Cab Carpet

jhdbad

I'm ready to replace carpet in cab of my 90 Sunrader. Before I proceed I thought I'd reach out to this helpful group for tips suggestions etc. your advice has been so helpful in my other tasks. Thanks

I have not done this before

I'm ready to replace carpet in cab of my 90 Sunrader. Before I proceed I thought I'd reach out to this helpful group for tips suggestions etc. your advice has been so helpful in my other tasks. Thanks

I have not done this before

It should be a big help to you to head on over to youtube and watch some videos. Most of the companies that put out the pre molded carpet kits have posted videos on how to install it.

Of course it is often wishful thinking that the molded kits will be exact fits. Maybe someone will contribute the name of a kit they have found that went it with very few swear words. That will be the best help of all in making it easy for you.

Molded most likely I have watched videos and looks like something I can handle just thought I might get some tips from others. Will the molded carpet replace back to coach?

I replaced coach carpet with laminate up to the lip where coach and cab meet.

I personally bought the king cab carpet kit on a chance and it worked out well. If I recall, the backing insulation was an option and was already fastened to the carpet back. Removing the old stuff involved removing many (very many) staples with a small screwdriver and a set of heavy duty electrician's pliers. The install was easy. I followed up with a set of Wet Okole (brand) seat covers and covered the old plaid door panels with the same fabric we used to re-upholster the cushions in camper area. After 4+ years now, I'd say the expense was worth it for us. Every fabric surface we touch inside of the rig is new material, which we like. The camper floor is white linoleum stapled over the old carpet. It came that way and we thought about replacing it with laminate or bamboo, but decided it works just fine.

When we drive out of town, we drape a sleeping bag between the cab and the camper for sound proofing, and to eliminate drafts.

If I were to start over, I'd do some soundproofing with some kind of acoustic spray inside of the doors, or maybe Dynamat (brand) material.

I did the molded-vinyl kit because I figured I could clean up mud easier, and put woven carpet on top if I wanted. (I looked for the receipt to get name, but I timed out @ 30min.) Mine did not have enough extra to fold up at the cab-to-coach and trim at coach floor height. It was about $120 (3 yrs ago). It had enough extra on all other borders to reach up under the dash and everywhere else it needed to. It is very thick (3/16"+?)and required laying it out in the sun for an hour or so to get it pliable enough to get it to lay right after being shipped folded up. A heat gun and a hot day were a must for me, otherwise I couldn't have made it go where it needed to. Strong hands are required. I backed it with some 1/4" sound deadening material and it is SO much quieter in the cab now than before. :omg: I would get some help from a capable person with this. My prior experience as an upholsterer stood me in good stead, but even then I went slowly and over-cut initially, then trimmed with a utility knife.For some cuts, I used a steel straight edge. A sharp punch and a wood backing-block under the mat helps for the seat-belt holes. I have to admit, the finished product looks very nice and original, but it's a bear to install and it's vinyl, not carpeting.

TG

Ive done a Vinyl in my dodge ram, same experience as ToyoGuy ^ very thick and in my case in winter install I had to put it on garage floor with some heaters aimed at it for a weekend.

I also did my sunrader with a pre-molded kit I got from an online parts store that I had some points with for discount; I think I paid $107 after some rewards points. I used king cab in that and it covered so much that my biggest issue was having to cut a LOT of excess, but better that than not enough carpet.

In retrospect of both jobs, and being a carpet hater, I prefer the vinyl... wipes clean and its CLEAN, no needing to steam clean the pop out of it the wife or kids spilled.

• 2 weeks later...

we also considered using Durabak, a marine deck coating (think bedliner from hell, that comes in colors and you can drag anchors across, for like $140/gal) but decided on molded carpet kit with the optional attached sound/thermal insulation due to sound issues. about $200 with shipping for the kit.

i'll let you know how the installation goes when I finish removing the rusted in place seat bolts....... :shit: