Help Fixing Top Bunk Window Leak Sunrader

AbleThought

I have a leaky top bunk window on my 83 Sunrader. It's the front wrap around driver side window that has no screws holding it in. Any pointers? I want to do it right. Most likely looking to take the whole window out re gasket and seal. How do I get the window out?

Here are some photos, hopefully helpful. There is a round-shaped rubber retaining strip that pulls out of a middle channel on the outside. Hopefully, it is still in one piece and re-usable. I highly recommend borrowing scaffolding, or setting up two step ladders and a plank to spare your back, your hood, and your window(s)! Sometimes a little soapy water helps to lubricate any plastic body tools you may use to push or pull gasket parts. Once the locking strip is out, get someone to carefully push from the inside (next to the edge) and be outside to catch them and carefully bring them, one at a time over to a bench etc. Mine easily came out this way. Be very careful, of course, they are expensive to replace. Consider during your re-sealing process, that you might polish them while you can do so on a clean bench covered with cloth. BR, TG

post-1283-0-38436600-1447476440_thumb.jp

post-1283-0-53765000-1447476459_thumb.jp

Oh yeah,...... and my window channels in the lower part of the gasket were just loaded with dirt and grungy stuff. The windows fit back in way better after cleaning them out with an old toothbrush and hot water. A laundry tub was a great help. Good luck!

For fine scratches, Novus 2 plastic polish. From Tap Plastics, about $5, as I remember for the 2 oz bottle. For more deep scratches, they will likely have a recommendation. I think I might have used Meguiars on the deeper stuff. Had to remind myself, don't get greedy, some stuff is just too deep to get out. Generally, even a light polish, done correctly makes the funkiest windows look lots better. I don't use buffing wheels, I just go slow and careful and enjoy the process.

BR, TG

Here are some photos, hopefully helpful. There is a round-shaped rubber retaining strip that pulls out of a middle channel on the outside. Hopefully, it is still in one piece and re-usable. I highly recommend borrowing scaffolding, or setting up two step ladders and a plank to spare your back, your hood, and your window(s)! Sometimes a little soapy water helps to lubricate any plastic body tools you may use to push or pull gasket parts. Once the locking strip is out, get someone to carefully push from the inside (next to the edge) and be outside to catch them and carefully bring them, one at a time over to a bench etc. Mine easily came out this way. Be very careful, of course, they are expensive to replace. Consider during your re-sealing process, that you might polish them while you can do so on a clean bench covered with cloth. BR, TG

Thank you for the reply.. Did you seal it up with anything? Silicone or butyl tape?

• 3 months later...

Related question: I just purchased a Sunrader and front windows are cracked and leaking.  Can anyone give me a recommendation on the best sealant to temporarily stop the leaks!  Also, does anyone know where I can get new replacement windows and what I can expect to pay for them?  Also. if anyone can point me to posts related to repairing rot I would appreciate it.  Seems fairly straight forward, but I am going to have to replace the plywood base which seems to be fibreglass into the shell along the front edge.  I plan to cut it out and then fibreglass in the new piece.  Thank you!  

The place to get replacement wraparound windows is Advantage RV in Vallejo. They have the molds, as the guy who runs (ran?) it used to work for Gardner Pacific, which made the Sunrader. Their number is 707-252-8188 and they make the windows on an as-needed basis.

7 minutes ago, Rocinante Sunrader 88 said:

The place to get replacement wraparound windows is Advantage RV in Vallejo.

NOT to be confused with the similar sounding Adventure RV, just around the corner. :)

What are they? Around $350 each? Anyone ever bought and remember roughly what shipping cost? Can't be cheap, being bulky and fragile.

Do I vaguely remember that they couldn't supply the rubber seal?

Very possible you could find a shop that makes boat windshields or custom plexiglass work to copy the windows for you. Make sure you glue them together enough so they stay in one piece pulling them out. Karen knows a lot about plexiglass and I think she recommended Weld-on glue.

Linda S

Place like this could do it. Just depends on how much they would charge

http://www.walsh-plastics.com/plastic-windshields.html