Hi all--previously posted about my brake job on the '92 Itasca Spirit. Well, confusion still reigns! Got advice here that I needed NAPA part #SE1581 or 82.

Went to NAPA today to order the left side caliper and was told that the part number was for a 1/2 ton truck. I explained that I have a one ton chassis with dual rear wheels with a motorhome mounted on the chassis. Clerk supplied part#22-01579L which he said is specified for a one ton chassis. Having been this route before and having much trouble finding the correct parts, I am hesitant. Told him to order it anyway and received a call that the part is on backorder. So what's the scoop? Do I have only a one ton rear end and the 1/2 ton caliper (#SE1581 or 82) will fit or do I need the one ton caliper as specified by the NAPA clerk. If I need the one ton where the heck do I find one? Brake job was done about a month ago and I am back on the road (in Florida for the winter--1200 miles and no problems), but they were not able to replace the left caliper when they replaced everything else. We found a right side caliper but couldn't find a left side anywhere. Thanks for all your help.

All the sites I look at specify with or without dual wheels for the calipers. They are not the same as the other models

Linda S

Is there an Oreilly's near. Read the description to see which ones are for duallys or not. Most of these are available shipped to store within 24 hours

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search.oap?keyword=brake+caliper&year=1993&make=Toyota&model=Pickup&vi=1278019

The NAPA # 22-01579 you were told you need is not just a caliper. It is the caliper plus the cast-steel mounting bracket. So it will fit but you are paying for extra parts you do not need.

Here's some photos of some Kelsey Hayes calipers that came from AISIN for Toyota duallys. Without the extra mounting brackets. Look at the photos.

post-6578-0-33739300-1446083934_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-57401200-1446083946_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-12030200-1446083948_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-28403800-1446083949_thumb.jp

I don't understand NAPA's parts system anymore. Their brake parts used to come from Raybestos The correct Raybestos part numbers for your Toyota (1 ton dually) are # 10260 for the left and # 10259 for the right. I have no idea what NAPA is doing now. Different supplier maybe? If unsure - just go to a different parts store and have them do a part-number cross-reference for the Raybestos numbers I just gave you.

Here are the two NAPA calipers side by side along with the Kelsey Hayes (same as the aforementioned Raybestos). I see some reinforcement ribs in 2 out of the three.

post-6578-0-95087600-1446122641_thumb.jp

Here are all four together. All three with ribs are listed for the dually. The NAPA 1581 with no ribs shows for the dually in my 2002 NAPA paper catalog but not in their recent database.

post-6578-0-12637900-1446123195_thumb.jp