From Ne Pa To California This Past Summer.

mini-wini-dan

Hi All,

I did some posts during and after this trip describing some of the problems encountered. We had our fuel pump failure in the Oregon desert and discovered at the Toyota dealer who worked on it that the previous owner had installed a pump not recognized as a Toyota part. They had to adapt the electrical harness to install a pump designed for Toyota. The one they installed was an after-market pump which failed 350 miles later and again we were towed back to another Toyota dealer. They installed a Toyota pump and installed a fuel pump regulator and it took us home from there in Salt Lake City. Luckily we had AAA premium RV coverage which helped with reimbursement for towing, car rental, hotels and rental cars. We were also refunded about half of the $1300 charged by the first dealer.

Next trip was to North Carolina with no mechanical issues but we had a blow out on a rear tire (one of the 4) The tire still had real good tread but just went to pieces very abruptly and some tread flew off completely. I have heard recently that age is a concern for tire life. I have replace 4 of the 6 tires at this point.

NOW MY QUESTION FOR EXPERIENCED TOYHOME DRIVERS-----The dealer expressed concern about the fact that some parts for the 22rec are now discontinued and fixing could be a problem if no parts are available. Any suggestions on where these older parts are to be found? I am referring mostly to electrical components.

Our Mini has been extremely reliable and we have put 25000 miles on it and we have been to California twice now. I am looking for common concerns so I can be better prepared for any other new breakdown issues.

There are maybe a gillizion Toyota 22R/RE engines running. If Toyota decides to stop making a part, then some aftermarket mfg will step up to the plate and make the same part or a sub.

Alternators, distributors, starters are readily available. In spite of your problems with fuel pumps, a properly sized correctly installed one will work fine on a 22RE and mechanical pumps for the 22R are everywhere.

I agree 100% Toyota used that engine series in every thing even if they start to disappear some one will step up and start to sell "vintage" parts for them. They haven't made MGB's for decades and you can find just about any thing for them. A lot of the manufactures will sell off obsolete tooling to an investor who sees a market.

I have owned a lot of Toyota's and some just shy of 300K and have never replaced a fuel pump on any of them. My 97 4 cylinder one had 285,000 + bit rusty but still ran fine about the only thing I replaced was the clutch at 206K and a power steering pump.

My mini-wini is a fuel injected 22rec (just in case I did not clarify this) I agree and am impressed with the dependability of my Toyotas. I also have an 02 Tacoma wjth a 2.7 4 cyclinder and have 245,000 miles on it and it still runs perfect. Just took it on a 300 mile trip 25 mpg and runs beautifully on the highway. Glad to hear about the possibility for good access to parts for my 86 22rec I love this vehicle!!

• 5 months later...

I know this thread is a couple months old, but just in case anyone lingers in here with a similar question, 22rec is the same exact engine as the 22re. the "c" just means it's California emissions compliant for that era. 22r/re/rec engine parts will be available for decades to come.