windshield and install it. JDE has me a bit worried now.. that i wont be able to get a shop to do it.

Edited by Totem

1 hour ago, Totem said:

Ok let me know when you get it pulled.

The glass isn't an issue getting.  Its the same as an 84 toyota pickup and there are thousands of those on the road so don't worry about that.

• 1 month later...

Few more updates going on with the camper. Painted the rest of the cabinets today and yesterday. Took all the cabinet doors off and painted the edges a gray color then the rest a cream.  Looking forward to getting them back on. Also have new knobs for all the cabinet doors.

20160823_183404.jpg

20160824_163830.jpg

20160824_163837.jpg

20160824_163753.jpg

21 hours ago, linda s said:

Looks great. I painted the doors in my Nissan and did the 2 tone too. Gives a nice professional look

Linda S

Thanks Linda, i like the look too, next up will be the flooring and reupholstering the cushions.

20160825_150540.jpg

• 5 months later...

Decided to pull the motor today. I'm going to rebuild it because it was using some oil and could probably use a freshening up anyways.  Will probably put a little better cam in it for power also.  Took about 2 1/2 hours to get it out.  None of it was real difficult, just takes a little patience.

20170131_102350.jpg

20170131_125646.jpg

20170131_125635.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Kinda stalled on getting the motor apart. Ended up buying a 73 challenger project car that i've been working on. Today i finally decided to get the motor torn down so i can get it to the machine shop and order oversized pistons, better cam, and basically a full rebuild kit. The motor had 130k on it and was using some oil.  Once apart today i could see that the one timing chain guide had broken and the chain was wearing into the timing cover. It wasn't making noise so i would have never known.  Pieces of the plastic guide were in the oil pan and partially plugging the oil pickup.  Will also be putting a new clutch in while i've got it this far apart.

20170226_204325.jpg

20170226_204309.jpg

20170226_204253.jpg

20170226_204249.jpg

• 1 month later...

Coming along better now, i plan to put the motor back in next week. Head was resurfaced with new valve guides and seals, New water pump, fuel pump, gaskets, clutch, turned flywheel, cap, rotor, plugs etc. Anxious to start it up.

20170413_102011.jpg

20170413_102017.jpg

20170413_152934.jpg

Varoom,Varoom

• 2 weeks later...

Back in and running.  Took it out to do the initial break in and runs really well.  Just need to adjust the valves and put some miles on it.

20170424_135640.jpg

2 hours ago, linda s said:

You do good work. I was wondering if I could adopt you. I could use a son who likes to work on cars and motorhomes of course.

Linda S

Haha, sure, i work for food and lodging :)  I enjoy getting away from my normal day of working on vw's and tinkering with this instead.  Different kind of challenge.

On 4/25/2017 at 7:14 AM, hunkaman said:

being that my skill sets are in carpentry/construction, i am in awe with your project. what a great accomplishment! good luck, joe from dover.

Thanks, if you can build a house though you can rebuild a toyota motor.  Just need the basic tools, time, and patience.

I forgot to add i did put a slightly more aggressive cam in it.  Its the RV cam so i'm hoping that'll help with power too.

Who's cam and what are the numbers?

Edited by WME

I  used Teds HO 270 degree cam. A small loss at the bottom end but from 2500 rpm and up a nice boost.

13 hours ago, WME said:

I  used Teds HO 270 degree cam. A small loss at the bottom end but from 2500 rpm and up a nice boost.

Nice, i probably should have gone a little more aggressive but he recommended this one.  Did it affect fuel mileage?

As far as MPG I couldn't tell, my right foot was all too happy to use the extra power:rolleyes:. If I remember right my mileage was in the low 13's @ 60-65 mph I did have to tweek the the AFM to run a bit richer as the factory setting was a bit lean with  all the modifications.

Ted did not have your at the time I did my mods, choices were the Crawler or the HO.

Edited by WME

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/2/2017 at 11:49 AM, onnani said:

Bwolfgti are you still selling the aluminum LED housings?  I don't see an active sale on Ebay and i'm interested in purchasing a pair of them. 

I don't have any more right now.  I was gonna get more cut, but haven't gotten around to it.

43 minutes ago, NissanSunrader1984 said:

Well hows the build going... No posting recently. 

Nothing new really.  Just been using the camper all summer.  Got some camping in last weekend also.. This winter i'd like to do the floor and hopefully recover the cushions and some other small things. I'll update if i do.

That's great. Wondering if you have access to or anyone knows where I might find / locate a few items? First off I'd love to have a wiring diagram... especially the wiring that connects the tail lights / clearance lights...I'm having issues refreshing my lighting system.  The other issue I'd love to tackle is how I might best build a custom set of upper cabinets. I've removed the old ones... refreshed and strengthened the lower ones..( I'll try to get around to posting before and after photos of everything in a few days ). I've made notes taken photos and video of most of what I've done. I've learned a lot...yet still have a ton of questions to ask those that know the inner working of this rare machine. I can say I find them extremely simple yet not well built like I was lead to believe. I find their structure lacking as well as the under belly under used as well as poorly designed. Rust is a issue I could use some suggestions on as well. So..excuse my long winded reply...just thinking out loud. Thanks for the reply. Yours looks great... have  agreat week..safe Travels. 

On 10/28/2017 at 5:37 AM, NissanSunrader1984 said:

That's great. Wondering if you have access to or anyone knows where I might find / locate a few items? First off I'd love to have a wiring diagram... especially the wiring that connects the tail lights / clearance lights...I'm having issues refreshing my lighting system.  The other issue I'd love to tackle is how I might best build a custom set of upper cabinets. I've removed the old ones... refreshed and strengthened the lower ones..( I'll try to get around to posting before and after photos of everything in a few days ). I've made notes taken photos and video of most of what I've done. I've learned a lot...yet still have a ton of questions to ask those that know the inner working of this rare machine. I can say I find them extremely simple yet not well built like I was lead to believe. I find their structure lacking as well as the under belly under used as well as poorly designed. Rust is a issue I could use some suggestions on as well. So..excuse my long winded reply...just thinking out loud. Thanks for the reply. Yours looks great... have  agreat week..safe Travels. 

No i'm not sure where to find a wiring diagram. There isn't a ton of info out there on these machines, but searching thru this forum and you can learn alot from what others have done.  Seems to be mostly trial and error and getting advice from others that have tackled some of the same problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. I hope this reaches everyone that contributed to my question...I'm new to the forum. I haven't spent much time on forums so I always wonder if those we communicate with receive our follow ups and sincere gratitude for the help and guidance so many offer. Thanks...to you all. I hope to follow up soon with a ton of material I've been compiling...with photos and info and charts and docs... It would be nice to have a place we could all go to simply pull up anything we need anytime we need concerning our Sunraders...and it's community of interested owners and seekers of RV remodeling and restoration. Thanks