Finding A Replacement Fuel Tank

NinaDalphina

Fuel tanks for 1982 models have been discontinued by Toyota a long time ago and I don't know anyone who makes after market tanks. A couple of members here have had their old tanks treated to renew them. Might be your only option or a junk yard for a decent used one.

Linda S

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Noticed Spectra Premium Industries shows replacement fuel tanks for Toyota pickups for all engines & seems all years on their web site. I know Oreilley's Auto Parts sells some of their stuff but don't about fuel tanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a new tank that I got, going for $75.  I have to add a caveat that the one I bought in October already needs to be replaced due to developing leaks. :o  But, that seems to be due to expansion/contraction problems due to gas venting issue, not just a defective gas tank.  

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Replacement/Fuel_Tank/REPT670105.html

Hope you have better luck with yours!   -  Deanna.

7 hours ago, linda s said:

Where did the last one come from that failed so quickly. I'm not sure just the wrong gas cap could damage a well built tank so fast

Linda S

I know!  It seems really odd to me, too...  But I did hear a loud "bonk" noise coming from under my vehicle when it was just sitting there at a campsite, and I heard it on multiple occasions.  The theory is that the gas tank expanding & contracting like that to the point where it "bonked" (suddenly changed shape creating this noise), weakened it in certain key spots, which then started small leaks.

The link I posted above is where I got the new tank in October, that is already leaking now.  However, it's not the first time there's a problem.  The last owner had a leaking gas tank #1, that he replaced with #2.  I'm not sure where either of those came from.  Then I replaced with #3 in October, and now I need to get #4! 

I think I need to get the underlying problem fixed, not just keeping changing tanks! :(

Maybe the guys here can think of something that would cause that. Non vented gas cap would cause performance problems because of the increasing vacuum inside the tank. Has it ever felt like it was stalling?

Linda S

Sounds like what you're hearing is 'oil canning'. Whether it's your gas tank or some other panel, I can't tell from where I am. Sitting next to the gas tank and listening might help locate the source.

Edit: When you remove your present tank, see if it's got any markings on it to help identify the manufacturer.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2017 at 1:07 AM, linda s said:

Maybe the guys here can think of something that would cause that. Non vented gas cap would cause performance problems because of the increasing vacuum inside the tank. Has it ever felt like it was stalling?

Linda S

It hasn't ever felt like it was stalling, though at times it was hard to start.  I went ahead & got the gas tank replaced, and put on a new gas cap too that says it will release excess pressure both ways.  We'll see how this works!

On 3/7/2017 at 6:58 AM, Derek up North said:

Sounds like what you're hearing is 'oil canning'. Whether it's your gas tank or some other panel, I can't tell from where I am. Sitting next to the gas tank and listening might help locate the source.

Edit: When you remove your present tank, see if it's got any markings on it to help identify the manufacturer.

Shoot!  Sorry, but I already had the tank replaced before I read this.  If it happens again (which I REALLY hope it doesn't!), I'll make sure to do this.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2017 at 3:17 PM, deannak said:

Shoot!  Sorry, but I already had the tank replaced before I read this.  If it happens again (which I REALLY hope it doesn't!), I'll make sure to do this.  Thanks!

Make sure you have the correct gas cap and no blocked vent lines or fume recovery items. Maybe someone can chime in how that year tank is vented etc. Incorrect or blocked venting can collapse a tank.