Should I Buy A Toyota Chinook?

ldd

Hi all,

I'm glad I found this forum!

I have a friend who is willing to sell me their 1976 Toyota Chinook. It has 68,000 kms. It was owned first by someone who babied it. And then another owner who put most of the kms on, then my friend. My friend lives in the West, I live in the East. So I haven't seen it in person, but have seen photos and I see no signs of rust. It looks excellent as far as I'm concerned. He wants $3,500 for it. It needs some stuff to pass inspection, such as a new battery, seat belts and windshield. About $1,000 worth of work. So I'm looking at $4,500 up front. This seems like a good deal. However, my concern is that it's an old vehicle, and Chinooks are rare - meaning if something goes wrong with it, will I have trouble finding parts and will they be expensive? The kms are low, and it's been well taken care of, but with it's age I wonder if I should take my money to invest in something newer, more money up front, but maybe not as many problems popping up in the long run.

I'm curious to know your thoughts. Thanks!

Lindsay

post-8486-0-51685200-1446262614_thumb.jp

Hi Lindsay, and welcome to our forum.

The Chinook looks to be in good shape body wise.

Keep in mind this vehicle is nearly 40 years old. They tend to be perpetual works in progress. If your mechanically inclined, or have access to someone who is,maintenance and repairs should be manageable.

Some quick suggestions:

Don't believe mileage claims on old vehicles. Once the odometer hits 100K it resets to zero and starts over again. There could be an extra 100-200K klms on the drive train.

Check the frame for rust.

How old are the tires? How does it run/drive?

Are there maintenance records?

Read through the archived posts on this forum. Just about all your questions will be answered there.

Remember that the chassis is a Toyota and you can buy parts for them almost anywhere. The motorhome part is filled with off the shelf appliances that can be repaired or replaced with current equipment. The appliances and parts are not specific to Chinook. I have an '88 Escaper and I could go to camping world and pick up parts for almost anything in the RV and they would be the same parts as your Chinook.

This forum is a great place to learn. It has saved my back side on more than one occassion, especially while I was looking to buy.

A couple things:

The vehicle is a 76 Toyota pickup. 90% of the parts you'll need, that's what you'll need them for. It is a 76 Toyota pickup which the Chinook company took and put a camper on. Parts are getting harder to find as time goes on, but there is surprisingly good parts availability for these old trucks.

As far as camper parts, almost nothing will be a direct replacement. But there are replacements which are close enough, and you'll just need to do some slight modifications to make them fit.

I've owned a lot of old vehicles, and for anyone who hasn't it's important to understand some things. No matter what shape it's in, it's OLD. Even with "brand new" parts, it's still 30-plus year-old technology. Basic and easy to fix/work on, but there have been improvements in technology over the years. Old vehicles require more maintenance. Not just because they've been around a long time, but because back then, things just needed more regular maintenance. They needed fine tuning here and there.

If you're the type of person who pays to have all your mechanical work done, this thing may cost you. If you're willing to learn to work on it yourself, it can be fun, aggravating, rewarding, frustrating...

But I personally, as well as many others around here, happily (mostly) deal with it, and drive all across the country in 20-40 year-old campers. I put 30,000 miles on my Chinook over a two year period, and it never once broke down on me. I did have to do minor tweaks and tune-ups and repairs along the way, but it was always something I could fix when I got to the next town. Never left me stranded anywhere.

It could be a great, 98% trouble-free recreational vehicle for you. Or it could be a lot of work. That's the gamble. No matter what, it will be a project. Old things just are.

As far as newer options? You'll pay. New things are expensive. Once you get into the late 80's/early 90's (when Toyota stopped allowing rv manufacturers to use their trucks), the price skyrockets.

From the one picture, it looks like it's in really good shape, and I'm kinda jealous.

But, check:

the floor for rot and sagging
the frame for rust
the walls and interior for water damage
every appliance to make sure it works (things like new fridge and furnace cost around $4-500 (!!) EACH)
wiring
engine compression, and for oil/coolant leaks

Whether you're the personality type to enjoy an old vehicle, only you can decide...there are all sorts of positives and negatives about both old and new toys. Each person has to weigh them for themselves.

Remember that the chassis is a Toyota and you can buy parts for them almost anywhere. The motorhome part is filled with off the shelf appliances that can be repaired or replaced with current equipment. The appliances and parts are not specific to Chinook. I have an '88 Escaper and I could go to camping world and pick up parts for almost anything in the RV and they would be the same parts as your Chinook.

This forum is a great place to learn. It has saved my back side on more than one occassion, especially while I was looking to buy.

Thank you so much for your feedback, everyone! I know I want to travel over the next number of months, and the first time I saw the Chinook, I fell in love. But I also have a little Toyota Echo Hatchback that I love, and I consider travelling in that and just tenting. Two very different worlds!

Your feedback has really helped. I'm still contemplating it. I have a very basic mechanical knowledge of vehicles right now, but I want to learn more. And I want my vehicle to enable me to go to meet new experiences, not become a hinderance financially and time wise.

I've attached more photos.

$_27.JPG

$_27.JPG

$_27.JPG

$_27.JPG

Clean ride.

Again, what type of mechanical shape is it in.

My toy has the same chassis as the Chinook. The 20R engine and 4 speed transmission are very durable.

Big ticket items such as the clutch, tires, rear axle, can cost thousands of dollars to repair. Even your windshield is only available from 1 supplier at a cost of about $400.00 (glass only).

The old toys are great, but as Montana said, you're always going to be fixing this or that.

I noticed a "ball hitch" attached to the rear bumper. That means this vehicle was used to tow something.

A check of the clutch operation is a must.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the purchase. But you need to go in with your eyes wide open.

Looks like it's an automatic. I don't know anything about the quality of the auto transmissions.

Yeah...towing with that thing isn't a good idea.

New vehicles cost a lot, too. My 78 didn't cost me as much as my 98. The 98 is 20 years newer, but still nearly 20 years old. Parts are expensive, and there are more of them. Jobs that took me 30 minutes on my 78 will take a weekend on my 98. Etc.

It's all a balance. You won't find a "new" motorhome, which doesn't require some work and maintenace, for under $15,000. And anything truly new is going to be more in the $100,000 range. So expensive is all relative...this Chinook will never cost you what a new rv would cost, no matter how many problems it has.

But it's up to you to ask questions and look closely at the Chinook and make sure it's not due for a new transmission or engine or has water damage or rot or failing appliances.

There's something very freeing and easy about tent camping with a car. So much less hassle in so many ways...but so much more hassle in other ways. It's really, really nice to have a place to stand up, cook food, sit at a table indoors, flip on the heater, have some tea/coffee...pull over and make a sandwich etc., especially in nasty weather. Really, really nice.

You'll attract a lot more attention in the Chinook, which can be good or bad, depending. It's fun. But sometimes you want to be anonymous...

Zach,

Didn't notice the AT. Didn't know the trucks had them that far back.

I know nothing about them.

Yeah, I think they had them pretty early on, though "luckily" (for people like me, anyway, who love manuals), they don't seem to be as common.

Derek, I see what you mean. They look like they'd put you in a very reclined position. Not the best for driving. Swapping out seats is just one of the fun projects involved in getting a 30-plus year old truck... :)

Also, it's hard to tell from the photos, and harder to tell since it's parked on grass and not necessarily level, but it looks like the rear bumper is only inches from the ground. Might just be parked on a slant, but rear suspension work is also expensive.

New leaf springs, and the labor to put them in, aren't cheap...I know. I put new rear shocks on mine and had a shop add a leaf to the suspension, but it eventually leveled back out and sat pretty low back there. It was still a huge improvement in how it drove, but the rear end was still very low. Putting brand new leaf springs WITH an added add-a-leaf is the way to go. But expensive. Like add another $1,000 onto the cost of the camper...

Not to say it's not worth it. Just another thing to consider. But IF the suspension is actually sagging that much and it's not just parked off-level, you can do a "band-aid" approach of just getting new rear shocks, and adding a leaf to the rear leaf spring pack, rather than getting all new leaves.

Nice looking rig. High price though (at least in my world). I personally would not want the A30 automatic transmission. Nothing wrong with it. In fact, it was a step up from the earlier "Toyoglide 2 speed" that was a copy of the GM Powerglide of the 60s. A30 is a three speed. The later Toyotas have A43Ds that are technically 4 speeds but with most - 4th gear can't be used anyway. The A30 is not as beefy as the A43D but hey - the Chinook is a heck of a lot smaller and lighter then most Toyota RVs. Parts are no issue for most things. Truck was almost unchanged from 1972 to 1978. New windshield is a "luxury" item and pricey. I bet over $500 if you have a glass shop do it. To my knowledge - there is only one company in North American still making them new.

I love Chinooks. My "user" is a 1978 with manual trans. I would not want one with the A30 auto simply because I want optimum gas mileage. Nothing to do with reliability. If you don't care about a bit lower gas mileage - and the size is OK for you - go for it. Any Chinook from model year 1975 through 1979 is pretty well designed. The first two years - 1973-1974 - not so much. Toyota beefed up the truck to better handle the RV in model year 1975.

I never had a Chinook with the three-speed auto trans so can't comment first-hand how adversely it lowers driving power and fuel mileage. That being said - I had several mid-80sSubarus with 1.8 engines. Several with manual transmissions and several with three-speed automatics. With them - night-and-day difference. My 4WD wagon with the auto was a dog to drive and got around 18 MPG at best. Same exact car with the manual trans drove much nicer and got 24 MPG. I had several of each so this was not an anomaly. Ask the owner what this one gets for best fuel mileage. With a stick it would get 19-23 MPG on highway trips pretty consistently.

If you DO buy it - one word of warning. Make sure that pop-top top is well fastened and locked before driving. It is spring loaded and if not real secure - one big bump and it can open while going down the highway. More then one owner has had the complete top get ripped right off by wind when it accidentally opened at highway speed.

Actually JD,

I believe the transmission in that Chinook is an "A40". It is also a3 speed unit. Toyota shows the A40 as factory automatic transmission for the 1976 Hi-lux.

The A43D is a 4 speed unit.

T

Could be, but not according to my manual. My Toyota Hi-Ace and Hi-Lux service manual for 1971 to 1978 only shows one auto transmission in the original part of the manual up to 1977. The A30. I guess that doesn't mean there weren't others used - but that is the only auto trans in the manual. It reads . . "As from 1973, the A30 three-speed Automatic transmission with a floor-mounted shift has been available as an option on Hi-Lux models using 18R or 20R engines only."

Then there is a Toyota addendum stuck into the back of the manual that reads . . "Commencing with the 1977 models in the Hi-Lux range the later type A40 automatic transmission was offered as an option.

So according to Toyota - 1973 through 1976 model-year Hi-Lux trucks if equipped with an automatic trans - had the A30.

If model year 1977-1978 - it could be an A40.

And yes I know the A43D is four speed in theory. In real life it is a three speed for most users with 20-21 foot RVs since 4th can rarely be used with the OEM rear-axle gearing.

My 75-78 factory suspension and chassis shows the A40 in 1976. A30 last shown 73-75.

The A40 was intended to replace the A30.

If you think about it, why would a manufacturer with perfectly good 3 speed transmission offer yet another 3 speed transmission as an option.

To use up the old inventory before sticking in the new? My book shows different then your's and I wasn't there when this stuff happened. I'm just citing what I'm reading in my Toyota service manuals. Chevrolet and GMC offered old-body style trucks and new at the same time for a few years starting in model-year 1988 on up to 1991. They are not Toyota but it is an example of an auto company "mixing" things up a bit.

My Toyota manuals make of point of expressing "model year" rather then year of actual production. What about your's? Does your book state 1976 as the production year or the model year? Also does it state which series truck? RN23? RN28?

It does not amount to a "hill of beans" what our books state anyway. I find exceptions to the "printed rule" often. I think it is safe to say that the Chinook came with either an A30 or an A40. There may of been both available in the same model year. Mabye in a same production year. Just like 1994 Ford diesel trucks were sold as "old version" indirect injected and also "newer version" with direct-injection and the Power Stroke name.

Lindsay,

If we haven't scared you away completely, search "echo stealth camper".

Found this on tinyhousetalk.com

Unable to copy the link but might be worth reading.

More comments on towing and the transmission.

Chinooks were rated to tow 1000 lb.s since model-year 1975

According to the Chinook 1976 parts and specs manual -the automatic trans is an A30, not an A40. It just shows it as a "three speed automatic" but also gives the gear-ratios. 1st is 2.4, 2nd is 1.47, 3rd is 1, and Rev is 1.920. Those are the ratios for the A30.

A40 has a 2.22 for reverse, unlike the A30 that has 1.92 for reverse. Also the A40 has a 1.45 for 2nd gear, whereas the A30 has 1.47.

In "frugal" Japanese tradition -like my old Subarus - Toyota used the same 4.11 rear-axle ratio for the standard shift and the automatic. That leads me to believe there is a substantial loss of MPGs with the automatic. Normally when corners are not being cut - automatics get lower-number rear-axle ratios to make up for the converter slippage.

But again - I have not driven one. Just guessing by past experience with other cars with non-locking auto verus standard trans and same rear-axle ratios.

post-6578-0-69096900-1446497208_thumb.jp

Thanks for all your feedback everyone. I love the passion!

So these folks are in Alberta, Canada. After some thought, buying a camper for the long haul is not in the cards for me. I really just wanted something to travel through the states for a couple of months this Winter, and then re-sell it. Like I said before, I have a Toyota Echo hatchback, and it plus a tent may be the route to go. Also, I just found this, haha: http://www.farmpunk.ca/convert-your-hatchback-to-a-camper-inspiration-from-tatamagouche-free-school/?fb_source=pubv1

That being said, I'm going to put this out there:

I suspect a lot of you are in the States? If any of you are interested in buying this vehicle, but need someone to pick it up, perhaps there's an arrangement you and I can make? I could pick-it up, do my trip on the way to you, then drop it off to you.

It's a long shot, but thought I'd put it out there. I'm an artist, and I'd be using the trip and camper to do research.

Edited by ldd

Thanks for all your feedback everyone. I love the passion!

So these folks are in Alberta, Canada. After some thought, buying a camper for the long haul is not in the cards for me. I really just wanted something to travel through the states for a couple of months this Winter, and then re-sell it. Like I said before, I have a Toyota Echo hatchback, and it plus a tent may be the route to go. Also, I just found this, haha: http://www.farmpunk.ca/convert-your-hatchback-to-a-camper-inspiration-from-tatamagouche-free-school/?fb_source=pubv1

That being said, I'm going to put this out there:

I suspect a lot of you are in the States? If any of you are interested in buying this vehicle, but need someone to pick it up, perhaps there's an arrangement you and I can make? I could pick-it up, do my trip on the way to you, then drop it off to you.

It's a long shot, but thought I'd put it out there. I'm an artist, and I'd be using the trip and camper to do research.

Did you look at the "echo stealth camper" ?

Might give you some ideas.

Doesn't look too bad (what can be seen in the picture)

I would want to see the whole undercarriage.

Speedometer, ( don't believe the mileage. They're saying it only has 43k miles put on in 39 years).

I would want to see what the floor in the cab looks like under the carpet.

Mechanics' are important. What work has been done to it other than brakes and shocks.

You really don't want to buy a vehicle without driving it yourself.

The transmission with hitch ball would make me nervous. Big $$$$ to fix.

Do you know anybody(other than the seller) who lives close enough to go and test drive for you?

• 4 weeks later...

one other item no one has mentioned: 30+ yr old vehicles commonly tend to have minor electrical issues due to brittle insulation and corroded grounds. plan on getting a multimeter ($5 on sale from Harbor Fright) and doing some debugging.

also, the ONE reference anyone who's a mechanical-noob must know about is the famous Idiot Book (the John Muir Publications How to Keep Your Toyota Truck Alive for the Complete Idiot). you can find a used copy via Amazon or it's available for download on the web (not sure of legalities there)

i'm more a fount of idiocies, half baked ideas, unrealized dreams, and unfinished projects. :clown2: there's a reason my wife coined the term "payaso del mar" (clown of the sea) for me. but thanks, I think. I mentioned the Incredibly Obvious (idiot book) cuz no one else had

:clown2: there's a reason my wife coined the term "payaso del mar" (clown of the sea)

Ahh, I hadn't broken it down to figure it out, other than "del mar". Makes sense now!

i'm more a fount of idiocies, half baked ideas, unrealized dreams, and unfinished projects. :clown2: there's a reason my wife coined the term "payaso del mar" (clown of the sea) for me. but thanks, I think. I mentioned the Incredibly Obvious (idiot book) cuz no one else had

Interesting. I have "mar" in the surname from both my parents -

French and Irish. "Mar" from France refers to a the marshlands - i.e. "swamps." Thus the surname from Northern France i.e. "Des Marets" means "of the swamp." And on my Irish side - "MacNamara" means "son of the sea." Also got "clown." My GGGG-grandparents in Port Royale, New Scotland (Nova Scotia) in the 1600s - had the French name of "Pitre." Pronounced "Peet" and means "clown." Hey, maybe we are distant relatives.

• 7 years later...

Most of our rigs don't have air shocks. We have air bags besides our shocks. Early manufacturers did use air shocks at one time, but the weight of the motorhomes was just too hard on the shock mounts. In your case I think air shocks would be fine. You're just looking for truck shocks not motorhome shocks. The only ones I can find that will fit your vehicle are the Gabrial's. 

Amazon.com: Gabriel 49151 Hijacker : Automotive

Since your new to this I do have to ask why you want air shocks. 

Linda S