Toyota RV I've Never Seen Before

zero

I am in the process of digitally archiving hundreds of RV magazines and periodicals. I just came across this Toyota Mini-Micro called "New World." Made in Michigan. It was shown at the 31st annual midwest manufactured housing and RV show for 1985 held in South Bend, Indiana. 21 footer with a welded aluminum sub-structure. Oddly - it has dual wheels and uses passenger-car tires. Size is P195/75-14". So I guess Walmart was right. I looked up tires for a dually Toyota and that is the size Walmart came up with. Now I know somebody actually sold RVs new with those tires. Also has a "Blandex" floor which I never heard of before. Ends up it is just a brand-name of OSB that is made all over the place here in northern Michigan. Not something I'd want in an RV floor. Especially the OSB from the 80s. It has gotten somewhat better since then.

post-6578-0-77986400-1448138183_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-23305200-1448138187_thumb.jp

Very odd that they would specify passenger tires. There used to be quite a few manufacturers that made a 195/75/14 truck tire with a higher load range. That is the size listed on the door of my Nissan Sunrader. Only company I know of that still makes a D load range in that size is Yokohama y356's. I have seen a few New World Toyota campers in the past. Not many, must not have been in business for long

Linda S

Very odd that they would specify passenger tires. There used to be quite a few manufacturers that made a 195/75/14 truck tire with a higher load range. That is the size listed on the door of my Nissan Sunrader. Only company I know of that still makes a D load range in that size is Yokohama y356's. I have seen a few New World Toyota campers in the past. Not many, must not have been in business for long

Linda S

They are "P" tires so likely just a four-ply rating although the literature does not specify. Last year I used the Walmart database to look up tires for a 1990 Toyota dually and it only offered the same size - P195/75-14" I though they were wrong at the time put perhaps not. A four-ply-rated passenger tire can carry load OK. I'm not sure if the air-space between two of those tires will be correct though on a FF dually. I assume that "New World" Toyota has a semi-floating rear with a dual adapter kit so with that - distance might differ from a FF dually?

I actually have P tires on my Nissan Sunrader. When I picked it up in New York the tires were toast. P195/75/14 was the only tire I could find on short notice cause I had to head back to California ASAP. 1400lbs load. They are still on it. I don't really drive it much but the tires have held up well.

Linda S

I have new P-tires on my dually Chinook. When I was in the process of moving out of New York last year - I had to put six tires on the Chinook to make it drivable. At that time I had (still do) six brand new 185R-14C tires I had initially bought for the Chinook. But then decided to use them on my 84 Datsun Minicruiser that needed tires badly and was sitting in Michigan. Walmart had Douglas P195/75-14 for $44 each so I got them. I love the tires. I might just leave them on. I put the same size Douglas tires on my Isuzu diesel firewood truck and they have been amazingly rugged. Funny that when I finally moved to Michigan - some guy came by and offered me twice what I'd paid for that Datsun so I sold it and never put the new tires on it. At the time - it had P195/75-`14s on it that were somewhat dry-rotted. So I still have six brand new 185R-14C HD tires here that have never been mounted and not sure If I even want them on the Chinook. As you can see in the photos - the distance on the full-floater dually rims between the P195/75-14 tires looks pretty good.

post-6578-0-78524800-1448474024_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-49144400-1448474026_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-98040000-1448474028_thumb.jp

The later model Winnebagos came from the factory with 195R14 tires so I would expect they would fit fine. My Nissan has deeper dually wheels though. When I got it there were 205's on one side in the back and there was plenty of clearance. I got Goodyear Viva's in New York that time. Same price as your Douglas, 44 bucks.

Linda S

Goodyear makes Douglas tires so they may be the same thing with a different name stamped on them. I've got Vivas (also from Walmart) on my Dodge Grand Caravan.

• 2 months later...

I own one of these beauties. Got mine for 3600 Everything works except for the Oven which I'm sure is the Thermal Coupler. I can smell gas coming out of the burner side of the knob assembly what ever that may be "technically" called! And of course the tank sensors aren't working either..But I'm in the process of putting 2 6v in series in and a new futon mattress. I plan on using the overhead bed for storage with a bunch of plastic drawers screwed to a piece of plywood. Bought some nice blackout thermal curtains which dear ol Mum will be making into Velcro curtains. Put Velcro around the windows and on the curtains. Then I'll be leaving the great cold north of Duluth, MN and heading for the warm sandy beaches of Miami/Keys FL to live for a few weeks. May settle in FL or who knows where I'll land! These are great campers! I was getting 16 MPG before I tuned her up. When I did I noticed one of the plug wires wasn't seated in the distributor cap! New plugs, wires, cap, router, and O2 sensor now just need to get it on the Highway to test my mileage.

post-8577-0-93263600-1454781443_thumb.jp

• 7 months later...
On 11/21/2015 at 2:36 PM, jdemaris said:

I am in the process of digitally archiving hundreds of RV magazines and periodicals. I just came across this Toyota Mini-Micro called "New World." Made in Michigan. It was shown at the 31st annual midwest manufactured housing and RV show for 1985 held in South Bend, Indiana. 21 footer with a welded aluminum sub-structure. Oddly - it has dual wheels and uses passenger-car tires. Size is P195/75-14". So I guess Walmart was right. I looked up tires for a dually Toyota and that is the size Walmart came up with. Now I know somebody actually sold RVs new with those tires. Also has a "Blandex" floor which I never heard of before. Ends up it is just a brand-name of OSB that is made all over the place here in northern Michigan. Not something I'd want in an RV floor. Especially the OSB from the 80s. It has gotten somewhat better since then.

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

So since last I looked here I've purchased new tires and I did put the P195/75-14 on the front but went with the 185-14c on the back. Also yes the floor is OSB however it has an aluminum panel under it. So the OSB is not actually exposed to the elements. I've had to use EternaBound on the roof edges to stop roof leaks on it but any other model with the leaking this one seems to have seen would of been trash. But the aluminum frame has saved it. A wood frame one would have collapsed.

9 minutes ago, scripalbert@gmail.com said:

The wife and I were out Saturday and I saw one of these parked by an individuals garage.  It looks very similar to the one pictured.

Was it in Superior, WI? If so that was mine lol.