Insurance Pay Off

rondame

Need help here. Was rear ended last night and pretty sure it is totaled. Not from truck stand point but from motorhome part. It is a 1990 Winnebago 6 cyl warrior. My question is what can I expect for an offer from insurance company. Anyone have experience in this area.

Ron Dame

Shallotte, NC

you can expect the insurance companies version of a blue book on the truck with 0 regard to the true classic, actual or personal value. Sad but true... insurance in any form is a product that is on par with buying a lie these days.

I have seen some in here claim that extra policy can be purchased to protect actual value and that may be the best approach but it will cost more than its worth in the long run.

I've also heard some companies that claim they can help find replacements; if they can do that that that's the way I would go; just to get at the bones and then swap out your viable organs.

My condolences for your loss. keep us posted of your experience with the adjustor. My guess is that it will involve a lot of fine policy print and "we are sorry but.." statements.

Sorry for the loss, we also were wondering in regards to this issue. We only have liability - so if it gets damaged there is no insurance to cover it. I wonder if there is a policy that would cover it as an RV? At 25 years old I doubt any insurance would see its true value.

You need to have it appraised. Bring that # to your insurance company.

You may pay a higher premium for your coverage, but at least you have a good chance of getting your investment back. Especially if your not at fault.

In a similar situation in the past, I had some success with this approach: Do some research and gather dollar values for very similar vehicles currently on the market; type it up in a clear, professional format and fax it to claims dept. If you still keep hitting a stone wall after every negotiation (i.e. they want to total the vehicle and give you next to nothing), use the following: "I'm going to have to speak your manager; please put him/her on the phone immediately."

My company . i.e. Progressive, gave me two options. #1 - use NADA Bluebook value, or # 2 get a prof. appraisal - submit to them and agree to a price (raises the price of the plan). NADA puts my 1988 Minicruiser at an average sale price of $4000 which is fine with me. I paid $1800 for it and did some work on it I know I can buy another in somewhat decent shape for less then $4000 if I shop around. Your 1990 Winne has the same NADA value.

I started to type a long wordy response about the in's and out's of how you should negotiate for YOUR money, then got to thinking. This is the 21st century there must be loads of info on dealing with adjusters on the net and there is!

So the best I can add is Google "how to deal with an insurance adjuster" HTH Jim

Well I look at it like I can't take it with me. Like Sherrie I only have liability. If its gone its gone. 3 years now owning my toy and only $300 total for insurance over the years. I can't complain, I won't complain. I don't care to deal with the insurance monsters..

The guy that rear ended you was at fault. If you in a no fault state your kind of stuck but in most states his insurance company is responsible. You have a right to ask for an independent appraiser to value your vehicle and arguing about the settlement does work. Getting some recently sold prices for similar motorhomes can help too. Prove how much it was worth with receipts and all the evidence you can find.

Linda S

To Linda's point unless you were in Michigan you may have a better approach in going after the person who hit the rig and having them pay the estimate of repair. Refuse the insurance desire to total especially if the only damage is to the RV part.

I have FULL insurance on my 85 sunrader,

I have it with progressive.

They wanted to give me $4000 bluebook value,

I asked for agreed value cuz it is worth more than that.

The agent asked me what I was thinking,

we both agreed that we will do it for the price I paid for the sunrader $9000.

my premium is abour $500 year with $100 deductible.

I think it is worth the extra expense for full insurance cuz I store it off site.

hope that helps someone.

So ask for a higher insured value based on market price/replacement $$$ pls

I carry full ins also, here in FL it is about $450 year. I do not have an agreed upon value yet. As soon as the interior is presentable I will be heading to State Farm to get it.

From what I see a 93 Toy should be insured from $12 to $15K ! If I had to replace it now I could not do it for $4 or $5K. Jim

My company . i.e. Progressive, gave me two options. #1 - use NADA Bluebook value, or # 2 get a prof. appraisal - submit to them and agree to a price (raises the price of the plan). NADA puts my 1988 Minicruiser at an average sale price of $4000 which is fine with me. I paid $1800 for it and did some work on it I know I can buy another in somewhat decent shape for less then $4000 if I shop around. Your 1990 Winne has the same NADA value.

Funny thing with Progressive.

They will not insure your motor home if it doesn't have a bathroom.

Had them for years. All was good to go until I made the mistake of mentioning no bathroom in my galavan.

Nope.....no can do.

Chinook owners beware.

The guy that rear ended you was at fault. If you in a no fault state your kind of stuck but in most states his insurance company is responsible.

Are there any other states with the type of "no fault" like Michigan has? New York (where I lived for 40 years) has what they call "No Fault" but it has nothing to do with vehicle or property damage. In NY - if someone hits you and is at fault - they have to pay. Here in Michigan the cap is $1000. So I could be driving a $400,000 Aston Martin and if some jerk plows into me - the most I can seek in damages is $1000. No guarantee of getting it either since it has to go to small claims court that has little enforcement power. Only exception here in Michigan is if your vehicle is parked when hit. Then the other person is liable. I found that out the hard way last year when a kid plowed into me when I was stopped at a red light. I was not moving but technically was not "parked" so he could not be held liable for over $1000. Lucky (I guess) he had his mom's insurance and she had the optional property damage rider. So her company paid me $1000 and I am still driving my half-wrecked van (missing a few working doors).

I lived in New York from 1977 to 2014. NY as far back as I can remember has had what they call "No fault" insurance. It is only about who pays medical bills and lost income and has nothing to do with property or vehicle damage. New York "No Fault" couldn't of paid for the damage to the car. Maybe the mom's collision took care of it and then got reimbursed later by whoever did the damage. It was because I lived in NY for all those years with "No Fault" auto insurance - I was clueless when I arrived in Michigan and found out the Michigan "No Fault" is very different. I've been told that Michigan is the only state in the USA that has it - but cannot say I've ever researched the claim.

Friend bought new truck, paid cash and only liability insurance. Lady side sipped an expensive car, careened off it and sideswiped another car. Then hit him head on and totaled his nice new truck.

Her insurance fixed first and second side swiped cars and reached her policy limits, there was nothing left for him. Guess being #1 in all things pays off. Jim