Turn Off Propane Flame For Fridge When Filling Gas Tank?

candace

Our fridge only works on propane. We always turn off the fridge when filling the gas tank. However, to turn it back on, one of us has to push the button inside the rv while the other lights the flame. I'm by myself this week. Can I leave the fridge flame lit when I fill up? I've read other opinions... Most people say it's not a problem to leave it on bc the gas fill is usually far enough away from the refrigerator flame. But on my toyota it's no more than two feet away.

We always leave it on, even though there is a little sign by the gas tank that says we should turn it off. I would be interested as to what our Forum Gurus have to offer on the topic!

I have actually tried to find any evidence of fires being caused by fridges being on causing gas station fires and the only thing I ever found was one maybe but unproven.. What I did find through insurance co's was fires caused by leaking propane lines and fridges causing camper fires. I would not try this in an enclosed area but it does not appear to be an issues at gas stations. There are two camps so the decision is up to you. I don't turn mine off and believe me driving a Toy Home lands you in gas stations a lot! It takes a pretty perfect mix to light off gasoline.

I've seen a lot of people filling their gasoline tanks with the engine running, or with a lit cigarette in their mouth, etc. Refueling the propane can go in the same category. It's likely explosions are fires from refueling propane with a flame burning are rare. But it depends on many variables. Like does the filler-person overfill your tank, and trip the over-fill valve causing lots of gas leaking waiting for way to ignite? Does your RV have any new propane leaks you were not privy to at fill-time? It's just one of many safety precautions. I rarely wear a seat belt and have been driving for 50 years. Does that mean seat belts don't save a few lives? I bet they do. Also - I find "statistics" about RV fires pretty useless. If my Toyota burnt up today due to a propane leak - nobody in the world except maybe me would know why it happened. Just had an RV explosion here this week at a deer-hunt camp. Official statement was "cause unknown."

One small anecdotal case-in-point. Last year I was on a trip and stopped for a gasoline fill up. When I got out of my 88 Toyota RV I smelled propane and it was pretty strong. Ends up after a long bouncy washboarded road - I'd sprung two propane leaks. One right by the refrigerator and one at the regulator. I am very glad my frig was not "lit' while driving or my RV might of gotten "lit" too. I'm lucky that I use the 12 volt DC function while driving or I might not have that RV anymore - or worse.

I know this for sure. Nobody here sitting behind a keyboard can tell you with any accuracy if you are "safe" refueling your RV with propane while the frig is lit. Maybe yes, and maybe no. Makes little difference who else has done it with no issues.

When the fire starts in the fridge compartment it pretty much a given there was a problem there I don't make this stuff up it came from insurance co'. reports. 12 volt electrical and engine fires #1 fridges #2.

I think you are tempting fate. You have an open flame within two feet of gasoline fumes. Chances of an explosion may be slim, but It only takes one disaster to make you, and possibly other innocent people nearby, very sorry. Saying, "Some folks at the toyota forum said it would be okay," after the fact won't help much.

Perhaps you could ask another customer at the gas station to help you relight your frig. People are often very willing to help out. All you need is someone to hold in that button while you do the lighting. Also, if you keep the frig door closed, it will keep things cold for many hours. Could you wait until you get to your campground to relight after fueling? Surely you can get someone at the campground to help you.

Better safe than sorry when in comes to explosive fuels.

When the fire starts in the fridge compartment it pretty much a given there was a problem there I don't make this stuff up it came from insurance co'. reports. 12 volt electrical and engine fires #1 fridges #2.

If my RV caught fire today and blew up - there would be no insurance report. I'm sure many that burn or blow up that are 25-35 years old also are not subject to any official investigations when things go bad. Not unless they wind up killing somebody or doing property damage other then the RV.

Hi Candace I always leave our fridge running when filling up the gas tank, on ours the gas filler is on the opposite side to the fridge, (89 Winnebago Warrior) but even if it wasn't I wouldn't have any qualms about it. but as others have said its up to what you feel safe with. But why make things difficult for yourself by turning the propane off? just my thoughts!

Mike

I am a Viet Nam combat vet, for 13 months things blew up around me so tempting fate is not my thing! Gasoline, fumes and flames just do not mix.

I searched the Darwin awards and no one has made it for blowing up a gas station by not turning off their LP fridge while refueling. Nobody has made it "yet".

I am sure with a bit of ingenuity a stick, clip, prop can be devised to hold the button in to relight. Jim

I can't comprehend why anyone would drive with the gas-frig burning assuming it's a 3-way and it can be run on DC power while driving. I am far from "Mr. Safety." But that being said -I rarely even drive with the propane tank valve even turned on. On a 30 year old rig with lots of propane lines to jar loose on bumpy roads - I find it very easy to turn the gas valve "off" when driving Not really all that difficult to turn the gas on when parked, camping, etc. Heck the 12 -14 volt DC power is virtually free when running down the road. Why not use it?

If you spray gasoline on a burning flame yes it will catch fire. The insurance industry also has tracked 12 volt wiring RV fires to people doing their own creative wiring more often than not There are two sides to the issue if you think it is a bad ideal then it is. My fridge does not run on 12 volts.

ALWAYS turn it off when filling with gasoline! I have worked as a pump jockey and have seen an rv on fire after they told an attendant that they had turned the pilot off. They lied. Fumes is what catches fire. Those fumes build up around the area and will catch. A spark from static electricity will also catch. You must ground yourself by touching the rig before filling. Better safe than burned up. As for propane being open going down the road, not safe but I stay on the road constantly so mine is on the lowest setting and I keep a check in all my lines. No more dangerous than regular gas lines. My only concern would be if they run close to a wheel anywhere where a hot brake could melt a line. I saw a pile of aluminum that was once a 25ft trailer, still hooked to a pickup on the side of the road in AZ once that burned from a pilot light or a hot brake.

As for propane being open going down the road, not safe but I stay on the road constantly. No more dangerous than regular gas lines.

How the heck do you come to that conclusion? Gasoline lines do not run inside the coach on any RV I've owned. My propane lines certainly do. The last propane leak I sprung was after an extremely washboarded gravel road. The burner box separated from the rest of my Dometic refrigerator and the line broke. If that is not an accident waiting to happen - I don't know what is. My gas wasn't turned on at the time. I found out when I parked and turned the gas on and smelled gas all over the place including inside the coach. Granted that some Dometic refrigerators have a different design that is somewhat safer. My 1988 frig certainly is not. If my gas had been on and frig lit - it is very likely I would of had a fire or an explosion. I'll add that for most RVs I've worked on - the propane hardware is not even HD. No plastic covered copper. No forged flare nuts. Just the cheapest stuff available. Take a rig that is 30 years old that maybe gets driven on very rough roads - and the possibility of springing a leak while driving is what I call high.

post-6578-0-79615700-1447596356_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-67256700-1447596365_thumb.jp

ALWAYS turn it off when filling with gasoline! I have worked as a pump jockey and have seen an rv on fire after they told an attendant that they had turned the pilot off. They lied. Fumes is what catches fire. Those fumes build up around the area and will catch. A spark from static electricity will also catch. You must ground yourself by touching the rig before filling. Better safe than burned up. As for propane being open going down the road, not safe but I stay on the road constantly so mine is on the lowest setting and I keep a check in all my lines. No more dangerous than regular gas lines. My only concern would be if they run close to a wheel anywhere where a hot brake could melt a line. I saw a pile of aluminum that was once a 25ft trailer, still hooked to a pickup on the side of the road in AZ once that burned from a pilot light or a hot brake.

Was it gasoline and a propane flame? Your sure of that? Because so far I have not found any creditable evidence of gas station fires linked to a propane pilot light other than some one squirting gas on the fridge. If the mix was of enough quality to ignite the fumes the result would be a lot more like an explosion than a fire.

I leave my propane frig on all the time except when filling the propane tank. No DC available.

You mentioned having to manually light the pilot light outside. Curious what kind of frig you have. On mine, I hold one button in (provides pilot fuel) and push in the other button which clicks and provides the spark.

Dometic RM2410

I've got six Dometic 3-ways here. 1977, 1978, 1985, 1987 and 1988. All have Piezo push-button quartz lighters. On models like the RM2400 series (mid-80s) - if the burner box gets loose and separates from the chimney (dangerous condition) - the push-button lighter won't work any more. In that case, it can be lit with a match when standing outside - while someone inside holds the gas-valve over-ride button in. If the Piezo is not working it's due the burner coming loose - it is a fire or explosion waiting to happen.

Here's another option: Our '87 Odyssey came with a stick (1x2) about 2' long with felt glued on the ends. It is sized so that it fits snugly between the button you push, and the cabinet face across the aisle from the fridge. One person can turn on the fridge, wedge the stick in place and go outside to light it. That way one can turn off the fridge and easily light it after they have fueled up.

The flame that powers our fridges is so small that very little gas builds up between the time you wedge the stick and walk outside to light it. Just in case you were worried.

• 1 month later...

Just my experience, but in my 10 years (most full time), I have always left my fridge lit while filling with gas (but never with propane). I don't have the DC option. My fridge is on the same side of the camper as my gas filler. Twice I had the gas pump malfunction and gas came gushing out the filler hole. Nothing caught fire. Scared me that's for sure. Now I listen carefully while tank is filling. I know I am lucky, but as often as I need to get gas.....I am also lazy.

Can't say I ever heard any such stories about cellphones that were worth listening to.

When it comes to RVs - I DO know this.

#1 - There are often a lot of gas lines and joints running all over and/or under the RV coach. Correct?

#2 - Unlike a stationary object - like maybe a house - an RV gets driven in weather, over lots of bumps, etc.

#3 - I know, for a fact - that the chimney and burner assemblies on some of the Dometics can just fall off after a lot of hard bumps.

#4 - I know, for a fact - that if the gas is left on when driving - and something comes loose - gas will leak.

Now the question is - if there a flame burning near that leak and is there the right mix of air along with the propane to support a good fire or interesting explosion? Considering the age of these RVs and somewhat low build quality - seems foolish to me to assume driving with gas on presents a certain level of danger. That is - unless you are the sort of person that checks over everything on a rountine basis and know all is good. No loose gas pipes in clamp falling off under the body. No half-rotted put chimney lock ring in the Dometic refrigerator, etc. And by the way - for a 1988 Dometic refrigerator - if that ring is half rusted out - that holds the burner onto the chimney -you cannot even buy a new one.

Far from some isipid "cell phone" horror theory.