Another Trip 5400 Miles

FredNewell

Just completed our annual round trip from Fortuna CA to Nashville TN. No problems except for a fuel filter. Pulled into an O'Reilley auto parts store somewhere along I-80 in Nebraska. $12 for the filter and a different pair of pliers, some long cuff Playtex gloves, and about 5 minutes later we were back on our way. Freeway speed had dropped from 70-75 to 50 mph. After the new filter, back up to 70.

Lesson: Change the filter before each long trip. Carry a spare. Drain the tank a little (there is a drain plug) to see if anything but clear gas comes out.

Safety items... Shut off propane, disconnect battery, open the gas cap to vent pressure.

The filter is under the truck, about 4' behind the passenger seat. It is clipped to the frame. Only tool needed is a pair of pliers. Rags or paper towels are nice. Gloves are nice.

Don't need to jack it up. Can reach from laying on the ground.

This is for an 84 with a carb, not fuel injected.

• 1 year later...

Well, it has been a while since posting.  I retired from my job, and lost the login/password.  Found it again.

Last fall we took another round trip to Nashville, and are going again in a week or so.  Fortuna to Nashville.

No problems last trip.  Don't expect any this trip.

Thinking about selling the Dolphin afterwards.  

• 4 weeks later...

Trip completed, to and from Nashville.   Dolphin ran smooth the entire trip.  Eastbound via I-80 and returned via I-40.  Still thinking about selling the Dolphin, either this month or in September.