'87 Dolphin 900 Furnace And T-Stat

Was it National's bright idea to put the t-stat straight across from the furnace? Two nights ago, it got down to 33 degrees, and with the furnace set at about 65 (actually 60 degrees - it's off by about 5 degrees), it was cycling about every 3 mins 40 seconds, both run time and off time. Is this a common issue?

I'm tempted to move the t-stat to the end of the cabinet by the door, hoping that it will take longer for the t-stat to sense the temp increase so the furnace won't cycle so often. I'm also building a diverter to direct the heated air towards the front of the coach, as we (cats and myself) sleep up top.

Edited by a2ndopinion

You have limited adjustment within the thermostat to control the on/off cycle.

Chances are, your coach is not well insulated. I have a similar issue with my furnace. I relocated my thermostat to be within reaching distance of where I sleep. I turn it on at night to get the coach warm then shut it down. Use lots of blankets and turn it on when you wakeup cold. Better then having it cycle all night.

Hang some blankets between the coach and the cab. Lots of air loss from the cab.

Great idea Fred! Thank you!!

I would tend to agree with you - t'stat has no business being that close to the furnace - especially directly across from it where the hot air blowing from the furnace can satisfy the t'stat before the rest of the room gets warm. And I like Fred's idea, too - I may have to steal it if we spend much time where it's not warm <g>. Or maybe just insert a remote on/off switch into the control circuit.