• 2 weeks later...

This is out of a 86 dolphin.I was going to get it but don't know if it will fit my 84 mrv which has the five lug . I have read where some have just changed them out and others had to do some modifications. I'm in the process of talking to the owner of the one ton and the local Toyota dealer. I have done a lot of work to my rig before I found out about the faulty 5 lug.

Ok good idea if never change out a rear axle before. I have the heavy duty leaf springs and shocks and it will be put on the one ton it is set up for air bags. Thanks a bunch

a 89 rearend cjac will have to have the rearend mounts redone. I would stick with the 86 rear that will bolt right in.it maybe a further drive to get .but the hasel with the 89 rewelding it I would do without and go with the further drive to get the 86 rear.

a 89 rearend cjac will have to have the rearend mounts redone. I would stick with the 86 rear that will bolt right in.it maybe a further drive to get .but the hasel with the 89 rewelding it I would do without and go with the further drive to get the 86 rear.

That's news to me. I am aware of no differences between an 86 full floater and an 89 except for the wheels

Linda S

I second that. Toyota made two mount changes for the rear-axles that I'm aware of. #1 is when they went from two-shocks in front of the rear-axle, to staggered shocks. Not sure what year that happened but it was before 1986 as I recall. #2 is when Toyota made the frame-rails further part and thus the mounting pads on the rear-axle had to be welded on further apart. That happened very early 80s as I recall - maybe even 1979 (not sure). I've got all those dates buried in my computer somewhere.

Oh wow I thought the mounts would be all the same. Maybe it would be a good idea to measure in between my leaf springs and have the other person measure his just to make sure. What you think Mr.Frost? Thanks everyone

i just changed out my 85 5 lug rear with a 86 rear 6 lug during the summer that bolted right to mini.without any changes what so ever. matter of fact I also changed front bolts in the rear springs .that they showed you could not get anymore for that year .but you could get the bolts for the 84 year that was the same bolts that they used for the 86.explain that one. that's the same as the bushings all these people here saying the bushing they bought didn't fit they used the same bushing that I know of for the 84 up to 87 .I checked the years and they were all the same.all a Toyota mini is a truck cut in half and stretched nothing special about it because it's a rv just about all the parts fit up to 88 when they changed the body for the seamless truck bed. and I worked a lot of them.as for the rear fitting I guess use your judgment.all I can tell you that I know it fits.

you might as well put new bushings in to. doing the swap is easy . I did mine in about 2 1/2 hours

There are urethane bushings available as well, from "Prothane".

• 1 month later...

Hello. Longtime lurker and new member. Just registered, as I just took delivery of an '83 Sunrader 18 foot. Same old story, from what I can tell; I have the 5 lug rear dually axle. Has anyone tried to swap in an axle from another source, ie Ford 150 or Dodge 1500, etc?

Has anyone tried to swap in an axle from another source, ie Ford 150 or Dodge 1500, etc?

Nothing much to be gained from the Ford or Dodge 1/2 ton trucks you mentioned. Not much different then what you already have. If you want a full-floater you need something from a HD 3/4 ton or a 1 ton truck. Even many 3/4 ton trucks only have semi-floaters. Something like Fred Heath's GM full-floater, or a Dana 60 FF will last you forever (or a Sterling from a Ford).

• 2 months later...

Got my floater today. It's out of a 1987 box truck with 144,000 miles and is a 4:10 gear ratio. Leaf springs are 37" apart so no modifications to do. Now I will have no worries about bearing failure on my travels.